Is anyone else disappointed in having 32gbs of storage as the only option? I am interested in the phone for work use and I would like to see at least 64.
    Thoughts?
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-24-17 08:46 AM
    I agree.
    10-24-17 08:50 AM
    Thoughts?
    Add a 32GB SD card. Done. There's your 64GB+
    10-24-17 08:59 AM
    I typically add 128gb and still am short even with the existing 32gb (on my passport). Would have loved 64gb like on the black KeyOne
    10-24-17 09:02 AM
    I typically add 128gb and still am short even with the existing 32gb (on my passport). Would have loved 64gb like on the black KeyOne
    What is taking so much room on device storage? (assuming ALL of your media is on the SD card.)
    10-24-17 09:05 AM
    Except an SD Card is slower and less reliable than internal storage. I was once very negative about Apple and the data storage limitations and costs.... after 10 years and several failed cards and some data loss, I'm not as negative about it anymore. My view is 64GB is minimum today.... want future proof you find a phone with a 128GB minimum as an option. SD Card is for temporary storage or things that you have synced with the cloud.

That said, I doubt enterprise has any great need for much more than 32GB.... those types of regulated customers are going to be limiting app installation and data storage on the device. So for the market intended 32GB is probable just fine... for now.
    10-24-17 09:25 AM
    Except an SD Card is slower and less reliable than internal storage. I was once very negative about Apple and the data storage limitations and costs.... after 10 years and several failed cards and some data loss, I'm not as negative about it anymore. My view is 64GB is minimum today.... want future proof you find a phone with a 128GB minimum as an option. SD Card is for temporary storage or things that you have synced with the cloud.

That said, I doubt enterprise has any great need for much more than 32GB.... those types of regulated customers are going to be limiting app installation and data storage on the device. So for the market intended 32GB is probable just fine... for now.
    To each their own. Can't really agree though. I've had the same 64GB card for years now and it has never caused me any issues. Meanwhile, my 128GB iPhone 6+ is practially unusable thanks to iOS now being a dumpster fire. So all the good that 128GB is doing me.
    10-24-17 09:30 AM
    I'm going to have to side with the 64gb+ minimum storage side.

For many years I've used phones with 32gb of storage, even my current one is just that.

I do augment it with a 64gb card, that I use for music and such.

For the most part, it's not really a problem, I have plenty of free space for now.

But as apps grow in complexity, and as developers get lazy about storage and processing requirements, junk data, cache, and other stuff gets stored automatically with no user interaction.

We can run out of space very quickly.

I think at this point, the base storage, at least for flagship devices should be 64gb.
    10-24-17 09:34 AM
    I place all my music, three 7-season TV shows and a ton of pics on my phone.
    10-24-17 11:18 AM
    I place all my music, three 7-season TV shows and a ton of pics on my phone.
    Why? Device storage is about 2-4x the cost of external storage. And if you change phones, it all has to be moved.
    Last edited by conite; 10-24-17 at 01:10 PM.
    10-24-17 11:24 AM
    For the price, the card should be included
    10-24-17 11:25 AM
    Is anyone else disappointed in having 32gbs of storage as the only option? I am interested in the phone for work use and I would like to see at least 64.
    Thoughts?
    Sure it would be nice to have more storage , but still nobody will be happy anyway.
    32gb is alright for now just get rid of all the apps you are not using and put all your pictures and videos in cloud. Get a 128gb sd or more . In a year or so you will be looking for the next best thing anyways. Then you could pop that SD card into the new phone.
    Or Maybe wait a couple of months they could have a Limited Silver Edition Motion with 6ram, 64gb storage . Who knows ? I'm waiting ,because I'm happy with what I got now. It just works so why fix it when it's not broken.
    Just my thoughts...
    10-24-17 11:40 AM
    I'd rather save $100 on the device and use that money to buy a bigger SD card. I'm with those who have NEVER had a problem with SD cards (I don't cheap out on the brands; I just wait for good deals).

As long as the internal storage is adequate (and 32gigs is definitely that as long as it isn't being used for your media - photos, music, videos, etc), then I would rather not pay through the nose for internal storage like Apple's pricing tier.

As long as TCL keeps making devices with expandable storage, I'm happy.
    10-24-17 11:47 AM
    I think at this point, the base storage, at least for flagship devices should be 64gb.
    I really don't think that the Motion is what many people would refer to as a 'flagship' device. But, then again, that term is thrown around quite a bit nowadays.
    TCM01 and rcab like this.
    10-24-17 11:49 AM
    I've yet to see an argument for "needing" 64Gb of internal storage IF YOU HAVE AN SD SLOT.

Most people carry around a lot of data that is (1) read almost-always (in other words, "write-nearly-never") and (2) very large, comparatively. The poster children for this are pictures, music and video files. The first and last are usually written exactly once on the device, the middle one written never (other than to load it.)

There is utterly no reason to spend high-performance, high-speed-write-capable NV on those files, and plenty of reason (cost!) not to. They fit and work perfectly on an SD card, and in addition that means said card is transportable. Finally, those files usually have no security implications associated with them. The possible exception are videos and pictures taken on the device but for your music or video library -- who cares if someone steals it (maybe the publisher, but almost-certainly not you!)

I'm a HEAVY user. In addition to all sorts of data that is volatile and potentially sensitive I have an offline mapping app (which has a 2Gb data store behind it!) in system NV on my DTEK60, plus multiple offline areas from Google Maps. The phone has over 100 apps on it. Current NV consumption is 11.6Gb out of 32; in other words, materially under half. I'm not skeered.

My SD card, on the the other hand, is about half full -- and is a 128Gb model.

Why would I pay to have a 128Gb PHONE when some 60Gb of the data that I carry around with me is essentially "read-only" and replaceable on a trivial basis if lost? Why would I pay for the high-performance NV required to stash that without an SD card? That would likely be a $200+ increase in cost -- the card cost me $50, AND it both came out of my Priv when I upgraded to the DTEK60 and will go into my NEXT device, so that $50 is spent ONCE instead of, if I didn't have it, resulting in $600 of expense across those three devices.

It's not hard to figure out; of course the device manufacturer would rather have my $600. I'd rather have $550 of it in my pocket, as I do now.
    10-24-17 12:58 PM
    I've yet to see an argument for "needing" 64Gb of internal storage IF YOU HAVE AN SD SLOT.

Most people carry around a lot of data that is (1) read almost-always (in other words, "write-nearly-never") and (2) very large, comparatively. The poster children for this are pictures, music and video files. The first and last are usually written exactly once on the device, the middle one written never (other than to load it.)

There is utterly no reason to spend high-performance, high-speed-write-capable NV on those files, and plenty of reason (cost!) not to. They fit and work perfectly on an SD card, and in addition that means said card is transportable. Finally, those files usually have no security implications associated with them. The possible exception are videos and pictures taken on the device but for your music or video library -- who cares if someone steals it (maybe the publisher, but almost-certainly not you!)

I'm a HEAVY user. In addition to all sorts of data that is volatile and potentially sensitive I have an offline mapping app (which has a 2Gb data store behind it!) in system NV on my DTEK60, plus multiple offline areas from Google Maps. The phone has over 100 apps on it. Current NV consumption is 11.6Gb out of 32; in other words, materially under half. I'm not skeered.

Why would I pay to have a 128Gb PHONE when some 60Gb of the data that I carry around with me is essentially "read-only" and replaceable on a trivial basis if lost? Why would I pay for the high-performance NV required to stash that without an SD card? That would likely be a $200+ increase in cost -- the card cost me $50, AND it both came out of my Priv when I upgraded to the DTEK60 and will go into my NEXT device, so that $50 is spent ONCE instead of, if I didn't have it, resulting in $600 of expense across those three devices.

It's not hard to figure out; of course the device manufacturer would rather have my $600. I'd rather have $550 of it in my pocket, as I do now.
    For me , I have a lot of must have data files on hand. I have had 2 sd cards burn out on me and caused me many issues. I had secure cloud backup for most of them but did not have access to it at the time. More storage for me is a must but I am a rare use case. I will probably just get the 64gb keyone when I can until the motion puts out the 64gb model.
    Maybe one day ill get that new "passport" style device with 128gb on board.
    10-24-17 02:35 PM

For me , I have a lot of must have data files on hand. I have had 2 sd cards burn out on me and caused me many issues. I had secure cloud backup for most of them but did not have access to it at the time. More storage for me is a must but I am a rare use case. I will probably just get the 64gb keyone when I can until the motion puts out the 64gb model.
    Maybe one day ill get that new "passport" style device with 128gb on board.
    10-24-17 02:35 PM
    Why? Device storage is about 2-4x the cost of external storage. And if you change phones, it all has to be moved.
    Why? What do you mean why? Because I enjoy it. All I'm saying is that 128gb + 32gb is not enough and buying a 200gb or higher sd card is too pricey at the moment and overkill. I'm short only about 32gb. So 128gb+64gb would be sufficient for my needs.
    10-24-17 06:30 PM
    Why? What do you mean why? Because I enjoy it. All I'm saying is that 128gb + 32gb is not enough and buying a 200gb or higher sd card is too pricey at the moment and overkill. I'm short only about 32gb. So 128gb+64gb would be sufficient for my needs.
    But spending money on external storage will get you back double on internal storage costs.

32GB internal + 200GB external is far cheaper than 128GB + 64GB. And more practical.

A SanDisk 200GB card is under $75. Try that with internal memory.
    10-24-17 06:34 PM
    You're doing that facts and logic thing again.
    10-24-17 06:53 PM
    Thoughts?
    Agree. It's not like the OS has few GB like years ago. OS itself nowadays has around 12 GB, which is almost 1/3rd. Shame on them.
    10-26-17 07:08 AM
    Agree. It's not like the OS has few GB like years ago. OS itself nowadays has around 12 GB, which is almost 1/3rd. Shame on them.
    I'm confused with your statement. Last week I bought a cheap AT&T burner phone for $30. It's Alcatel Idealxcite Model 5044 with 8GB storage. It's running Android Nougat. How can the OS be on the phone if the size exceeds the capacity?
    10-26-17 07:14 AM
    Hi Blaze, Need one advise. I am using dual Sim cards on my device. Please advise how a SD card can be used if using twin Sim cards.
    10-26-17 07:17 AM
    Nonsense.
    10-26-17 07:31 AM
    Actually, it leaves room for a second upgraded version with 64GB and a special business design option.
    Just like the KEYone.
    I have 16GB on my Samsung J7 (and all my photos and videos on the SC card) but I've had to continually optimise the memory to keep it under 16GB.
    32 with an SD card (SD card probs excepting) is probably OK for most business and professional users.
    TCM01 likes this.
    10-26-17 07:33 AM
35 12