I have a question, I’m currently using an iPhone 6s we’ve been snowmobiling the last couple days in single digit to teens for temperatures and this iPhones battery just can’t handle the cold weather. I keep it in an inside pocket against my chest to help keep it warm but when I use it outside snapping some pictures and taking video it either kills the battery or randomly shuts off and won’t turn back on until I plug it it.

I’ve been eyeing the blackberry motion
    Has anyone used the blackberry motion in a similar situation and how did the battery handle it??
    12-30-17 08:32 PM
    I've legit never had a too cold warning or have a battery die on any other device but an iPhone due to cold. Now, if you had said too hot, that would be different lol. The only thing I've experienced on any other device was the touchscreen being less responsive. Never really much battery depletion or warnings in cold temps. That said, it's pretty normal for every battery to show less battery life in cold. - http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    12-30-17 09:34 PM
    I've legit never had a too cold warning or have a battery die on any other device but an iPhone due to cold. Now, if you had said too hot, that would be different lol. The only thing I've experienced on any other device was the touchscreen being less responsive. Never really much battery depletion or warnings in cold temps. That said, it's pretty normal for every battery to show less battery life in cold. - http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures
    Thanks for the reply, I understand the effects of cold on Batteries.

I heard Apple is going to sell their oem Batteries for $29.00 because of all the bad press over slowing phones down, so I think I’m going to get a new a battery and see what happens
    12-31-17 07:18 AM
    Thanks for the reply, I understand the effects of cold on Batteries.

I heard Apple is going to sell their oem Batteries for $29.00 because of all the bad press over slowing phones down, so I think I’m going to get a new a battery and see what happens
    Yeah, they've already started it. Any Apple Store should be set to help you out.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    12-31-17 03:47 PM
    I have a question, I’m currently using an iPhone 6s we’ve been snowmobiling the last couple days in single digit to teens for temperatures and this iPhones battery just can’t handle the cold weather. I keep it in an inside pocket against my chest to help keep it warm but when I use it outside snapping some pictures and taking video it either kills the battery or randomly shuts off and won’t turn back on until I plug it it.

Has anyone used the blackberry motion in a similar situation and how did the battery handle it??
    You're not using it right.
    01-01-18 03:51 PM
    You're not using it right.
    ???
    01-01-18 03:52 PM
    ???
    He is teasing you. 'You're not using it rights' was Apple's reply to their Antenna gate fiasco.

BTW, we were skating this morning in -25 temperature and All the BlackBerry devices were fine, with lots of pictures to prove (KEYone and Motions both present). The one iPhone present (6plus) crapped out.
    01-01-18 04:27 PM
    He is teasing you. 'You're not using it rights' was Apple's reply to their Antenna gate fiasco.

BTW, we were skating this morning in -25 temperature and All the BlackBerry devices were fine, with lots of pictures to prove (KEYone and Motions both present). The one iPhone present (6plus) crapped out.
    Thanks That’s the information I was looking for. Have been really eyeing the blackberry motion, kinda been waiting to see if it’s going to be for sale in the USA or if I’m going to have to buy one on eBay.
    01-01-18 04:48 PM

Took it out skiing for the whole day a week ago in -15 degree Celsius and it was fine... played music for the most part but took it out to video record and take a few pictures and no problem.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    01-02-18 09:04 AM
    I'm returning from my New Years eve at Times Square, the second coldest one in a hundred years. My Motion took all the pictures and videos without a hiccup, battery lasted 2 days without a charge. My gf IPhone 6 died on her the first night so it ended up on her purse all the time.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    01-02-18 10:08 AM
    I'm returning from my New Years eve at Times Square, the second coldest one in a hundred years. My Motion took all the pictures and videos without a hiccup, battery lasted 2 days without a charge. My gf IPhone 6 died on her the first night so it ended up on her purse all the time.
    Wow that’s amazing. Apparently iPhones must have a problem with cold weather because my phone had 85% charge and I wasn’t able to take two less than a minute each videos and it shut down and I had to plug it into our portable battery charger to get it turned back on then it showed 63% battery as soon as it turned back on and I was like what the heck is going on with this phone.
    01-02-18 10:17 AM
    I keep an lg g3 in my car all the time. The phone has reported -20C when I turned on the car and it started casting to my head unit. The display is slow, but battery is still fine. It even holds a charge when it gets -40c outside.
    01-02-18 10:26 AM
    Wow that’s amazing. Apparently iPhones must have a problem with cold weather because my phone had 85% charge and I wasn’t able to take two less than a minute each videos and it shut down and I had to plug it into our portable battery charger to get it turned back on then it showed 63% battery as soon as it turned back on and I was like what the heck is going on with this phone.
    How old is the phone and battery? If more than a year or so this is not unexpected behavior. The battery is dead, basically, and ought to be replaced. Apple has tried to hide this from customers, quite-possibly because the way they (and everyone else in the phone universe, by the way) charges them is abusive and causes this to happen far more quickly than it otherwise would.

The reason they all do this, by the way, is that PROPERLY charging a Li chemistry battery fully requires 3-4 hours. You can get into the 60-80% range in under an hour, but properly saturation-charging the cell the rest of the way takes TIME and one of the metrics everyone shoots at nowdays is "how fast does it charge."

Note that the DTEK60 made no attempt to hide the condition and the result was a LOT of them needing to be sent in during warranty. If you think Apple didn't detect this risk and try to prevent having to EAT the warranty replacements you're nuts -- they almost-certainly did and instead of eating the warranty replacements they tried to hide it and shove it off on the customer.
    01-02-18 11:00 AM
    How old is the phone and battery? If more than a year or so this is not unexpected behavior. The battery is dead, basically, and ought to be replaced. Apple has tried to hide this from customers, quite-possibly because the way they (and everyone else in the phone universe, by the way) charges them is abusive and causes this to happen far more quickly than it otherwise would.

The reason they all do this, by the way, is that PROPERLY charging a Li chemistry battery fully requires 3-4 hours. You can get into the 60-80% range in under an hour, but properly saturation-charging the cell the rest of the way takes TIME and one of the metrics everyone shoots at nowdays is "how fast does it charge."

Note that the DTEK60 made no attempt to hide the condition and the result was a LOT of them needing to be sent in during warranty. If you think Apple didn't detect this risk and try to prevent having to EAT the warranty replacements you're nuts -- they almost-certainly did and instead of eating the warranty replacements they tried to hide it and shove it off on the customer.
    It’s a 6s. And my phone had the shutting off randomly symptom about a year ago, so I took in to Apple to have it checked but they said my phone wasn’t one of the affected ones.
    I’m going to replace the battery especially now that Apple is doing them for like $28.00
    01-02-18 11:08 AM
    If it shuts down when you start something that demands heavy current (GPS, camera, etc) yet allegedly has 30-40-50+% charge remaining, and when you plug it in the phone comes up and claims to have a moderately decent charge level then the cell has failed high-resistance. The battery is functionally dead as it is unable to deliver current at anywhere near its rated output without the voltage collapsing.

This is an extremely common failure mode for lithium chemistry cells.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    01-02-18 11:28 AM