I need to upgrade soon, from my Z10. I like the Motion (though totally overpriced), but can't bring myself to buy a phone with a physical Home button. I like gestures, swipes and touches to get around my device, but pushing a button many times a day is not appealing.

I see that they have provided the ability for "touch to back" on the Motion. Is there any option for "touch to home" on the fingerprint button, so that we don't have to physically depress the button to go home? If not, is there another way to get to the home screen without using the physical button?
    02-23-18 01:07 PM
    There are tons of apps and launchers that can help bypass it but the problem that arises from using those apps and such is that when, for example, you're actually inside of an app they may not work. It's fine if you're just looking app your apps list of whatever but when an app is in focus, it's not going to catch those gestures or whatever. You would need something with a floating overlay or a panel and that would just be annoying in my opinion.

That said, there are also a lot of fingerprint apps that also can act in that way. It's just a matter of finding out which one works the best. For example, Fingerprint Quick Action allows you to 'touch to home' easily. I just tested and it works fine, but I'm not sure if it interferes with anything else. To say nothing about what it is doing to battery life since it has to run constantly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gerprint2sleep

Update: Yeah, it interferes with Locker Mode and the private camera, so see, it's all about finding something that works across the board. You can however, Blacklist apps to be excluded so in this case, Camera and Locker would need to be blacklisted.
    Elky64 likes this.
    02-23-18 05:14 PM
    You've never owned a phone with a physical home button before?

I must be old fashion cuz not sure that alone would be enough to deter me from giving it a go. Personally, I'm finding the Motion's home button/fingerprint sensor to be one of the best I've ever encountered, feels so natural... Yes, have owned phones w/o yet either/or works for me.

Not so sure I'd be willing to dive into "there's an app for that" realm. IMO usually when you gain something of this nature there is always the chance of there being adverse affects, like Blaze made mention of. Maybe at some point TCL/BlackBerry will bake it in.
    02-23-18 06:57 PM
    Bla1ze, I really appreciate the thought, effort and testing that went into your response. Good to know that there are definitely some options available that might address the concern.

Elky64, once I got past BBOS devices, its been capacitive buttons: Z10 and Nexus 7.
    02-24-18 03:15 PM
    I'd never used a home button previously but I soon got used to it and it's no problem for me. Worth it for me to have the fingerprint password located conveniently and working every time. I use the back button frequently so I'm not using the home button much. Overall I find the Motion an excellent phone with a lot of BlackBerry design and 'feel' about it.
    02-25-18 08:24 AM
    I am in the same general situation as the OP. After getting a Playbook, the physical home button on my iPhone4 drove me crazy and I have had a Z10 ever since. Now, I have a Tab4 tablet so I have been somewhat tapered to use of a home button with Android. However, if I have to go back to a double click physical home button function I am fearing it will drive me crazy and I wouldn't be able to live with the phone. Good to know that it doesn't seem to be that bad.
    02-25-18 08:49 AM
    I actually like the home button on the Motion very much. I also came from Z30. The home button doubles as fingerprint sensor, trackpad for notifications and apps (swipe up and down), and also the voice assistant (press and hold). The fingerprint sensor works very fast, almost instantaneously, and I find the placement very convenient.
    spARTacus likes this.
    02-27-18 11:27 AM