Anyone have any idea when the Motion will be released as factory unlocked in Canada?
    11-12-17 03:05 PM
    Have an idea. Usually In previous they after launch a month or two , but Dec 1st is when all phones are unlocked in Canada. Excluding the Dtek60 that I got at Staples on Launch Day.
    In other words I would expect December 1st to be Motion's unlocked day.
    Just my thoughts.. 😁👉🔓📱
    11-12-17 03:21 PM
    All phones sold in Canada as of Dec 1st must be sold unlocked, but there will be carrier exclusivity agreements in place. We don't know the details, but 1 to 2 months?
    11-12-17 04:17 PM
    All phones sold in Canada as of Dec 1st must be sold unlocked, but there will be carrier exclusivity agreements in place. We don't know the details, but 1 to 2 months?
    But we are all painfully aware that carrier-unlocked is NOT the same thing as factory-unlocked.
    11-12-17 04:52 PM
    But we are all painfully aware that carrier-unlocked is NOT the same thing as factory-unlocked.
    I believe, and I may be incorrect on this, the true facts may not come out for a while, that carriers will simply allow for factory unlocked devices.

It would be pointless to order devices to be locked, only to be forced to be unlocked.

That being said, I'm sure there will be other and other measures to prevent devices to be as if they were factory unlocked.

Although we'll see. It might be governed by inserted sim card instead.

Either way, worth waiting until the 1st to make any purchases.
    11-12-17 06:31 PM
    Anyone have any idea when the Motion will be released as factory unlocked in Canada?
    I kind of have a feeling that your question had little or nothing to do with the carriers and more to do about when this device will be available from the likes of Amazon, Blueshop, etc...

But I don't believe that anyone knows that yet. I think we're already tuned in to the right place as soon as any information is revealed.
    11-12-17 07:45 PM
    Correct. PDA Plaza has had it unlocked for pre-order with a stock delivery date of 11/15 for over a week now, but the model they're listing is the international model.
    11-12-17 08:01 PM
    I believe, and I may be incorrect on this, the true facts may not come out for a while, that carriers will simply allow for factory unlocked devices.
    I certainly hope so. Everyone wins.
    11-12-17 09:34 PM
    I certainly hope so. Everyone wins.
    I hope so too but I have a feeling carriers will still have control over updates rendering the so called unlocked devices as pretty much locked anyways.
    11-12-17 10:12 PM
    Maybe it's worth waiting until factory unlocked Motions will be available sometime in January.

And by then we should have a better idea about how good this new device actually is.
    11-12-17 11:02 PM
    Myself I will be waiting until Staples.ca has it . BlackBerry phones are unlocked there .
    11-13-17 01:37 PM
    I hope so too but I have a feeling carriers will still have control over updates rendering the so called unlocked devices as pretty much locked anyways.
    As @JohnViera has said, it would be pointless for carriers to get locked devices anymore in the first place. There will probably be a fair bit of lag as there will be all of the current inventory left yet to sell. Perhaps those remaining ones will be "unlocked by carrier" vs "factory unlocked" and, of course, only at the request of the customer.

So, there will be some delay and a significant grey period, it's not going to just be a sudden change. Slowly but surely though, I would also think that all of the new devices sold will be identical to those purchased directly from the manufacturer. As the 'locking' to begin with must be an extra expense currently.
    11-13-17 01:41 PM
    As @JohnViera has said, it would be pointless for carriers to get locked devices anymore in the first place.
    Carriers are great at doing pointless things though. Never underestimate stupidity.
    11-13-17 03:58 PM
    Blackberry should drop a holidays special on the motion to boost sales maybe 400$ unlock.. to woow new customers and lost BB users back
    So many other great phone on this 400$ range
    I got a Huawei honor 6x for 150$ new will definitely get the hub service and BB launcher on it.....

Posted via CB10
    11-13-17 04:20 PM
    Carriers are great at doing pointless things though. Never underestimate stupidity.
    Especially Canadian carriers.
    11-13-17 05:20 PM

It would be pointless to order devices to be locked, only to be forced to be unlocked.

That being said, I'm sure there will be other and other measures to prevent devices to be as if they were factory unlocked.

Although we'll see. It might be governed by inserted sim card instead.

Either way, worth waiting until the 1st to make any purchases.
    The good news is, there will be mass confusion over 'unblocked' devices for the first few months of this whole unlocking business

Is it factory unlocked?
    Is it carrier unlocked?
    Is it international unlocked?

Gonna be crazy and likely lots of passed off people one way or another.
    11-13-17 05:31 PM
    #truth
    11-13-17 06:11 PM
    Theoretically now, but after Dec 1st. It is law that they have to deliver all phones unlocked.
    I picked mine up yesterday " No Term" and Bell tells me that they Legally have to unlock it.
    11-13-17 08:09 PM
    I don't think anyone is doubting the new law but given the control carriers like to have, I still think they will find a way to stay in control of updates. I wouldn't doubt if once a sim is activated in a device it somehow ties it to that carrier for updates. So sure the device is unlocked and you will be able to use it on another Carrier if you choose, I just think they will find a way to stay in control of software updates.
    11-13-17 08:14 PM
    a little off topic, but how about for carriers such as Public Mobile that don't carry phones? what incentive would they have to hold back an update?
    11-13-17 10:23 PM
    a little off topic, but how about for carriers such as Public Mobile that don't carry phones? what incentive would they have to hold back an update?
    Afraid that updates that haven't been thoroughly vetted cause their customer problems. Instead of the customer blaming OEM, they blame carrier. At very least, when problems occur, customers will call their carrier for support. What carrier wants to have to pay employees to deal with problems that aren't their creation?
    11-13-17 11:01 PM
    Just so you guys are aware all devices (motions) are being sent to carriers factory unlocked . Doesn’t make a lot of sense to ship these out carriers locked and then the carriers will have to unlock on dec 1. This is what I was told last Wednesday
    11-14-17 12:15 AM
    Although , this is true
    11-14-17 12:19 AM
    Just so you guys are aware all devices (motions) are being sent to carriers factory unlocked . Doesn’t make a lot of sense to ship these out carriers locked and then the carriers will have to unlock on dec 1. This is what I was told last Wednesday
    Fantastic!
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-14-17 04:00 AM
    I don't trust any trusted member.
    the brother likes this.
    11-14-17 11:14 AM
83 123 ...