Being able to have a solid state backup and offline access of my photos, videos, mp3 files, and snes / nes roms is extremely important to me. SD card is a must for those purposes.
    08-11-20 08:05 AM
    Being able to have a solid state backup and offline access of my photos, videos, mp3 files, and snes / nes roms is extremely important to me. SD card is a must for those purposes.
    All of my data is synced to cloud services AND my home server.
    08-11-20 08:08 AM
    I never understood why so many brands refuse to add the SD card slot. Makes no sense. I can also say the same for the smart key and headphone jack. At least Google offers the latter.

As far as sales go, of course the Pixel will outsell the 10 Pro. Google has a large chunk of the market. Nonetheless, I think the 10 Pro will sell pretty well. During my research of looking for a new phone I watched a ton of reviews on the unit. There is no shortage of information out there on the 10 Pro. Once I started searching for a phone with the feature set I was looking for, I was led right to it. I expect many others will do the same.
    I believe the PKB is the first thing consumers were happy to let go of. Second thing is the SD because internal storage is always better than external storage for most consumers. I used to put a new SD card in every device I bought. Somewhere, between the PRIV, DTEK and KEYone, I completely forgot to do it.

When sales take off, the SD card then gets eliminated since it’s more gimmick or nostalgia for most consumers now. Part of initial “value” proposition.
    08-11-20 08:09 AM
    My use case is that I'll always need an SD card.

BTW, Samsung disables the ability to set the SD card as adoptable storage, so there's that option if OEMs are concerned about mixing fast internal memory with any ol' random quality SD card.

My case is that I like to keep backups with me of my ongoing projects. I keep copies of whole project folders of models (Building Information Modeling - or BIM, using Revit), and PDFs of construction drawings (several 100 MBs each). The models easily get up to 1-3 GB in size, some over 10 depending on if I've linked in the mechanical, electrical and structural models with my architectural model. Then, I have my construction progress photos. With each weekly visit, I'll come back with 150-200 photos. I will only keep up to 3 weeks worth at a time on the phone, while they all go to the project folder on the work server.

I also keep PDFs of code books with me in case I need to look something up in the field, or explain to a client why the toilet room is so big for just one toilet and sink.

It's easier to just copy over USB what I need. Having multiple gigabytes of info syncing constantly just isn't feasible. AT&T would slow me down in a day.

My S9 came with just 64Gb, and I'm 3/4 full now with just app usage on internal.

My 128Gb SD is also up to 3/4 full, and I get nervous at that. And that's already with managing what's on it. I use a 128Gb SD card in my Fire tablet for music.

But, as I said, that's my use case.
    PantherBlitz and bh7171 like this.
    08-11-20 09:14 AM

BTW, Samsung disables the ability to set the SD card as adoptable storage, so there's that option if OEMs are concerned about mixing fast internal memory with any ol' random quality SD card.

My case is that I like to keep backups with me of my ongoing projects. I keep copies of whole project folders of models (Building Information Modeling - or BIM, using Revit), and PDFs of construction drawings (several 100 MBs each). The models easily get up to 1-3 GB in size, some over 10 depending on if I've linked in the mechanical, electrical and structural models with my architectural model. Then, I have my construction progress photos. With each weekly visit, I'll come back with 150-200 photos. I will only keep up to 3 weeks worth at a time on the phone, while they all go to the project folder on the work server.

I also keep PDFs of code books with me in case I need to look something up in the field, or explain to a client why the toilet room is so big for just one toilet and sink.

It's easier to just copy over USB what I need. Having multiple gigabytes of info syncing constantly just isn't feasible. AT&T would slow me down in a day.

My S9 came with just 64Gb, and I'm 3/4 full now with just app usage on internal.

My 128Gb SD is also up to 3/4 full, and I get nervous at that. And that's already with managing what's on it. I use a 128Gb SD card in my Fire tablet for music.

I guess my point was like PKBs, eventually adaptation will have to happen. The adoptable storage was already locked out by earlier OEMs who's sales were being penalized by consumers who thought device performance was lousy when it was the SD adoptable storage.

It’s all just a similar evolution to PKB getting phased out. All the variety and features hurt sales instead of helping sales.

The standardization issues go back and start with accessories like battery chargers and phone cases. Not attacking preferences just a product evolution observation.
    08-11-20 09:25 AM

So if you had 256GB internal storage, your problem would be solved?
    08-11-20 09:42 AM
    Well, then you’re pushing the limits of 256GB with 250GB used, no? Probably 512GB or cleanup and delete some files.
    08-11-20 09:45 AM
    Well, then you’re pushing the limits of 256GB with 250GB used, no? Probably 512GB or cleanup and delete some files.
    Just like everything else... I'm sure I'll find some way to fill it up...

All that space, and I might start storing my recorded vinyl collection as uncompressed wave files in 96KHz/32 bit format. Darn, those 5 Police albums take up a lot of space.
    08-11-20 10:21 AM

All that space, and I might start storing my recorded vinyl collection as uncompressed wave files in 96KHz/32 bit format. Darn, those 5 Police albums take up a lot of space.
    Tell me about it.

When I switched my entire music collection to flac, my home server wanted to punch me in the nuts.

About 300MB per album x hundreds upon hundreds of them.
    08-11-20 10:25 AM

Tell me about it.

When I switched my entire music collection to flac, my home server wanted to punch me in the nuts.

About 300MB per album x hundreds upon hundreds of them.
    As usual, I’m completely lost and confused....

Keep it simple, what does that mean for me in 8-track speak? Am I better off with finishing my conversion to cassettes first?

Is @Troy Tiscareno close by?
    08-11-20 10:59 AM
    As usual, I’m completely lost and confused....

Keep it simple, what does that mean for me in 8-track speak? Am I better off with finishing my conversion to cassettes first?

Is @Troy Tiscareno close by?
    I thought you still recorded off the radio with your portable cassette player and microphone.
    08-11-20 11:26 AM
    I thought you still recorded off the radio with your portable cassette player and microphone.
    I upgraded to cassette/radio tuner combo with recording capabilities when I upgraded trailer parks
    08-11-20 11:43 AM
    Hey, I used to do that...
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    08-11-20 12:59 PM
    I upgraded to cassette/radio tuner combo with recording capabilities when I upgraded trailer parks
    08-11-20 01:01 PM
    One theme I loved that I recorded off a TV was the theme for "The Rockford Files"
    08-11-20 01:32 PM
    One theme I loved that I recorded off a TV was the theme for "The Rockford Files"
    I still occasionally watch the Rockford Files on IMDB TV for the theme song, and the memories.
    08-11-20 02:29 PM
    Hey, I used to do that...
    You ain't the only one!
    08-12-20 09:37 AM
42 12