So on first look the chin was rather offputting for me. The rest of the design seemed to be pretty nice though.

After seeing it in-hand (pics/vid) and the fact the navigation buttons are on either side of the middle button the space for the chin makes a bit more sense and seems less like a waste.

However, I'm wondering if the button is a real button or is it just a fancy looking layer for a capacitive touch point?

My concern with this is the eventual wear of that physical button. It is the home button which will get a lot of use so how long is it going to last before it starts to wear down?
    10-10-17 10:55 AM
    My concern with this is the eventual wear of that physical button. It is the home button which will get a lot of use so how long is it going to last before it starts to wear down?
    If there is one company on earth with decades of experience and endless patents for making reliable buttons, it's Blackberry. I have no doubt that TCL is tapping into that expertise.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm certainly not.
    10-10-17 11:34 AM
    Valid point. I'd still be ok if it was just a fancy capacitive area.
    10-10-17 11:54 AM
    So on first look the chin was rather offputting for me. The rest of the design seemed to be pretty nice though.

After seeing it in-hand (pics/vid) and the fact the navigation buttons are on either side of the middle button the space for the chin makes a bit more sense and seems less like a waste.

However, I'm wondering if the button is a real button or is it just a fancy looking layer for a capacitive touch point?

But that's what happened with every other phone with home button, it wears, scratches, etc

They all still work though as fingerprint sensors...
    10-10-17 03:19 PM