03-17-18 11:01 AM
340 ... 121314
tools
    These are not bad.... they show the same things I've seen in the others.

The KeyONE oversharpens (by quite a bit compared to the Motion) but in these shots I'm seeing one thing I haven't seen in some of the others, which is a fair bit of luminence noise in the Motion shots. Then again the Motion is shooting at ISO 1600 (!) so that's to be expected, and a shutter of 1/20th. You did well holding the camera still.

The KeyONE fired at ISO748 and 1/15th second. It is also underexposd on the shot of the camera, but got less luminence noise as a result (well duh, it shot at a lower ISO!) But the artifacting (which is a function of the oversharpening the camera is doing, then JPEG compression is layered on top of it) is NASTY.

Here's a place where you can see it quite-clearly in the camera shot; it's right near or at the focal point in terms of distance (although not what the sensor locked on)...
    Blurry Camera?-artifact.png
    Blurry Camera?-artifact.png

There's a small bit of camera shake in the picture of the fruits and veggies and the laptop on the Motion side, but neither is bad. It's only really visible under >100% magnification, but it's there. On the camera shot it's not.

Despite firing at a full stop higher in ISO I'll take the Motion shot all day long and twice on Sunday. It also chose a cooler white balance, which is interesting and consistent with the other photos that have been posted -- but if you don't like that it's also easily adjusted.

I find the metering interesting on these shots too; center-weighted average is the default for both cameras, and the shot where it really shows up is the laptop. The pen and white background to the top left is overexposed on the Motion shot but on the other hand "center-weighted average" means what it says and that part of the shot is right up the middle. If anything the KeyONE is *underexposed* from a standpoint of what it was told to meter on.

BTW one thing that sort of rubs me the wrong way on these cameras is that NEITHER reports white balance in the EXIF data.
    12-18-17 08:11 AM
    My take-away is that the Motion camera is NOT terrible. It is less forgiving of a bad photographer (camera shake) but if you know what you are doing you can get good results.
    12-18-17 08:36 AM
    Going to purchase a Motion in January, just waiting for the holiday season to wrap up. Question for those of you who have a Motion, has anyone or can anyone, try the Motion using the app 'Open Camera' and see if your results are better, the same, or worse than the stock camera please?

I have tried the app on my passport, and it results in cleaner shots in all scenarios, even if just a bit.

Curious if it'll work the same for Motion

Posted via CB10
    12-18-17 08:42 AM
    My take-away is that the Motion camera is NOT terrible. It is less forgiving of a bad photographer (camera shake) but if you know what you are doing you can get good results.
    That's a physics thing. ALL of the comparison shots thus far have been with reasonably-comparable shutter speeds which is the only thing that compensates for camera shake -- other than OIS, which neither camera has.

The KeyONE places the shutter button on the screen higher up (because the keyboard, yanno), and thus has less of a lever-arm through which to move the camera itself (both of which are in about the same place physically on the phone.)

I do not know if the sharpening is done in the camera module itself or in the software on the device, but wherever it is being done the KeyONE does materially too much of it. That's a real shame because there's no way to "undo" that and sharpening ALWAYS interacts badly with JPEG compression, especially in shadow areas of the image. This is a common complaint with cell cameras and it's one of the biggest arguments for demanding from manufacturers UNADJUSTED raw output that you can manipulate later. Having it save both a JPEG and RAW as an option is fine (I'd like lossless PNG too but I've yet to see any cell camera maker OR dSLR firm offer that), but not having Raw or lossless PNG sucks because you can't undo the damage that sharpening (and JPEG compression) does. In this day of huge SD cards and cloud storage there's no reason not to allow that; yes, the files would be very large but so what? For the "average" social media poster they don't care about this because those uploads are consumed on a small screen where the inherent display ratio is something like 15% of whatever the native sensor's print size (at 100% crop) would be, so you simply don't see it -- and at that resolution it *does* make the picture look better.

Unfortunately it destroys the image quality when you try to use it at anything approaching 100% size.
    12-18-17 09:14 AM
    I've reported camera issue, it's known and BlackBerry will be attending to it in the new year as it's known to them.
    John - BlackBerry Delta Tester for the Motion.
    the brother likes this.
    12-19-17 03:30 AM
    Anyone try the 'Open Camera' app that I suggested yet?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-17 12:27 PM
    Anyone try the 'Open Camera' app that I suggested yet?

Posted via CB10
    I've tried Open Camera (not extensively) and the only thing to me that stands out, more consistent focus. Essentially, the chances of netting a blurry photo appears reduced. Need to toy with it a bit more before we can fully evaluate.
    12-21-17 05:04 PM
    I've reported camera issue, it's known and BlackBerry will be attending to it in the new year as it's known to them.
    John - BlackBerry Delta Tester for the Motion.
    Good to hear that!
    12-21-17 05:27 PM
    Good to hear that!
    I'm a wee bit sceptical they'll be able to improve it much via software. Today was again looking at photos off my 2012 phone w/8MP shooter and OH the Motion, how can this be 5+ years later??? Sorry but IMHO the price warranted a much better camera/results than I'm seeing.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    12-21-17 06:37 PM
    I'm a wee bit sceptical they'll be able to improve it much via software. Today was again looking at photos off my 2012 phone w/8MP shooter and OH the Motion, how can this be 5+ years later??? Sorry but IMHO the price warranted a much better camera/results than I'm seeing.
    I will be honest. Only took one of two photos with my new motion (bought this week) and can't say if it's good or bad but it's good that they replied and will look into this issue that people are complaint. But yeah I think you are right don't believe they will make a big difference with some update.
    the brother likes this.
    12-22-17 01:15 AM
    Software can make quite the difference. Time will tell I guess, but it's good that they will at least look into it.

For those who have one, how does the Motion camera compare to, say the Dtek50?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-17 04:13 AM
    I've tried Open Camera (not extensively) and the only thing to me that stands out, more consistent focus. Essentially, the chances of netting a blurry photo appears reduced. Need to toy with it a bit more before we can fully evaluate.
    Thank you for trying it out. I look forward to testing it as well once I get a motion.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-17 06:12 AM
    try open camera app, or, set to the camera to manual and have a play around with it.
    Manual focus is brilliant ! resolution is so so but as before, tcl know about it and I as a Delta Tester believe it to be the cameras own firmware to be the conflict issue causing the focus to constantly lose lock hence try manual. 16:9 seems to reproduce good pictures, as of 1:1 ratio. 4:3 for some reason doesn't.
    persevere is all can say. John.
    01-01-18 09:18 PM
    This is with auto focus off and similar light conditions. No amount of tapping to focus helps. This was taken with it on a solid platform. Very very poor detail. Not blurry, but tremendously soft. Please @bbmobile do something.
    On this one which object did you tap to focus on?
    02-21-18 09:28 AM
    Hi everyone, the Camera on the Motion was doing great until recently. In mid light shots everything is very very soft. In low light it's worse still. Hoping that BlackBerry Mobile has a fix in the works because the KeyOne takes stellar shots under the same conditions!

Just wondering if others have noticed too?
    No matter which phone it is, the answer is usually finger prints on the camera lens. Give the lens a clean and see if it all improves.

Tip: Always give the lens a wipe on your sleeve before taking a photo. It works for me - often!!!
    03-17-18 11:01 AM
340 ... 121314