We have four Motions in the house and the whole family agrees that's this has been their best BlackBerry so far .. easily. so where is the follow up. Not happy that BlackBerry Mobile is not developing a full touch. If they're expecting that all the Blackberry fans are going to roll over and just accept the physical keyboard.. not this family. No full touch BlackBerry with improved features (especially the camera) then this family will have no choice but to jump ship once our Motions have become obsolete for us.
    04-01-19 06:16 PM
    We have four Motions in the house and the whole family agrees that's this has been their best BlackBerry so far .. easily. so where is the follow up. Not happy that BlackBerry Mobile is not developing a full touch. If they're expecting that all the Blackberry fans are going to roll over and just accept the physical keyboard.. not this family. No full touch BlackBerry with improved features (especially the camera) then this family will have no choice but to jump ship once our Motions have become obsolete for us.
    Unfortunately not enough people feel as you do and are willing to pay the premium for a BlackBerry-branded slab.
    the_boon likes this.
    04-01-19 06:26 PM
    Unfortunately not enough people feel as you do and are willing to pay the premium for a BlackBerry-branded slab.
    A premium you say? You know a slab is a he'll of a lot cheaper to manufacture than a mobile device with a physical keyboard sub-assembly.

Blackberry and BlackBerry Mobile think they're smart having their little niche with physical keyboards but they own a very, very small and tiny piece of the industry.

The slabs rule the world. So BlackBerry and Mobile better understand that and address that segment accordingly. Their niche should be efficient software and security - advertise and lose the name (it's become bad for business). I hate to say it.. but their presence will continue to dwindle if they don't address the obvious.
    04-01-19 08:08 PM
    A premium you say? You know a slab is a he'll of a lot cheaper to manufacture than a mobile device with a physical keyboard sub-assembly.

Blackberry and BlackBerry Mobile think they're smart having their little niche with physical keyboards but they own a very, very small and tiny piece of the industry.

The slabs rule the world. So BlackBerry and Mobile better understand that and address that segment accordingly. Their niche should be efficient software and security - advertise and lose the name (it's become bad for business). I hate to say it.. but their presence will continue to dwindle if they don't address the obvious.
    BBMo can’t sell a VKB cheap enough because of the BB licensing. Without the licensing, the brand is called TCL and basically, in phones, an unknown brand outside its local market.
    04-01-19 08:23 PM
    BBMo can’t sell a VKB cheap enough because of the BB licensing. Without the licensing, the brand is called TCL and basically, in phones, an unknown brand outside its local market.
    I'm not fully understanding your responses. So if your point is to sell their phones they have to keep the Blackberry name .. then fine. TCL makes the Alcatel phones. My point is that the name BB still has bad connotations in the public eye and since they no longer advertise to the mainstream public.. many feel that they no longer exist wrt mobile devices.

But if your point is selling mobile devices with physical keyboards + BB licensing fees is cheaper than selling a slab with a licensing fee then you're incorrect. Google, Samsung and Apple are selling their phones at top dollar. BBMo is selling their keyboard phones for slightly under to be more cost competitive - my point is by eliminating the keyboard .. they should be able to sell it for less.

BTW, there is not one person I know that has a BB phone with a physical keyboard nor that they want one.

Now I know that there's not many of us BB fans left out there but again, all the ones I know have gone full touch and Android. BBMo and BB should not be looking at losing any more customers.
    04-01-19 08:48 PM
    The reason their is no successor to Motion is that it didn't sell well because of the price compared with other slabs.
    04-01-19 08:51 PM

But if your point is selling mobile devices with physical keyboards + BB licensing fees is cheaper than selling a slab with a licensing fee then you're incorrect.
    You're missing the point. We're not comparing to a keyboard device.

A BlackBerry-branded slab does not have enough differentiation compared to other slabs on the market to be worth the hefty premium.
    04-01-19 08:53 PM
    You're missing the point. We're not comparing to a keyboard device.

A BlackBerry-branded slab does not have enough differentiation compared to other slabs on the market to be worth the hefty premium.
    No I don't think I'm missing the point.

There are very cheap to very expensive mobile devices on the market.

The VAST majority are full touch.

BBMo seems to believe there is a market for BB secured phones with a keyboard.

So this is my baseline argument.

So if they (BBMo&BB) want to even come close to competing, then making what the majority of the consumers want should be part of their strategy - full touch. Making it cheaper should also be part of their strategy (hence losing their keyboard argument as a cost cutting measure). Advertising their differentiation (best-in-class security and efficiency software) and relevancy should also be part of that strategy.

In the end its up to BBMo AND BB to stay relevant. For that they need customers. All I can tell you is that I have always recommended BB for what they have done and what they do.. But if they continue with limiting their options to would-be buyers then they will continue to lose business - which includes me and many others like me that prefer what most seem to buy.
    04-01-19 09:14 PM

So if they (BBMo&BB) want to even come close to competing, then making what the majority of the consumers want should be part of their strategy - full touch. Making it cheaper should also be part of their strategy (hence losing their keyboard argument as a cost cutting measure). Advertising their differentiation (best-in-class security and efficiency software) and relevancy should also be part of that strategy.

In the end its up to BBMo AND BB to stay relevant. For that they need customers. All I can tell you is that I have always recommended BB for what they have done and what they do.. But if they continue with limiting their options to would-be buyers then they will continue to lose business - which includes me and many others like me that prefer what most seem to buy.
    The in-market history of the DTEK50, DTEK60, and Motion provides plenty of data for BBMo. They aren't making decisions in a vacuum.
    04-01-19 09:26 PM
    The in-market history of the DTEK50, DTEK60, and Motion provides plenty of data for BBMo. They aren't making decisions in a vacuum.
    Dtek series were an experiment and were honestly crap phones along with the PRIV - overheating / bad battery life. The Motion was the only good one out of the lot.

But please provide me the data that's shows how poorly the BB slabs did vs. the physical ones so I can understand how badly they did.

I live in the States and you won't find a Motion on Amazon (BBD100-2) at all on the website anymore and if one pops up its gone immediately.
    04-01-19 09:34 PM

But please provide me the data that's shows how poorly the BB slabs did vs. the physical ones so I can understand how badly they did.
    BBMo has the data, and their current (and future) product line is (will be) a direct result of that data.
    04-01-19 09:49 PM
    BBMo has the data, and their current and future product line is / will be a direct result of that data.
    Yeah.. I kind of figure that would be your answer.

Truth is nobody knows except BBMo and it's very possible their direction is wrong just like BB's has been for years until finally securing Android. But both of them, in my opinion, are still making mistakes.

I think the data would show it's close, but if they have to focus on one they are probably convinced that BB fans like physical keyboards so they are proceeding with that direction.

Again in my opinion it's a bad one.

As I tell people about BB Android phones after I get past the "BlackBerry is still around?" and "you can't get apps on BB phones" .. Ya, you can get all the apps now, it's secure and you get all this software on it that helps you get through the day quicker and better.. they still want a touch screen phone. Just ask my kids.. they love their Motion.. but if I tell them their next phone has to have a keyboard.. Forget it and I won't stand in their way of choosing a phone that they want.. and no amount of security will have them stick with BBMo's pkb phones.
    04-01-19 10:02 PM
    but if I tell them their next phone has to have a keyboard.. Forget it and I won't stand in their way of choosing a phone that they want.. and no amount of security will have them stick with BBMo's pkb phones.
    And BBMo has presumably done the math and has apparently determined that this market segment is not large enough to warrant the expense of producing a slab.

The Aurora and the Evolve have apparently bombed as well.
    04-01-19 10:05 PM
    And BBMo has presumably done the math and has apparently determined that this market segment is not large enough to warrant the expense of producing a slab.

The Aurora and the Evolve have apparently bombed as well.
    And so this will end my discussion on this matter.

The Aurora was a cheap phone which also I put in the same category as the DTEK series. The Evolve just need a decent camera from the start.

But I got news for you. The KeyTwo.. K3.. will and is bombing as well. It's just a matter of time before BBMo gives up on it.

Can't believe I'm saying this.. But I will eventually miss these forums. And BB and everyone affiliated with their mobile endeavor will ultimately fizzle out. Pkb are passe and very much a thing of the past. If they weren't, everyone would have them.
    04-01-19 10:16 PM
    Pkb are passe and very much a thing of the past. If they weren't, everyone would have them.
    And that may ultimately prove true as well. But in the meantime, it's the best differentiator that BBMo has to carve out a sustainable niche.

BTW, KEY sales have increased by 10% year-over-year.
    04-01-19 10:19 PM

Bro, (almost) no one cares about a SlabBerry.

The terrible sales of the Motion prove just that.

Isn't the fact that there is no Motion 2 obvious enough? Lol
    04-02-19 02:01 AM
    Bro, (almost) no one cares about a SlabBerry.

The terrible sales of the Motion prove just that.

Isn't the fact that there is no Motion 2 obvious enough? Lol
    Buddy, it's a mute point for me now. I've said what I have to say and using derogatory terms like "SlabBerry" and producing no data on how well or poorly the Motion sold is irrelevant to continue the conversation.

So you can give it a rest now.
    04-02-19 06:27 AM
    Buddy, it's a mute point for me now. I've said what I have to say and using derogatory terms like "SlabBerry" and producing no data on how well or poorly the Motion sold is irrelevant to continue the conversation.

So you can give it a rest now.
    The only data we have on how poorly the Motion sold was the fact that BBMo didn’t produce anymore once the initial batch was produced.

I wanted to buy one in USA but the Amazon inventory was depleted already in six months. Surely if the device was successful, even break even, we’d have seen more like they’ve done with KEYone and Key2 or even the Key2 LE recently.

The biggest reason that BB slabs fail, hence term, SlabBerry, is compared with other VKB Androids, they’re higher priced with lower specs due to BBTax from licensing and development costs. While I wanted one, I didn’t rush out in the beginning and buy one due to unproven OEM VKB track record other than DTEK series which bothered me. By time, I felt confident, the device was already over with here.

Plus, I could buy top of the line Android Flagships, take your pick, cheaper, with a proven track record, with all the carrier promotions.

I ended up buying iPhone XR as even better value BOGO promotion. With the savings, I bought a KEYone BE and BBMo is just a PKB device now for me. Lots of us might like VKB but the economic realities just aren’t there.
    04-02-19 11:22 AM
    The only data we have on how poorly the Motion sold was the fact that BBMo didn’t produce anymore once the initial batch was produced.

I wanted to buy one in USA but the Amazon inventory was depleted already in six months. Surely if the device was successful, even break even, we’d have seen more like they’ve done with KEYone and Key2 or even the Key2 LE recently.

The biggest reason that BB slabs fail, hence term, SlabBerry, is compared with other VKB Androids, they’re higher priced with lower specs due to BBTax from licensing and development costs. While I wanted one, I didn’t rush out in the beginning and buy one due to unproven OEM VKB track record other than DTEK series which bothered me. By time, I felt confident, the device was already over with here.

Plus, I could buy top of the line Android Flagships, take your pick, cheaper, with a proven track record, with all the carrier promotions.

I ended up buying iPhone XR as even better value BOGO promotion. With the savings, I bought a KEYone BE and BBMo is just a PKB device now for me. Lots of us might like VKB but the economic realities just aren’t there.
    Assuming that a BlackBerry slab was cheaper and better, is the BlackBerry software really enough of an incentive to purchase?
    04-02-19 01:28 PM
    Assuming that a BlackBerry slab was cheaper and better, is the BlackBerry software really enough of an incentive to purchase?
    For me, it certainly could be, but I'd want to see a thorough security and privacy audit published by a reputable third party first. I would pay a huge premium to know that Android had been properly secured to the extent permissible under the OHA.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-02-19 04:19 PM
    I think the ship has sailed on a potential BlackBerry all touch because they would need real carrier support in the USA. The value is not there for the consumer and the margins are not there for TCL and the carrier. TCL being a Chinese OEM is another complication.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-02-19 at 09:26 PM.
    04-02-19 06:50 PM
    I think the ship has sailed on a potential BlackBerry all touch because they would need real carrier support in the USA. The value is not there for the consumer and the margins are not there for TCL and the carrier. TCL being a Chinese OEM is another complication.
    YES!!!! Exactly this... Unfortunately I wish this wasn't the case.
    04-03-19 12:47 PM
    I love my motion, but I'm done with not having a phone that's great at everything, I'm moving to Hauwei P30 Pro. It's a killer phone! and once BlackBerry see their mobile rep dwindle, they'll release their mobile apps for other devices on the Play Store
    04-03-19 10:59 PM
    I love my motion, but I'm done with not having a phone that's great at everything, I'm moving to Hauwei P30 Pro. It's a killer phone! and once BlackBerry see their mobile rep dwindle, they'll release their mobile apps for other devices on the Play Store
    What am I missing They do have the BlackBerry Suite on the Play Store.
    04-03-19 11:22 PM
    What am I missing They do have the BlackBerry Suite on the Play Store.
    Too true, I should have been more specific, they'll release their keyboard app on the play store for other devices, currently it's not.
    04-03-19 11:25 PM
214 ... 56789