08-12-19 10:32 PM
51 123
tools
    This article, although from January, gives some clarity on how TCL/Blackberry Mobile has been doing and potentially where they stand. The claims of staggered reintroduction into additional markets holds true (e.g. Key2's recent release in Australia), so there is at least some consistency with at least one of their claims. The silence last year is somewhat analogous to what we're dealing with now, so maybe the future of TCL/Blackberry Mobile isn't quite as bleak as we all think it is?

TCL says it’s happy with BlackBerry growth
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/08/tcl-says-its-happy-with-blackberry-growth/?fbclid=IwAR10k1Agum3VsMysMmrsEEeFqzXsW4mwFU-KvAaXyi0n_uGS40gQSR1lL9M
    07-21-19 08:37 PM
    Most of what TCL is quoted as saying in that article is what we call "spin" - how to phrase less-than-positive news in a way that seems much more positive. They admitted some faults in various areas, but they didn't even go as far as to say that they were "working on" improving them.

The big news was Verizon carrying the K2LE - only for business customers, and only a year after it was launched and the vast majority of the inventory was gone - so I doubt that moved the needle much, especially given the challenges that people had getting them working.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with optimism, but the reality of the situation isn't great. At least TCL didn't take a bath on the brand - they've been able to sell through virtually every device they've made at or near full retail, so that's something that BB hasn't been able to do in a decade (mostly due to BB's foolish overproduction of phones) - but other "real" good news is hard to come by.
    John Albert likes this.
    07-21-19 09:44 PM
    Most of what TCL is quoted as saying in that article is what we call "spin" - how to phrase less-than-positive news in a way that seems much more positive. They admitted some faults in various areas, but they didn't even go as far as to say that they were "working on" improving them.

The big news was Verizon carrying the K2LE - only for business customers, and only a year after it was launched and the vast majority of the inventory was gone - so I doubt that moved the needle much, especially given the challenges that people had getting them working.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with optimism, but the reality of the situation isn't great. At least TCL didn't take a bath on the brand - they've been able to sell through virtually every device they've made at or near full retail, so that's something that BB hasn't been able to do in a decade (mostly due to BB's foolish overproduction of phones) - but other "real" good news is hard to come by.
    Never said the news was good, but the mood here (not unjustifiably so) ranges from cautious optimism to an assumption of implosion. TCL/Blackberry Mobile's silence has been more frustrating than anything else. This article has the best information I've seen, but unfortunately, that's not saying much.

All I can say about the status of TCL/Blackberry Mobile's silence is purely speculative and it is the following: Blackberry Mobile appears to be staggering its release of the Key2 to create consistent sales. It's easier to justify a product if you stagger its release and have consistent, low-moderate sales than releasing everything everywhere at once and watching the entire worldwide market saturate quickly. If they hinted at a Key3, for example, prior to releasing in every market they intend to and being present there for x amount of time, the total number of Key2 devices sold in those remaining markets would be small and a major point against its sales. Therefore, they will probably remain silent on a new device until the last minute (assuming they intend to release another device at all).

Regarding Android Pie, it really comes down to Blackberry Ltd. and they seem to care less and less. We also don't know what Blackberry Ltd. is looking to charge TCL/Blackberry Mobile for the Pie upgrade, which is likely to be significantly more than the security updates.

Regardless, the prospects for Blackberry as a consumer handset manufacturer look lukewarm at this point, until I see hard evidence pointing any further in either direction. Personally, the Key2 is my first Blackberry, having been young at the height of their reign in the mobile handset industry. After my iPhone 6S, I became so sick of Apple and had been considering doing so for a couple of years prior. I happened to land with the Blackberry Key2 in August 2018 and couldn't have been happier. It'd be extremely the icon reborn die so early after its rebirth.
    07-21-19 10:08 PM
    According to this article it took 13 months to upgrade the K1 to Oreo; we are certainly getting in that windows with the K2.
    07-21-19 10:49 PM
    Keyone was also a staged roll out, they were well into a year with it as the continued to roll it out to new markets. But with the KEYone BBMo overestimated demand near the end of it's production life and overbuilt. Still lots of "new" inventory out there in 3rd party channels... even AT&T still has it in stock.

BBMo is being a lot more cautious with the KEY2...

As for BlackBerry Ltd.... they only care about revenues and profits, which is how business work.
    07-23-19 07:23 AM
    AT&T still has it in stock.
    AT&T has had no problems in the past dumping their unsold BlackBerries onto the gray market when they failed to sell, so I take it as a positive sign that they still are able to find it worthwhile to keep offering them.
    07-23-19 08:48 AM
    Troy is correct about the spin. Chinese companies in particular seem most prone to guild the lily. Is there really a Canadian Bank willing to buy 10,000 units?

Anyway here is the latest spin:

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...tech-strategy/
    07-23-19 09:49 AM
    Troy is correct about the spin. Chinese companies in particular seem most prone to guild the lily. Is there really a Canadian Bank willing to buy 10,000 units?

Anyway here is the latest spin:

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...tech-strategy/
    My guess is sure.... if they were responsible for handling most of TCL's North American business - and I mean TCL Ltd, not TCL Communications or TCT.

Would be interesting to know if that actually ever happened... Most the IT stories here are more company offered it as an option or the person in charge of the company was a big BlackBerry fan and kinda forced it on everyone.
    07-23-19 10:03 AM
    Is there really a Canadian Bank willing to buy 10,000 units?
    Sure. We used to get these stories in the BB10 days, too. It seemed like any block of Passports sold in quantities of 50+ were talked about here.
    07-23-19 10:54 AM
    AT&T has had no problems in the past dumping their unsold BlackBerries onto the gray market when they failed to sell, so I take it as a positive sign that they still are able to find it worthwhile to keep offering them.
    I've noted this in other posts.

AT&T dumped the Priv less than 6 months after they released it - completely disappeared from their stores and website in an instant.

Yet, they've had the Keyone for over 2 years now (official availability in April of 2017), and it's still available on their website as of this post.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    07-23-19 11:04 AM
    Sure. We used to get these stories in the BB10 days, too. It seemed like any block of Passports sold in quantities of 50+ were talked about here.
    There is no tangible proof that a Canadian bank purchased 10,000 Key 2 phones. If this were true some employee here in Canada would have confirmed on CB or there would be reports in the wild.

You can’t hide 10,000 units - not even in Toronto. There would have to be someone who knows someone etc.
    07-23-19 11:15 AM
    Quite honestly the only thing that we should be optimistic about is that TCL haven't said they're NOT going to continue with BB Mobile in the future. Until we get confirmation one way or the other, everything else is just spin.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-23-19 11:53 AM
    Quite honestly the only thing that we should be optimistic about is that TCL haven't said they're NOT going to continue with BB Mobile in the future. Until we get confirmation one way or the other, everything else is just spin.
    Totally...
    07-23-19 12:30 PM
    If Keyone was very successful with AT&T, why didn't they carry Key2 or Key2 LE?
    07-23-19 01:04 PM
    Because BlackBerry Mobile / TCL run the numbers and decided its better not to.
    John Albert likes this.
    07-23-19 01:12 PM
    KEY2 had an abortive AT&T variant, KEY2LE didn't have any AT&T stuff whatsoever. Then again, KEY2LE didn't have the Verizon variant in until quite a ways through the device's lifecycle (hence the Verizon launch being a year after everywhere else) so maybe that one outpaced demand.
    07-23-19 01:12 PM
    Because BlackBerry Mobile / TCL run the numbers and decided its better not to.
    Lol.
    The only reason could be that AT&T inventory of Keyone wasn't that huge like the Priv stock, so they didn't care much about it and leave it.
    Still remember how Priv AT&T was being sold in everywhere with crazy discounts.
    If Keyone was that successful, AT&T would have definitely kept selling Key series.
    07-23-19 01:17 PM
    “An executive at carrier partner AT&T admits the Priv phone is "really struggling" and suffers a disappointing rate of returns.”

Maybe the early Keyones were not that stellar either?
    07-23-19 02:47 PM
    Really another BlackBerry spin machine........lol. seems to be an infection of the brand......either TCL or otherwise.
    07-23-19 06:24 PM
    Really another BlackBerry spin machine........lol. seems to be an infection of the brand......either TCL or otherwise.
    Virtually all brands spin their stories - it's hardly unique to TCL or BB - but that very fact is why you must always be VERY skeptical and be able to read between the lines. When a company has good news to offer, they release real numbers that can be verified on their quarterly reports. When they don't have good news, you get spin and no numbers. Again, not unique to BB or TCL - but it allows the naive to believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear, regardless of the truth.
    07-23-19 07:18 PM
    “An executive at carrier partner AT&T admits the Priv phone is "really struggling" and suffers a disappointing rate of returns.”

Maybe the early Keyones were not that stellar either?
    Little doubt of that...

Proable very fortunate that BBMo does a slow roll out of devices.... imagine if BBMo had all four US Carrier's on board with the KEYone at lauch. 10's of thousands of units all produced and waiting to be sold, and then returned when the screen pop off issue was found.
    07-24-19 07:44 AM
    I love it....................shocking companies spin. But yes you are 100% right on all points
    07-24-19 08:44 AM
    I love it....................shocking companies spin. But yes you are 100% right on all points
    Reply to posts instead of to threads so we know who you're responding to.
    07-24-19 08:50 AM
    Interesting old article (Feb 2018) where the journalist just does not take the “spin” as gospel.

https://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry...comeback-2018/

“Not everyone agrees with the brand's chances. "Sadly, I think they overestimated the size of the QWERTY market as well as how difficult it is to get into the enterprise market," said analyst Milanesi.

“While BlackBerry's visibility is still a blip on the global map, its strategy to build through carriers and corporations could forge some humble inroads, so long as its phones can offer the same features as other top handsets for the same price or less.”
    07-24-19 01:41 PM
    I've noted this in other posts.

AT&T dumped the Priv less than 6 months after they released it - completely disappeared from their stores and website in an instant.

Yet, they've had the Keyone for over 2 years now (official availability in April of 2017), and it's still available on their website as of this post.
    AT&T launched the KEYone in August 2017. I know because I may have bought the first one, according to my AT&T sales manager, who had it shipped to the store for me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-24-19 01:49 PM
51 123