Is anyone else having issues receiving MMS messages using the builtin app? This seemed to start recently. I'm getting the "Message expired or not available" response on a lot of messages. And yes I realize there are plenty of other apps that I can use in place of the standard one however, I like the fact that I can use the browser-based client on my laptop.

I tried uninstalling the latest version and got a flood of missed MMS messages when I did but when I got someone to send me a few more, I had the same issue. Anyone know what's going on?

If you are going to make a suggestion to switch, is there something out there that has a simple desktop client that can work with the phone app?

I'm running with the latest updates installed.

Thanks!
    07-21-19 07:42 PM
    What Carrier do you have? This is usually more an issue with network settings.
    07-22-19 11:39 AM
    I am having the same issue and it's become a problem with every single MMS message I get and also some regular SMS messages too! Stock Android Messages app and I'm on TMO. We can't be the only ones with this issue.

I have not uninstalled/reinstalled the app but what I do is a hard reset and that doesn't work every time either.

I want to also add that I use the SMS backup and Restore app, if that makes any difference at all.
    Last edited by TommyBB; 07-24-19 at 10:39 AM.
    07-24-19 10:26 AM
    Might try doing a general search for Nougat MMS Android Messages... see what comes up.

My guess...

Reset Phone
    Remove SIM, Reboot a few times, reinstall SIM
    Backup messages - Clear App cache
    Backup messages - disable app, reboot and re-enable
    Try a new SIM - or call and talk to tech support.
    Do a Factory Reset.
    07-25-19 09:27 AM
    What Carrier do you have? This is usually more an issue with network settings.
    I'm using Telus in Ontario. If this was a carrier issue wouldn't a lot of other people experience the same thing? I did try a few reboots and cleared my cache but I didn't do a factory reset or anything like that.

I have in installed Textra and there are zero issues with it. It receives every message, MMS or SMS, properly without any problems. If it works flawlessly I have to believe that it is something in the builtin app that is problematic. Of course I lost the ability to use the desktop browser which is a bit frustrating but it's better than not receiving messages at all.
    07-27-19 07:51 AM

I have in installed Textra and there are zero issues with it. It receives every message, MMS or SMS, properly without any problems.
    I might have to try Textra.
    07-30-19 03:46 PM
    I'm with Telus but I attribute my same issue to a clogged up phone. when I free up texts and other things it seems to not happen or at least less often.
    08-01-19 12:17 AM
    This is probably totally unrelated, but I am having issues with videos and now pictures I take, that I then can't open/access. After reading Dwaynie Boys reply, despite having tons of storage, maybe I will spend an hour deleting some of the photos/videos (even though should get error message to warn of low storage).
    08-01-19 08:28 AM
    I'm using Textra currently as Dzorbas suggested and so far, flawless. This should eliminate the OS as the issue and point back to the Messages app.
    saxxman likes this.
    08-01-19 12:17 PM
    Just as an update: After nearly a month with Textra, no issues and working perfectly. I have emailed Google Messages team about my issues weeks ago with no response from them, so far.
    08-23-19 08:31 AM
    FWIW, I have this issue with stock Text app if running wifi-calling. (T-Mo USA) Soon as I go onto cell everything works. However, T-Mo Digits works perfectly.
    08-23-19 10:18 AM
    FWIW, I have this issue with stock Text app if running wifi-calling. (T-Mo USA) Soon as I go onto cell everything works. However, T-Mo Digits works perfectly.
    I'm on the same provider but I don't run WiFi Calling. I run "Cellular Preferred".

Hmm, is Digits a text app or more?
    08-26-19 02:41 PM
    Did you notice any difference after deleting picture texts etc on your phone?
    08-27-19 09:30 PM
    This is probably totally unrelated, but I am having issues with videos and now pictures I take, that I then can't open/access. After reading Dwaynie Boys reply, despite having tons of storage, maybe I will spend an hour deleting some of the photos/videos (even though should get error message to warn of low storage).
    Did you notice any difference after deleting picture texts and more?
    08-27-19 09:31 PM
    I'm on the same provider but I don't run WiFi Calling. I run "Cellular Preferred".

Hmm, is Digits a text app or more?
    It's more... look it up on one of the T-Mo sites. It's big use -- aside from working in general -- is you can use it to assign your phone # to up to five devices.
    08-30-19 06:01 AM
    Sadly, I'm back to the "MMS message failed" is with the Textra app. Please, if someone has a solution that they are aware of, let us know. I certainly cannot continue like this. I have the full, paid version. Honestly, I could care less what messaging app i use, so long as it works as it should.
    09-30-19 10:00 AM
    I'm trying a few things here and I'll share for everyone's knowledge. Textra has a troubleshooting section within their app. Following their recommendations, I have deleted the Messages app and applied my carrier send limit to 300kb. I have also shut down Wi-Fi Calling. So far, texting pictures back and forth with my son has been successful. I'll report back if anything changes.
    09-30-19 09:51 PM
    Yes, wifi-calling seems to cause issues with MMS. Digits doesn't have that problem, but it doesn't seem to work in the Hub.
    10-09-19 06:46 AM