07-12-18 09:05 PM
120 ... 345
tools
    still waiting
    Now we know its a true BlackBerry...waiting for the fix that never comes, sigh
    07-03-18 10:02 PM
    Now we know its a true BlackBerry...waiting for the fix that never comes, sigh
    Indeed. It's very frustrating. I am afraid that Oreo won't solve it.
    07-03-18 10:05 PM
    So we basically got used to not having WiFi.*

Point the finger @ Android, Google, BlackBerry, BlackBerry Mobile or TCL, it doesn't change the fact that this is super frustrating.

If Oreo is the fix, where is Oreo?

I typically try to stay away from "complaining". I absolutely love my KEYᵒⁿᵉ and starting to love BlackBerry on Android more than BB10 but this, it must be fixed even on Nougat as some users may not even want to upgrade.

Luckily I have an unlimited data plan but what about users that don't? What about roaming while on travel? I recently traveled for about two weeks relying on WiFi connections only. It was pretty bad! Had to resort to paying roaming data charges.

*only apply for some users, typically only effect the 5GHz network while 2.4GHz is super slow.
    doby-nut and Sparksx like this.
    07-06-18 02:48 PM
    Count me in as well. I recently picked up the KeyOne Black Edition and love everything about it except when I'm home on my Google WiFi. I will also agree with the others that switching to WEP is a bit of a clownshoes suggestion. I'm actually going to order a cheapo 2.4 WAP from Amazon and see if I can use that for now.
    07-10-18 09:02 AM
    I know I've said multiple times that the WiFi issue doesn't bother me too much since 2.4GHz is fast enough for me, but I have since went back to my LG G6 and I can't go back to the K1. The tiny changes in Oreo plus 5GHz WiFi makes it hard to use the K1 now. At least until Oreo drops, I don't plan on using it.
    Sparksx likes this.
    07-10-18 02:45 PM
    In trying 2.4GHz frequently, I get less than 1 mbps download on a 400/30 line...
    07-10-18 08:09 PM
    Called BlackBerry Mobile. They were supposed to send me a step by step guide that supposedly walk me through resolution for this issue. I am still waiting for the email to come in.
    07-10-18 08:54 PM
    I disabled SSID broadcast of my 5GHZ network and removed security altogether. WiFi is now working with no issues.

Can anyone weigh in on unsafe this practice might be?
    Sparksx likes this.
    07-10-18 09:24 PM
    I disabled SSID broadcast of my 5GHZ network and removed security altogether. WiFi is now working with no issues.

Can anyone weigh in on unsafe this practice might be?
    Anyone around you can connect to your WiFi and use it to torrent/download illegal things when you have no security. They can also discover other devices on your network (Computers, printers, casting devices, smart home devices) and control them.
    07-11-18 10:05 AM
    Anyone around you can connect to your WiFi and use it to torrent/download illegal things when you have no security. They can also discover other devices on your network (Computers, printers, casting devices, smart home devices) and control them.
    But I disabled SSID broadcasting. How will they find the network?
    07-11-18 10:11 AM
    But I disabled SSID broadcasting. How will they find the network?
    There are apps and programs that can be used to do so. Even though the SSID is hidden, the connection is still being broadcast. An application can be installed to "hang onto" the broadcasted information and read it to find the WiFi name. There are a few I found from Googling, but I won't list them.
    07-11-18 10:36 AM
    There are apps and programs that can be used to do so. Even though the SSID is hidden, the connection is still being broadcast. An application can be installed to "hang onto" the broadcasted information and read it to find the WiFi name. There are a few I found from Googling, but I won't list them.
    Got it!

How about if I restrict connection to specific MAC addresses? Will I be safe then?
    07-11-18 10:37 AM
    Got it!

How about if I restrict connection to specific MAC addresses? Will I be safe then?
    Yeah you can do that. It's not as easy to spoof a MAC address without knowing at least what brand of device(s) are using the network. The only problem is when anyone wants to use your WiFi, or you get a new device, you have to manually add them yourself in the router settings.
    07-11-18 10:42 AM
    Yeah you can do that. It's not as easy to spoof a MAC address without knowing at least what brand of device(s) are using the network. The only problem is when anyone wants to use your WiFi, or you get a new device, you have to manually add them yourself in the router settings.
    For other users I can setup a secured Guest Network!

Last question, can MAC address setup be restricted to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz or is it "router wide" only, in which case the "Guest Network" idea may not work...
    07-11-18 10:47 AM
    For other users I can setup a secured Guest Network!

Last question, can MAC address setup be restricted to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz or is it "router wide" only, in which case the "Guest Network" idea may not work...
    I'm not too sure if the MAC address setup would affect a guest network. Personally, I don't use either and I'm not in a place to test it at this moment.

Play with it. Have a laptop/tablet/phone forget the network, and see if you can connect to the guest network with MAC address enforcement.
    07-11-18 11:16 AM
    I'm not too sure if the MAC address setup would affect a guest network. Personally, I don't use either and I'm not in a place to test it at this moment.

Play with it. Have a laptop/tablet/phone forget the network, and see if you can connect to the guest network with MAC address enforcement.
    Excellent! Thank you so much.
    psychofox13 likes this.
    07-11-18 11:26 AM
    07-11-18 05:01 PM
    And here I thought it was encrypted. Well darn.
    07-12-18 10:59 AM
    And here I thought it was encrypted. Well darn.
    Last resort:

Open network, turn it on/off based on usage and schedule Off time at night.

It's either that or we have no WiFi...
    07-12-18 11:04 AM
    Seems like we will have to wait way longer for this fix to come through.

If I read between the lines correctly, the KEYᵒⁿᵉ Oreo beta program that was announced today means that we need to wait longer for the release which supposedly fix the WiFi issue.

It's safe to say that people may not have secured WiFi connection on their KEYᵒⁿᵉ device for the better of 3 - 4 months now, and who knows how long that will continue.
    07-12-18 09:05 PM
120 ... 345