I've had my Z30 now for over 4 years. Been itching to find a new device. The Z30 was my personal device. I also had a Priv for work. BUT, I also had a cheap Moto G3 at home for personal Android fun. That meant I often carried 3 devices at home... And it had to stop.

Been debating between the DTEK60 and the Motion the past couple weeks. If I could find a DTEK60 for $300 CAD, I would have bought it. But the cheapest was $500 on Amazon... Telus was selling the Motion for $0 for a contract extension ($600 no extension). So I went for it.

The transition from Z30 to Motion has been ok, mostly because of my year long experience with the Priv. Personally, I will always maintain BB10 as the superior OS, but I prefer Android to Apple.

Quick observations:
    - Build quality is nice
    - Have not tried the camera yet
    - Home button is weird after using the touch Priv home button so long.
    - Dreaded moving my BBM over, due to losing any chats not currently in Groups.
    - Logging in my Yahoo email addresses was funny, because it wouldn't work at first, citing "an unsecured app is trying to access to Yahoo mail, and we don't allow older security programs access".
    - It will be nice to stop using the Moto G3. It's a good budget phone, but the 8GB of storage was terrible.
    - Transferring using Google Drive backup was ok.
    - Hub on Android is so much weaker than BB10. I never liked it on my Priv, and still don't like it here. Is there a way that when it opens, it's auto in the email account selection window. Instead of the actual Hub? I find the actual Hub section the worst. I never understood grouping individual emails everything in a single column. But I loved seeing my list of email accounts, with a number beside it showing how many new messages, and then selecting the one I needed to check.
    12-03-17 12:05 AM
    - Hub on Android is so much weaker than BB10. I never liked it on my Priv, and still don't like it here. Is there a way that when it opens, it's auto in the email account selection window. Instead of the actual Hub? I find the actual Hub section the worst. I never understood grouping individual emails everything in a single column. But I loved seeing my list of email accounts, with a number beside it showing how many new messages, and then selecting the one I needed to check.
    Have you tried creating a new view from the Hub's hamburger menu that just contains your email accounts? You can create a homescreen widget for it which might help.
    12-03-17 12:22 AM
    Have you tried creating a new view from the Hub's hamburger menu that just contains your email accounts? You can create a homescreen widget for it which might help.
    Thanks. I have tried doing a custom view. I currently have one that is just for emails. But what I'm looking for is the same view as when you go into the Hub, but swipe right. You see the list of accounts, and a number beside each. So I could just get used to doing this way, but it's annoying to have to do the extra step every time. At least on BB10, if you left the Hub in this particular view, when you swipe right to go back to the Hub, it will still be in this view (rather than back in the aggregated view. I know, it's a minor complaint, but it's always nagged me. Especially since you have to swipe right from the bezel, not from anywhere on the screen...
    12-03-17 12:55 AM
    I agree. I use a Passport on bb10 but just got a Motion for my wife. The hub on bb10 is way nicer. Not really even recognizable actually on the Android phone. The list of accounts with the number beside it is so nice.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-17 11:41 PM
    You know one thing I really like, the look of the back. It's so much better than a glass body.

At first I didn't like the rounded edge at the top, but that's only because I'm so used to picking up my Z30 from the top and bottom at the same time. I will eventually stop doing that.

But the grey colour, the textured back... I think it looks great.

Another note, I was reading the manual, and it points out, NOT to use the pin for the micro sd in the top microphone hole. I thought, that's a good thing to note, but who's actually going to do that. Then... a few hours later when I was installing my micro sd, I went straight for it. As soon as I inserted it, I realized my stupidity.

Still getting used to the physical home button. Neither my Priv or Z30 had this. I find myself swiping or lightly tapping it a lot. Should break this habit eventually.

Power button location. My Moto G3 has this swapped with the volume rocker. So... I often go to turn on the phone, and hit the volume button, so nothing happens. I understand the comment now from Mr Mobile.

Convenience Key. I put the flashlight on this button. Love it. Though shame I need to hit power button first, then convenience key. Not a big deal. Still better than turning on, swiping down, and hitting the shortcut.
    12-03-17 11:42 PM
    Ok, one thing I need to follow up on. I love the look and feel of the metal trim all the way around. However, it makes it fairly slippery when typing! Worse is leaning back, like lying back in bed. Keep dropping my phone on myself.
    12-06-17 12:04 AM
    Forced to use borrowed Android Galaxy S6 while travelling, Z10 left at home in error. After Day 1 of absolutely hating the phone, now apps are a revelation: they just work. Other usages can become accustomed I guess. BUT: everybody on Earth has either an iPhone or a Galaxy and frankly I miss the rarity, niche and cachet of BlackBerry. So for the first time ever I consider, say, Motion. I prefer VKB over PKB of KeyONE. It seems a bit large which is not good, love size and heft of Z10, but my question is about the Hub. Can it be suppressed?! On the Z10 it is just always THERE or just a swipe away, and I use a phone for so much more than mere comms. Can it be suppressed, and email, texts, and the rest, accessed as case by case requirement?
    12-06-17 04:18 AM
    Forced to use borrowed Android Galaxy S6 while travelling, Z10 left at home in error. After Day 1 of absolutely hating the phone, now apps are a revelation: they just work. Other usages can become accustomed I guess. BUT: everybody on Earth has either an iPhone or a Galaxy and frankly I miss the rarity, niche and cachet of BlackBerry. So for the first time ever I consider, say, Motion. I prefer VKB over PKB of KeyONE. It seems a bit large which is not good, love size and heft of Z10, but my question is about the Hub. Can it be suppressed?! On the Z10 it is just always THERE or just a swipe away, and I use a phone for so much more than mere comms. Can it be suppressed, and email, texts, and the rest, accessed as case by case requirement?
    I never had my own Z10, but used my wife's all the time. It's a nice little phone, but too small for me.

The Hub cannot be deleted from what I understand. But yes you can suppress it. Get rid of the Hub icon on the home screen. Don't add any email accounts to the Hub. Text messages have a separate shortcut already. And disable notifications. You should be good.
    venter likes this.
    12-06-17 08:18 AM
    You can suppress it if you want; it can be disabled along with Hub Services. You can't unload it, but if it's disabled it won't run.
    12-06-17 08:58 AM
    are you ready to provide us with your assessment of the camera? so far, none of this is encouraging. i'm typing on a classic right now and it's pretty cool, but my passport is still king...outdated as it may be, there's just nothing out there that can replace it.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 09:16 AM
    are you ready to provide us with your assessment of the camera? so far, none of this is encouraging. i'm typing on a classic right now and it's pretty cool, but my passport is still king...outdated as it may be, there's just nothing out there that can replace it.

Posted via CBX
    With a Passport and a Classic, I thought you would be more of a KEYᵒⁿᵉ candidate rather than the Motion.
    12-06-17 09:23 AM
    i came very close to buying a black edition, but i just couldnt justify the price. maybe boxing week specials will entice me.. also, the phone is too damn big, but the keys are too small for my thumbs. i started looking at the motion because of the ip67 rating...i find that very appealing, but the device seems to be a big letdown.

in any case i'm in for disappointment after being spoiled by the passport for many years. it will live on for a while, i think..so far everything i need still works but web browsing is becoming painful. its got me shopping around and the scene is depressing.

it seems no one builds premium devices anymore, yet they all want premium prices.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 09:47 AM
    i came very close to buying a black edition, but i just couldnt justify the price. maybe boxing week specials will entice me.. also, the phone is too damn big, but the keys are too small for my thumbs. i started looking at the motion because of the ip67 rating...i find that very appealing, but the device seems to be a big letdown.

in any case i'm in for disappointment after being spoiled by the passport for many years. it will live on for a while, i think..so far everything i need still works but web browsing is becoming painful. its got me shopping around and the scene is depressing.

it seems no one builds premium devices anymore, yet they all want premium prices.

Posted via CBX
    I used the Passport SE as my primary device as well. You would not be disappointed by the build quality of the KEYᵒⁿᵉ - it's just as good in my opinion.

I prefer the KEYᵒⁿᵉ pkb, as it doesn't require as much thumb travel (causing less strain for those of us who type all day), but retains all of the other great features.

It's still a smaller package than the Motion.

The Passport SE was $549 USD at launch - same price as the KEYᵒⁿᵉ. But you can get it for under $500 now.
    12-06-17 09:57 AM
    i would only consider the 4GB black version...for $500 cdn.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 10:36 AM
    i would only consider the 4GB black version...for $500 cdn.

Posted via CBX
    Come on. $375 USD? That's silly and you know it.
    12-06-17 10:54 AM
    Come on. $375 USD? That's silly and you know it.
    current exchange rate aside, it's a lot of money.
    i'm not opposed to purchasing a lightly used device.
    i bought a brand-new passport for less, in store, 2 or 3 years ago.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 10:56 AM
    current exchange rate aside, it's a lot of money.
    i'm not opposed to purchasing a lightly used device.

Posted via CBX
    Even the lowly Q5 was $399 USD. You'll never get a quality niche pkb device at the numbers you are quoting.
    12-06-17 10:58 AM
    see my edit.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 10:59 AM
    fact is, the keyone is not a high-end phone. neither is the motion. their pricing is out to lunch because bbmobile is counting on wealthy nostalgic bb-fans to fork over extra money for the name alone. thats not how i make purchase decisions.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 11:03 AM
    fact is, the keyone is not a high-end phone. neither is the motion. their pricing is out to lunch because bbmobile is counting on wealthy nostalgic bb-fans to fork over extra money for the name alone. thats not how i make purchase decisions.

Posted via CBX
    I honestly don't believe they are trying to charge one cent more than what they need in order to make the whole effort worthwhile.

Quite the contrary, in fact. I would imagine they are still taking substantial losses trying to get this going.
    12-06-17 11:15 AM
    I honestly don't believe they are trying to charge one cent more than what they need in order to make the whole effort worthwhile.

Quite the contrary, in fact. I would imagine they are still taking substantial losses trying to get this going.
    that's only because they will sell a limited number of phones to nostalgia buyers and not really attract any 'new' users..

i wish their strategy was to build better phones, causing a stir, and enticing a larger market share...thereby reducing the profit margin necessary on each device to float the company. their vision is much shorter.
    such is our throwaway-society nowadays i suppose.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 11:21 AM
    that's only because they will sell a limited number of phones to nostalgia buyers and not really attract any 'new' users..

i wish their strategy was to build better phones, causing a stir, and enticing a larger market share...thereby reducing the profit margin necessary on each device to float the company. their vision is much shorter.
    such is our throwaway-society nowadays i suppose.

Posted via CBX
    By "better", you mean "more expensive still"?

Adding an iPhone X camera and a 835 SoC would only push the price up a lot farther. And honestly, for the communication person, the added horsepower is wasted - all else being equal, just drains more battery.

Given that they are already absorbing losses on every unit sold, what device would cause more "stir" with the COMMUNICATOR market?

The Essential and OnePlus 5T already appeal to the people who want cheap-price high specs.

The S8 / Note 8 / iPhone already appeal to the people who want premium-price high specs.

Blu, ZTE, and many others take care of the entry market.

There is no room for TCL in any of those 3 markets. They are making the case for a niche, middle of the road price, secure, sturdy, productive, communicator. There is no shame in admitting that you personally don't fit in this category.
    phuoc and tfitzpat03 like this.
    12-06-17 11:26 AM
    that IS my category. this is why i'm clinging to the Passport. it is unsurpassed in that category. three years later, i'm supposed to 'upgrade' to an inferior device that costs more and has a (lets face it, rather lousy) undesirable operating system (and hub)....this move is going to seriously degrade my enjoyment of communicating.

Posted via CBX
    12-06-17 11:54 AM

Posted via CBX
    I used to think that people were joking when they said that the camera quality mattered on a smartphone, because it's about the 37th thing I would consider when evaluating a device. But I have to concede that it really DOES matter to a lot of people.

My attitude is that, if the photo matters, I'll use a real camera, and if it doesn't matter, the phone is convenient, but then I don't care much about the quality.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-06-17 11:57 AM
    that IS my category. this is why i'm clinging to the Passport. it is unsurpassed in that category. three years later, i'm supposed to 'upgrade' to an inferior device that costs more and has a (lets face it, rather lousy) undesirable operating system (and hub)....this move is going to seriously degrade my enjoyment of communicating.

Posted via CBX
    It's funny that BlackBerry made their phones only too well. They don't break, and BB10's performance on 3-5 year old hardware is as good or better than Android and iOS on newer phones for the same native functions.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-06-17 11:59 AM
54 123