Hmm interesting. I guess in order to figure out if it was the NFC transfer, you may have to wipe without a restore and simply install apps manually. The amazon app I think once installed requires those permission so if it was simply due to the NFC transfer and tied to your google account, it would have been downloaded and given those permissions as they are a requirement of the amazon app store. Its not that anything nefarious is going on. Its just that you restore/installed it in your transfer. And since you are simply restring every time you wipe, it is coming back. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to. So with that said, a wipe and no restore...simply manual download from Google play of your apps is likely the way to get rid of it.
    Already did that...and that's the thing...that version of the Amazon app does not exist on the PlayStore. Not as far as I can tell anyway. So it's difficult to 'not install' an app that doesn't technically exist on my PlayStore account in the first place.

It behaves exactly like all the BlackBerry apps do, in fact...it is already installed when you set up the device. If true, this is the equivalent of moving to another Android device from a BlackBerry and getting all my BlackBerry apps migrated and installed to the system without being able to remove them. This should not be happening!

The other option is the app may have been installed at the factory. That scenario seems much less likely, but only because no one else here seems to have seen it on a BE.

I agree I don't think it's a nefarious app. What I find concerning is that if it was transferred somehow from my previous device...then some aspect of the Google device setup process appears to be capable of overriding the root privileges of my BlackBerry.
    Last edited by panopticon; 11-20-17 at 11:37 PM.
    11-20-17 01:59 PM
    According to this Canadian Amazon page, the price of the Motion is $779.99CAD:

https://www.amazon.ca/BlackBerry-Sin...UvbUpU13076610
    That is a 3rd party. "Ships from and sold by KICKmobiles® Store." is what it shows.
    11-20-17 02:05 PM
    Those are listed by a third-party seller (note who the "sold and shipped by" is) and not Amazon; this is pretty-common and of course those folks will try to get someone to overpay......
    11-20-17 03:45 PM
    If the app was simply brought over from a different device you'd have the option to uninstall it. The fact that you can't even disable it means it's at an OS/firmware level.

Then I guess the question should be is there a variant of the K1 BE that has this Amazon app pre-installed? It certainly isn't listed anywhere, as far as I can tell.
    Not that I know of, although some Alcatel devices are preloaded with Amazon software IIRC. If it's really irritating, have you tried contacting BBMobile support and asking for a new device. :P
    11-20-17 05:29 PM
    If the app was simply brought over from a different device you'd have the option to uninstall it. The fact that you can't even disable it means it's at an OS/firmware level.

Not that I know of, although some Alcatel devices are preloaded with Amazon software IIRC. If it's really irritating, have you tried contacting BBMobile support and asking for a new device. :P
    The Amazon app in question showed up on my Motion as well, was setup as a new device w/nothing migrated over. In saying that, it also showed up on my GS7 Edge when we first got it 7 months ago, not on my GS7 or LG G4 though. And yeah, can only disable but not uninstall.
    11-20-17 08:16 PM
    Bell is charging $599 .
    11-20-17 08:22 PM
    The Amazon app in question showed up on my Motion as well, was setup as a new device w/nothing migrated over. In saying that, it also showed up on my GS7 Edge when we first got it 7 months ago, not on my GS7 or LG G4 though. And yeah, can only disable but not uninstall.
    What carrier did you get your Motion through? How about the GS7 Edge?
    11-20-17 10:21 PM
    What carrier did you get your Motion through? How about the GS7 Edge?
    My bad - All on Telus w/Motion bought outright, GS7 Edge was an upgrade on contract
    11-21-17 05:22 AM
    My bad - All on Telus w/Motion bought outright, GS7 Edge was an upgrade on contract
    Hmmmm....Telus. Me too. The plot thickens!
    11-21-17 09:58 AM
    It could be a carrier thing,

Of course, there is one downside: even with the unlock code, the phone will still load carrier bloatware once the SIM is installed. Fortunately for us Canadians, neither Rogers, Bell, Telus, nor any of the smaller regional providers, force unwanted advertisements in the notification shade. The most egregious addition is, perhaps, the unwanted installation of Amazon's Android app, which happens to be quite useful. Moreover, all of them can be disabled should they prove unwanted.

https://www.androidcentral.com/there...laxy-s7-canada
    11-21-17 10:02 AM
    Yep, I can confirm this. I removed my sim card and rebooted, and the app was gone. Put sim back in, app still gone....rebooted with sim in, app came back.

I'm going to frickin Telus later today to get this sim replaced. I though I got rid of all the Samsung bloat already Lol. That better solve the issue!
    11-21-17 10:20 AM
    Oh that's nice -- carrier push on the SIM load.

There has been a fair bit of effort around carrier data interchange so things like WiFi calling and VoIP work on all the various devices -- which involves the carrier being able to push the settings required.

I see some carriers are abusing that.... this crap ought to lead to them being indicted and their executives thrown into an aquarium full of hungry sharks.
    11-21-17 10:27 AM
    Yep, I can confirm this. I removed my sim card and rebooted, and the app was gone. Put sim back in, app still gone....rebooted with sim in, app came back.

I'm going to frickin Telus later today to get this sim replaced. I though I got rid of all the Samsung bloat already Lol. That better solve the issue!
    I don't know if changing the sim card will do anything since the carrier seems to add it whenever the phone connects to their network. The only solution seems to be to switch to a carrier that doesn't auto install the app.

I wish all platforms would adopt Microsoft's model with bloat on Windows Phone, carriers and OEM's could add as much as they like but the user can uninstall it as easily as any other app on the phone.
    11-21-17 12:43 PM
    For now $779 dollars, unlocked on Amazon (Canada) sold by a third party merchant.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07748...UvbUpU13078138
    11-22-17 03:55 PM
    has this been announced in the US yet?
    11-22-17 05:58 PM
    I don't know if changing the sim card will do anything since the carrier seems to add it whenever the phone connects to their network. The only solution seems to be to switch to a carrier that doesn't auto install the app.

I wish all platforms would adopt Microsoft's model with bloat on Windows Phone, carriers and OEM's could add as much as they like but the user can uninstall it as easily as any other app on the phone.
    What a PITA. Yep, it is Telus doing this. I even popped in an old de-activated sim from Telus I had been using on an iPad just to make sure. And the people at Telus still insist their sim installs no bloat. Well, I guess that is *technically* correct. Lol. It only gets installed as soon as it logs into their network, while your phone is booting up, and you are never the wiser for it.
    11-22-17 05:59 PM
    has this been announced in the US yet?
    No word yet on a US release.

What a PITA. Yep, it is Telus doing this. I even popped in an old de-activated sim from Telus I had been using on an iPad just to make sure. And the people at Telus still insist their sim installs no bloat. Well, I guess that is *technically* correct. Lol. It only gets installed as soon as it logs into their network, while your phone is booting up, and you are never the wiser for it.
    If you're comfortable with adb you can try this,

https://www.xda-developers.com/unins...t-root-access/
    11-22-17 06:26 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I may just try this, perhaps it could get rid of a few useless Google Apps as well. Thanks!
    11-22-17 07:01 PM

Hey by the way before I try this, do you know if this actually uninstalls the apps or does it just make them 'disappear' into the background? I was using a Samsung bloatware removal tool that sounds very similar to this but honestly unless it truly uninstalls the app, it's probably more trouble than its worth.
    11-23-17 10:20 AM
    Or maybe "/system/app mover" app with f-droid?
    11-23-17 10:25 AM
    Hey by the way before I try this, do you know if this actually uninstalls the apps or does it just make them 'disappear' into the background? I was using a Samsung bloatware removal tool that sounds very similar to this but honestly unless it truly uninstalls the app, it's probably more trouble than its worth.
    It should uninstall the app but there's always the chance it could come back after a device restart or update (BB10 did this with the Amazon apps for example).

You should backup your device before trying anything though.
    11-23-17 10:45 AM
    Or maybe "/system/app mover" app with f-droid?
    That requires a rooted device with BusyBox.
    11-23-17 12:28 PM
122 ... 345