K, I'll bite. I googled but couldn't find it. What announcements?
    This was posted in another CB thread regarding BB shares....

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300772510.html
    01-04-19 04:46 PM
    This was posted in another CB thread regarding BB shares....

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300772510.html
    I saw that. Nothing about any new BlackBerry devices though. Just updates.....
    01-04-19 04:48 PM
    I saw that. Nothing about any new BlackBerry devices though. Just updates.....
    Possible USA carrier devices would technically signal new device or version of current device since it would offer additional features compatibility, hopefully. TCL/Alcatel would possibly offer some VKB alternatives through Alcatel line that would be similar to how DTEK line started. Any USA carrier news is welcome as it signals TCL isn’t dead in North America. No offense to Canada, but it cannot support BBMo in North America on it’s own. No offense to Mexico either, but in North America, USA carrier support is ultimately BBMo life or death here.
    01-04-19 04:57 PM
    Possible USA carrier devices would technically signal new device or version of current device since it would offer additional features compatibility, hopefully. TCL/Alcatel would possibly offer some VKB alternatives through Alcatel line that would be similar to how DTEK line started. Any USA carrier news is welcome as it signals TCL isn’t dead in North America. No offense to Canada, but it cannot support BBMo in North America on it’s own. No offense to Mexico either, but in North America, USA carrier support is ultimately BBMo life or death here.
    The article just suggests that there might be carrier availability for the Key2 and Key2 LE in the USA. As much as I'd love to see a new VKB device in North America, I just don't see any hints of that in the article.
    01-04-19 05:18 PM
    Google Trends suggests the top 10 countries interested (Proxy) in a LE are:

1. Hong Kong
    2. Canada
    3. Nigeria
    4. UAE
    5. Vietnam
    6. France
    7. Hungary
    8. Czechia
    9. Germany
    10. Singapore

16. UK
    20. USA

The USA is a big market but apparently the interest is not there.

The listing did not include China. India is a potential market.
    01-04-19 06:41 PM
    All things being equal , I would prefer a a device supported by a carrier.

Lots of circumstantial evidence here on CB as well as number of reviews by owners and devices for resale tells me that few devices were sold. There were working models in some carrier stores here but that did not last long.

TCL is Alcatel. The PKB’s have some DNA from the original source. Alcatel sales are down significantly over the last two years.

I guess having BlackBerry Secure is worth something.

Google? If you can get by without Google good on you .

Unlike Chuck , I think a BlackBerry VKB is feasible but it would have to be cheaper and better. The Alcatel 5v is probably a better phone and in today’s market this phone rates as just average.
    TCL is just barely trading water in a very competitive marketplace.

I do not see how anyone in 2019 can honestly recommend a Motion unless it is heavily discounted.

Carrier support is of course your choice but it in no way affects the warranty available for the device.

Circumstantial evidence is exactly that , it is baseless . There is a post on this Forum "How's your Motion doing " . Admittedly there are a couple of negative comments (2 from one person) but the overwhelming majority speak very highly of the device.

I, myself, used the device for 11 months and had no issues with it at all. There were some software issues but these were resolved with various updates which indicated that TCL/ Blackberry Mobile were and are motivated to get the product offering as good as they can with the specifications of the device.

TCL is not Alcatel . They employ over 79,000 people and had a 2014 revenue of over 16 billion dollars. Revenue has increased year on year to 2017.

TCL may well be treading water in a very competitive marketplace so are Apple who just posted a profits warning due to waning sales and the fact that people are keeping their devices for longer and not upgrading as often .

Chuck (if I might). Isn't against Blackberry or the devices, he simply doesn't feel that in this over crowded market that Blackberry has more to offer than other manufacturers and therefore in order to compete Blackberry would have to have a bigger upfront spend to produce a "better " device which in itself won't be enough to make the difference to convince consumers to switch from their current devices to a Blackberry.... Hope I got that right Chuck ?

Blackberry secure software is the very heart of Blackberry , this is their business. Someone kindly posted a December 2018 podcast of Mr Chen being interviewed and explaining how the company was performing and the core basis of the business . Security and safety . One may not like Mr Chen or think they can do a better job and that's their opinion, but 6 years ago Blackberry was " going to collapse" it was deemed by many professionals as on deaths door and was about to shut down ( I was not one of them) and yet here we are a different business model but still around and that in itself is testament to the Brand . How many large corporations have gone bust since 2008?

On a separate point and I digress , Mr Chen did say that BB10 devices were the most secure devices money can buy today ( sorry just had to get that one in as I use a z30 as my personal device).

In comparison to the iPhone x and Samsung 8 , the Motion holds its own in terms of battery life and software features, we even have software that they don't like the Locker, Privacy Shade , Redactor. So at £399 it's more than half the price of those other devices and one could say it's already discounted!!

Either support the brand or move on but people should really stop bashing the Brand based on hearsay and circumstantial evidence.....
    Last edited by Amaroni; 01-05-19 at 12:58 AM.
    adonesc likes this.
    01-05-19 12:48 AM
    I think we might agree on one aspect. Anyone so inclined to buy a Motion will probably like it . They like to be different and to not follow the crowd.

I do not think the Motion is at all a good value at all . I would be steering people away from the Motion to the LE .

The TCL phone divisions financial statements are in the public domaine. Sales have gone down over the past two years.

CrackBerry is just not for fanboys. It is not very radical to believe that the Motion is not a very competitive phone.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-05-19 01:56 AM
    I think we might agree on one aspect. Anyone so inclined to buy a Motion will probably like it . They like to be different and to not follow the crowd.

I do not think the Motion is at all a good value at all . I would be steering people away from the Motion to the LE .

The TCL phone divisions financial statements are in the public domaine. Sales have gone down over the past two years.

CrackBerry is just not for fanboys. It is not very radical to believe that the Motion is not a very competitive phone.
    We all have our opinions and yours is to be respected. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it .

Thus far in my opinion you have said nothing to demonstrate that the Motion is not worthy of consideration over other competitor devices.....
    01-05-19 02:03 AM
    Let’s explain my perspective. I’m a mobile technology junkie. I have all types of hardware that I use in my practice and BB has always been my go to brand. That being said, I depend on the Android/IOS ecosystem because the people that pay for my services expect to interact with our business dealings just as if using my competitors. The companies that I contract with also provide the ecosystem solutions needed through Android/IOS only, except for when using regular OS devices such as my laptop.

The reason I’m carrier biased goes back to old BB in the 00s and it’s origins. If my original two year contract expired, my old bill didn’t go down. A new device, free or practically was given for a two year renewal which also meant cheaper, better account with larger allotment of minutes, data and texts back then. Dealing with carrier for warranty, far easier. If problem with BB then, I could walk into carrier store and I was handed replacement on the spot. I have three carrier stores within seven miles. In my 50 mile territory, carrier stores jump to 30+, carrier stores.

Ten years later, the carrier advantage remains for Android/IOS but not BB since the PRIV was the last device stocked in carrier stores. The warranty issue stuck though, because of couple of times AT&T needed BB help and in the 00s, BB tech support would only help if transferred over with carrier rep on the line. BB has never been consumer friendly. That whole part of their business was outsourced, always. I’ve owned factory unlocked BB that I bought in their ridiculous sales to move BB10 hardware. If you paid attention, you could buy new release cheap since Digital River, BB outsource partner, made dumb price mistakes on regular basis. Sometime I thought BB authorized just to create buying hype. In retail, it’s called priming the pump. I bought Q5, Z3, Z30, Leap and both the DTEK since AT&T didn't offer. The DTEK quality wasn’t same as previous BB since just rebadged Alcatel phones. My next devices were the AT&T KEYone and the A30Plus from Amazon made by Alcatel.

That’s where the Motion comes in for me. At this point, I fully accept that I’m getting mid tier specs to offset BBAndroid costs and BBLicensing costs that BBMo pays to BB on each device. The giant battery was the only tangible feature that BBMo could really offer (like PKB with KEYone and Key2 to justify part of the price) in the VKB space. I was going to purchase a Motion from AT&T just like my KEYone, if offered. It didn’t happen.

With DTEK, there’s no WFC or VoLTE, since not sold by AT&T for their network. Never realized and didn’t need since I’ve used a Femto tower booster to create strong mobile signal in my residence. When I bought AT&T KEYone, it was first BBMo/TCL device and I remembered the DTEK quality I was still holding in my hands. The A30PLUS was good for the $100 Amazon price. Then AT&T informs me the Femto service is discontinued. I buy the AT&T KEYone thinking it will support WFC and VoLTE service. When the Femto hardware dies, I discover the AT&T KEYone only supports VoLTE. The Motion isn’t supported because factory unlocked. At this point, I had already switched to old iPhone 5, from my then 11 year old, who had iPhone 6 hand me down. It had no WFC or VoLTE since that came out for the 5S later. It had better signal than my KEYone sometimes and my A30Plus became a relic.

So I didn’t get the Motion because of the needed AT&T support. The Motion, as I said elsewhere, is great for the $449 price, for a BBAndroid VKB device, for people that want BBAndroid phone over Android phone.

The reality is that few Motion devices were sold and here in the USA, there are zero available from authorized retailers. I know this because I contacted Amazon/BestBuy and was explained Motion available on Canadian side at time and on the Amazon UK site.

The Motion is awesome value but won’t compete on price with Android VKB that don’t have added expense of the BB costs. That’s why I always suggest to people that want higher specs for the same price or equal specs for lower price, to purchase those devices, then add the BB App Suite. It’s not the same experience and will cost you $12/year so in the end, some will try the Motion or possible successor.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-05-19 08:17 AM
    Very eloquently put Chuck ....but you know the Motion is calling to you ....I mean it could end up being the missing device in your otherwise complete collection and that would be a shame 😂
    01-05-19 11:39 AM
    Very eloquently put Chuck ....but you know the Motion is calling to you ....I mean it could end up being the missing device in your otherwise complete collection and that would be a shame ������
    That’s why I’ve been watching out for it. The window for buying it New is pretty much closed for me. I’ll wait for someone to sell one cheap or whatever down the road.... my kids have gotten way too expensive as teenagers
    01-05-19 12:01 PM
    The Motion is no longer being sold by my carrier thus I would not be considering it.

The carriers here in Canada still subsidize phones and deals can be had. You have to look at your total operating costs for the two year period. Costco sells my carriers products and they offer additional incentives as well.

So monetary outlay is probably a deciding factor for me.
    01-05-19 12:06 PM
    The Motion is no longer being sold by my carrier thus I would not be considering it.

The carriers here in Canada still subsidize phones and deals can be had. You have to look at your total operating costs for the two year period. Costco sells my carriers products and they offer additional incentives as well.

So monetary outlay is probably a deciding factor for me.
    Which device are you currently using ?
    01-05-19 12:08 PM
    iPhone 6 . The subsidized cost was $240 Cdn. Two year AppleCare warranty for $70 .

So far zero issues. Not sure what I will buy when my contract is up. A larger screen is needed but the XR is pricy. With a trade in of the 6 Apple wants $780 Cdn. Next fall, the price will go down . Maybe a Huawei... Not too concerned that China may know my shopping list. OK probably not a Huawei but not likely a Samsung either.

The reason I am so wary is that I was only able to only get about 1.5 years each from the 9900, Z10 and finally a Samsung A5.

The LE might go the full two years that I expect.

Too bad that Canadian Costco no longer sells the BB . You can buy a Costco warranty over and above the OEM warranty . If you are not tied to a PKB and are not on TELUS , Costco has good incentives.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-05-19 at 02:30 PM.
    01-05-19 12:20 PM
    iPhone 6 . The subsidized cost was $240 Cdn. Two year AppleCare warranty for $70 .

So far zero issues. Not sure what I will buy when my contract is up. A larger screen is needed but the XR is pricy. With a trade in of the 6 Apple wants $780 Cdn. Next fall, the price will go down . Maybe a Huawei... Not too concerned that China may know my shopping list. OK probably not a Huawei but not likely a Samsung either.

The reason I am so wary is that I was only able to only get about 1.5 years each from the 9900, Z10 and finally a Samsung A5.

The LE might go the full two years that I expect.

Too bad that Canadian Costco no longer sells the BB . You can buy a Costco warranty over and above the OEM warranty . If you are not tied to a PKB and are not on TELUS , Costco has good incentives.
    What intrigues you about the LE?
    01-05-19 02:52 PM
    What intrigues you about the LE?
    The lightness and the Keyboard reminded me of the 9900 . The 9900 was great for quick emails and texts . That was my usage back in 2011. I write much less these days but still the PKB is a nice to have.

If I purchased a BB in the future it would be for the Keyboard. The BB VKB is great too but just not enough for me to want to buy one. I don’t need the Hub either.

Some here really need the BB VKB, PKB and the Hub. There are no equivalents from other OEM’s. I am not in that “need” category.
    01-05-19 03:27 PM
    The lightness and the Keyboard reminded me of the 9900 . The 9900 was great for quick emails and texts . That was my usage back in 2011. I write much less these days but still the PKB is a nice to have.

If I purchased a BB in the future it would be for the Keyboard. The BB VKB is great too but just not enough for me to want to buy one. I don’t need the Hub either.

Some here really need the BB VKB, PKB and the Hub. There are no equivalents from other OEM’s. I am not in that “need” category.
    It is clear you like the BlackBerry brand and their PKB devices so don't wait until they are no longer available via a carrier, pull the trigger and buy one.... What's the worst that can happen? You end up with too many devices like me !!! ( have hidden them throughout the house to prevent detection from swsbo) 😂
    01-05-19 04:32 PM
    I bought a Motion a couple of months ago after my Priv's battery became unreliable. did a lot of research, including on these forums, and despite all the bad reviews about the Motion's camera, took the plunge.

it's a good phone, but not a great phone, as expected. the Priv was a better phone - great screen and excellent camera, with a terrible PKB.

battery life for me not as good as advertised and in the reviews since the upgrade to 8.1
    01-05-19 09:32 PM
    I bought a Motion a couple of months ago after my Priv's battery became unreliable. did a lot of research, including on these forums, and despite all the bad reviews about the Motion's camera, took the plunge.

it's a good phone, but not a great phone, as expected. the Priv was a better phone - great screen and excellent camera, with a terrible PKB.

battery life for me not as good as advertised and in the reviews since the upgrade to 8.1
    What kind of battery life are you achieving?
    01-05-19 10:00 PM
    36 hours / day and a half, so fairly good. But on 7 I was getting 2, 2 and a half days
    01-05-19 10:03 PM
    36 hours / day and a half, so fairly good. But on 7 I was getting 2, 2 and a half days
    Have you been able to identify what is using the most battery power ....if you were not aware you can see this through the power centre app. It may help determine if there is something that is causing battery drain, on the other hand you may be a heavy user and using the device more than you used the 7 ....but I agree 36 hours is " fairly" good 😁
    01-06-19 01:56 AM
    Have you been able to identify what is using the most battery power ....if you were not aware you can see this through the power centre app. It may help determine if there is something that is causing battery drain, on the other hand you may be a heavy user and using the device more than you used the 7 ....but I agree 36 hours is " fairly" good 😁
    Notable, a BB app tends to want to be on and may be part to blame. Do get better battery if off, but the battery app doesn't show this app as a battery drain.

I am a heavy user - Web, YouTube, email, email, email with lots of attached files and specialized apps for my job, sms. Main change is going from 7 to 8. Last update to 8 did improve battery life a little.
    01-06-19 06:23 PM
    Notable, a BB app tends to want to be on and may be part to blame. Do get better battery if off, but the battery app doesn't show this app as a battery drain.

I am a heavy user - Web, YouTube, email, email, email with lots of attached files and specialized apps for my job, sms. Main change is going from 7 to 8. Last update to 8 did improve battery life a little.
    Or you could reduce the amount you use You tube and that would increase your battery level!! 😂
    01-07-19 03:07 AM
    My argument is simple. It's that BlackBerry Mobile needs to correct a longstanding deficiency with the BlackBerry brand if they are going to survive, and put an excellent camera in the phone.

The camera always was and remains the Achilles heal of the BlackBerry brand. The other issues were addressed by simply switching to Android.

You seem to have a way of making this complicated by trying to rationalize their actions with excuses. Even BlackBerry Mobile itself is trying to sweep this elephant under the rug. Read their own product literature.

Excuses (and especially unsubstantiated claims) won't sell phones or prevent customers from taking their business elsewhere.
    Excellent camera was in DTEK60. Wife has one since she doesn’t want/like PKB. Motion could’ve been a potent adversary to i-Phone/Samsung if the camera from DTEK60 was used. BB should make a powerhouse slab and keep Key2 in the market (keyONE camera is very good). AND there needs to be advertising. This word of mouth advertising is not helping.
    Oh, yeah, re-establish a T-Mobile relationship. If BBMo does that, the Un-Carrier will boost sales.
    01-08-19 06:52 AM
    Google Trends suggests the top 10 countries interested (Proxy) in a LE are:
    1. Hong Kong
    2. Canada
    3. Nigeria
    4. UAE
    5. Vietnam
    6. France
    7. Hungary
    8. Czechia
    9. Germany
    10. Singapore

16. UK
    20. USA

The USA is a big market but apparently the interest is not there.

The listing did not include China. India is a potential market.
    Without aggressive advertising you can’t garner much interest. I’ve NEVER seen a BlackBerry commercial past the BBOS10 devices.
    01-08-19 07:45 AM
214 ... 34567 ...