Where did you get your KEYone that Amazon came pre-installed? That sounds like a carrier device loaded with junk.
    No, it is a black edition unlocked KEYone. Anyway, no big deal really...but I though it was worth mentioning for anyone who has no use for that app.
    10-11-17 10:52 AM
    Where did you get your KEYone that Amazon came pre-installed? That sounds like a carrier device loaded with junk.
    Yeah, I was sent a KeyONE for review (which I neither paid for nor did I get to keep it, so I had no personal interest in the outcome one way or the other) and found nothing like that on the device.

I got it in "factory clean" condition and of course wiped it before returning it to its owner.
    10-11-17 11:32 AM
    Yeah, I was sent a KeyONE for review (which I neither paid for nor did I get to keep it, so I had no personal interest in the outcome one way or the other) and found nothing like that on the device.

I got it in "factory clean" condition and of course wiped it before returning it to its owner.
    Yeah, I just made it up. Lol. Dig yourself a little deeper why don't you?
    10-11-17 12:30 PM
    Here are a few pics FYI...
    Last edited by panopticon; 10-11-17 at 01:20 PM.
    10-11-17 12:47 PM
    So where did you buy it from? Telus perhaps?

Carriers stick crap on their phones all the time, including things you can't remove (nearly always) and in some cases you can't disable them either. That's one of the (many) reasons I don't buy carrier-sponsored devices; IMHO that sort of action should be criminal since they're taking your data without informing you first and making money with it.

Then again we don't have actual laws that are enforced any more against large companies. Witness with Verizon did for a long time with "supercookies"
    10-11-17 02:09 PM
    So where did you buy it from? Telus perhaps?

Carriers stick crap on their phones all the time, including things you can't remove (nearly always) and in some cases you can't disable them either. That's one of the (many) reasons I don't buy carrier-sponsored devices; IMHO that sort of action should be criminal since they're taking your data without informing you first and making money with it.

Then again we don't have actual laws that are enforced any more against large companies. Witness with Verizon did for a long time with "supercookies"
    Did you even read what I posted? It is a black edition unlocked KEYone. That means it is not sold by a carrier, it is factory unlocked!

Seems like people are making all kinds of assumptions about the black edition without even having access to the device. Welcome to CrackBerry. Lol.
    10-11-17 02:19 PM
    It's a black edition but you did not make clear where you got it from.

You're asserting that BlackBerry loaded a spying app (for Amazon) on the phone from the factory? I'd like to see that; it was not on the (original version) KeyONE I reviewed; there were no added apps of that sort in the firmware load at all.

At least that one can be disabled (not removed since it's in the ROM) and disabling it really does work on Android for apps that are visible (note that it doesn't necessarily work for things that do not show up as apps, such as the infamous CarrierIQ that AT&T is known to load.)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-11-17 02:31 PM
    I'm quite-curious what that Amazon app is and where it came from.

I have the Amazon shopping app on my DTEK60; it has no permissions granted to it. Now there are other permissions you can't revoke which are in the "full" list, but it doesn't have (nor has it asked for) device manager or any of the other "specials" (including Usage.)

The only apps with usage access are the ones I have explicitly permitted it (e.g. a data monitoring widget that gives me counts of bytes in/out, etc.) I'm very curious why the Amazon app in question wants that, especially considering that it doesn't look like the same icon on the Amazon app on the Play Store..... (e.g. is it really Amazon?)
    10-11-17 02:58 PM
    Did you even read what I posted? It is a black edition unlocked KEYone. That means it is not sold by a carrier, it is factory unlocked!

Seems like people are making all kinds of assumptions about the black edition without even having access to the device. Welcome to CrackBerry. Lol.
    It could well be a carrier SIM app. Remove the SIM and see if the app is still there.
    10-11-17 04:24 PM
    What terrible part of internet did you pull that pricing from or did you just make it up?
    OP might be converting to CND from €499 stated in the orignal CB Belsimpel news item. And not realizing NL has 21% VAT tacked on to the price.
    10-11-17 04:33 PM
    OP might be converting to CND from €499 stated in the orignal CB Belsimpel news item. And not realizing NL has 21% VAT tacked on to the price.
    That would be incredibly stupid. That's not how economics works.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    10-11-17 04:34 PM
    Just trying to find logic here, if any exists at all
    10-11-17 04:37 PM
    Plus, it's usually the folks in the rest of the world that get the worst of it compared to NA prices.
    10-11-17 04:39 PM
    You're right Conite. Blackberry can't compete in the device market. Which is why they left.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-17 04:41 PM
    If only they made their mid-ranged spec phone reasonably priced. They'd have a chance.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-17 04:41 PM
    You're right Conite. Blackberry can't compete in the device market. Which is why they left.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. That's why the licencing model is brilliant. Keep the margin part, and give away the no-margin part.
    10-11-17 04:49 PM
    If only they made their mid-ranged spec phone reasonably priced. They'd have a chance.

Posted via CB10
    What is the source of the $750 CND you posted?
    10-11-17 04:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, only Apple and Samsung make any money at hardware. The rest seem to toil about for free.
    10-11-17 04:50 PM
    Wow. $700-750 CAD, $600-650USD/€

Posted via CB10
    10-11-17 04:54 PM
    They won't sell much at that price

Posted via CB10
    10-11-17 04:54 PM
    Wow. $700-750 CAD, $600-650USD/€

Posted via CB10
    These numbers aren't any better. How are you dreaming this up?

I don't understand what you're doing. You are inventing a price and then arguing that it won't sell at that price.
    Gallofa likes this.
    10-11-17 05:01 PM
    Well we'll just wait to see, won't we. Their price points are well established. This will not be a cheap phone. I find your $450-$500 CAD pricetag laughable.

I wouldn't be so fed up with BlackBerry/tct etc if your prices were correct. Sadly, we all know they won't be.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-17 05:19 PM
    Well we'll just wait to see, won't we. Their price points are well established. This will not be a cheap phone. I find your $450-$500 CAD pricetag laughable.

I wouldn't be so fed up with BlackBerry/tct etc if your prices were correct. Sadly, we all know they won't be.

Posted via CB10
    $449 to $479 was my USD estimate.

Considering the DTEK50 was $299 and the DTEK60 was $499, it seems a reasonable guess.

Even a direct conversion from Dirham puts it at $463.
    10-11-17 05:28 PM
    I'm quite-curious what that Amazon app is and where it came from.

I have the Amazon shopping app on my DTEK60; it has no permissions granted to it. Now there are other permissions you can't revoke which are in the "full" list, but it doesn't have (nor has it asked for) device manager or any of the other "specials" (including Usage.)

The only apps with usage access are the ones I have explicitly permitted it (e.g. a data monitoring widget that gives me counts of bytes in/out, etc.) I'm very curious why the Amazon app in question wants that, especially considering that it doesn't look like the same icon on the Amazon app on the Play Store..... (e.g. is it really Amazon?)
    Wow, the digging mission continues. Obviously you do not own a black edition KEYone. Have you even seen one? Yes, that is a 'real' Amazon app. And it was natively present on my brand new, factory unlocked device, and cannot be uninstalled.

Does anyone else here have a black edition KEYone? Anyone?

You do have a point though. Perhaps there is a secret batch of Spyware infested KEYones floating around on the black market. I guess it's possible what I really have is a clone, since I did not purchase from officially sanctioned Blueshop or CDW. Lol.

*and NO the Amazon app does NOT disappear if I remove the simcard. So, much to my chagrin... no evidence to support the anti-carrier tinfoil hat rant either...
    10-11-17 05:38 PM
    Honestly, only Apple and Samsung make any money at hardware. The rest seem to toil about for free.
    This actually hasn't been true in quite some time,

Huawei becomes most profitable Android brand: Report | ZDNet

Of the "traditional" OEM's I think only HTC and LG are losing money now, even Sony's phone division is profitable,

Sony's mobile division made money in its last fiscal year through cost cutting
    10-11-17 06:13 PM
122 1234 ...