The variable cost per unit goes down as more units are made and sold. Their goal was sales in the millions but instead they have only a niche boutique level of sales. If they sold millions of really good phones the price differential would not be an issue.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-ces-2019/?amp

TCL is looking to revamp their strategy and it seems apparent that BlackBerry will stick around just as a niche product.

Chen seems really grumpy about phone innovation recently. He must know something about TCL’s future plans.
    Chen has much better understanding of TCL intentions than many here think. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that BB had valuable carrier relationships that other Asian OEMs not already present, simply won’t have for many, including political, type reasons. The BB licensing relationship acts like a buffer with BB in between TCL and the carriers. BBMo has allowed limited postpaid carrier relationships while Alcatel has prepaid carrier relationships. TCL uses it’s brand in televisions here but it’s not a premium type brand. It’s possible, TCL strategy might be it’s own brand in mid-tier value space?
    04-06-19 10:43 AM
    From a recent article:

“Right now, TCL produces smartphones under two major brands. For the Alcatel brand the company produces entry-level and mainstream handsets, whereas under the BlackBerry brand it makes specialized smartphones for those who need an advanced security and/or a QWERTY keyboard. This product segmentation means that at present, TCL is not addressing the market for ‘classic’ higher-end smartphones. However this is going to change later this year, when TCL launches the Alcatel 7 series and their first 5G handset.”

The article suggests that the new 7 will likely launch in Europe first.
    04-06-19 04:41 PM
    The slab market is much too large for BlackBerry Mobile to avoid forever, if they have any mind of ambition.

Carriers and marketing are the main hurdle.

It's like the SUV market in auto sales. If you are an auto manufacturer and you don't have any SUV offering, then you obviously lack aspiration. Hence why even niche car manufacturers like Porsche and Lamborghini got into the SUV market.

But going back to phones, REAL carrier support and intelligent advertising would go a long way for BlackBerry slabs. I'm not a big Apple fan, but have you seen their new "Privacy" ads for iphone? Why the hell BlackBerry could never come up with some clever, to the point, advertising like that is beyond me.

But I'm willing to give BlackBerry Mobile a little time.

First order of business in NA should be to get Verizon selling Key2's and Key2 LE's.
    04-06-19 06:46 PM
    The slab market is much too large for BlackBerry Mobile to avoid forever, if they have any mind of ambition.

It's like the SUV market in auto sales. If you are an auto manufacturer and you don't have any SUV offering, then you obviously lack aspiration. Hence why even niche car manufacturers like Porsche and Lamborghini got into the SUV market.

But going back to phones, REAL carrier support and intelligent advertising would go a long way for BlackBerry slabs. I'm not a big Apple fan, but have you seen their new "Privacy" ads for iphone? Why the hell BlackBerry could never come up with some clever, to the point, advertising like that is beyond me.

First order of business in NA should be to get Verizon selling Key2's and Key2 LE's.
    TCL already have plenty of slabs in its portfolio.

BBMo is the brand they use to sell pkb devices.

It's like GM. They sell cars and trucks under some brand names, and sports cars under the Corvette brand name.
    04-06-19 07:48 PM

The so called VKB attempt was the Motion and it this point makes BBMo look non-competitive in that space which probably hurts the brand more than helps. For that privilege, BBMo probably lost money on the overall device.

Advertising would be great and they've made some recent commercials. I'm not sure what good even the Apple privacy commercial would do even with BlackBerry name on it since the problem is that BBMo and most OEMs don't have the money to effectively advertise like the Big 3 for any meaningful impact.

As far as carriers, how would you propose BBMo get VZW to do more than what's already been announced or actually done?
    04-06-19 07:54 PM
    As far as carriers, how would you propose BBMo get VZW to do more than what's already been announced or actually done?
    I am just hoping that this post turns out to be true. Not because I buy from carriers, but because so many people in North America still do.

/general-blackberry-news-discussion-rumors-f2/verizon-business-sales-vzw-will-carry-key2-key2-le-july-1165237/
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-06-19 09:11 PM
    TCL already have plenty of slabs in its portfolio.

BBMo is the brand they use to sell pkb devices.

It's like GM. They sell cars and trucks under some brand names, and sports cars under the Corvette brand name.
    BackBerry was to be the top tier in their branding strategy. From BBmo Jan 2018:

“We had said from last year we would be patient, deliberate and purposeful in how we build this out. Partnering with BlackBerry Limited is a long-term strategic investment for us, and we believe in the value of BlackBerry as a premium tier within our house brand strategy under TCL Communication. “

I think TCL had at one time high expectations for the BlackBerry brand to be more than a PKB niche phone. The BlackBerry is a good phone and probably better than any Alcatel right now but not in the future.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-07-19 at 01:40 AM.
    04-07-19 12:52 AM
    My 2 cents...
    The good part is battery, BlackBerry security layer and just something different.

The bad part is the camera just isn't up to the standards of most new phones, there isn't the convenience of wireless charging and the performance could be better.

Just depends on how you place importance on all the above.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    04-07-19 06:21 AM
    Forgot to mention the Motion deserves a successor.
    lynxs_claw and Jake2826 like this.
    04-07-19 06:24 AM
    Forgot to mention the Motion deserves a successor.
    A Motion 2 would be nice and I'd consider one although I have a XR for my VKB solution already. I doubt it will happen though now that Aurora, Motion and Evolve have all pretty much appear to have flopped.

My BE KEYone shares the same level specs as the Motion if not mistaken. I'd be good with a Motion in $200-250 USD range new and now.
    04-07-19 09:25 PM
    Adeus Blackberry, I'm now a P30pro owner and I'm not looking back!
    04-09-19 11:54 AM
    K
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    04-09-19 01:58 PM
    Did you get the regular SE partial spyware edition or the BE full complete spyware Beijing Edition model? LOL
    04-09-19 10:42 PM
    Did you get the regular SE partial spyware edition or the BE full complete spyware Beijing Edition model? LOL
    Too funny...
    04-10-19 09:16 PM
214 ... 789