Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
06-11-19 07:16 PM
75 123
tools
    "Samsung Health"... a side effect of the Gear S3 - which works flawlessly with the KEYone, as has Samsung Health! Even I have been surprised as to how well it's behaved and virtually no battery change at all.
    The plot thickens further. I have had the phone in flight mode for the past three hours... there is no change whatsoever in battery drain. So we can rule out the modem and radio.

This is definitely pointing back to a hoggy process that isn't being handled by the battery manager. I am not even getting 8 hours from a full charge.
    03-25-18 11:31 AM
    The plot thickens further. I have had the phone in flight mode for the past three hours... there is no change whatsoever in battery drain. So we can rule out the modem and radio.

This is definitely pointing back to a hoggy process that isn't being handled by the battery manager. I am not even getting 8 hours from a full charge.
    I've not looked back over the thread....

Is this a recurring issue? Sometimes things go bump in the night. I've had it happen. I generally just hold the Power Button for that 32+ seconds and it clears things up. But bad apps do occur.
    03-25-18 12:09 PM
    I've not looked back over the thread....

Is this a recurring issue? Sometimes things go bump in the night. I've had it happen. I generally just hold the Power Button for that 32+ seconds and it clears things up. But bad apps do occur.
    Well... would you believe I just did two 32 second reboots in succession, and, normal power consumption has returned.

As a software developer myself, I am amazed that the Android subsystem can't detect madly abnormal power drain and sort it out internally!

Anyway, it looks like normal service is resumed. Thank you and BigBadWolf for humouring me and suggesting things to try.
    BigBadWulf and FF22 like this.
    03-25-18 02:07 PM
    Maybe it was that buggy CrackBerry app you were using
    wavemobile likes this.
    03-25-18 02:28 PM
    This battery drain started happening to me 10 days ago. I'm going to add to this post. I've done the 32 + second reboot. That does not work. I deleted the most recent app. That didn't work. I do not want to do a factory reset because someone posted that did not work for them either. Plus it is a royal pain to re-install everything. I checked the batter app usage and it is showing the Android System usage at 60%!!!! What the heck? Anyone have any ideas as to why would it be sucking 60% out of my phone and how to fix this? Here is a photo.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-screenshot_20180525-142401.jpg  
    05-25-18 03:39 PM
    @rattleandhum32 same thing happening to my keyone... I posted in another thread about it and nothing seems to fix it.. I've done a bunch of 32+ Second restarts and it levels out for 20 minutes to an hour then back up to Android System taking 20-70% usage. I did just get a system update today (May security patch: AAY819) but still no real change.
    05-28-18 08:04 PM
    Mine after two more 32+ second reboots tonight. Have barely been on my phone and it just drains.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-139797.jpg  
    05-29-18 01:04 AM
    So I think the problem may have to do with the Sim card...

3 days ago I swapped my Sim into my old passport SE and left my KEYone on throughout the day so I could access the info I didn't switch over. Passport SE battery suffered horribly - I was at 29% by 9pm, whereas it used to last me more than a day. The KEYone battery lasted 2+ days as there was no Sim (only WiFi).

This morning I put my Sim/microsd cards into a brand new KEYone as I transfered over a few accounts etc lastnight. battery life has been horrible. I've used the phone as much as any other day in the last year+ with the original KEYone and have had it plugged in a couple times to get me through the day.

This is from today on the brand new KEYone :
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-13732.jpg  
    06-01-18 06:48 PM
    so today I shut off my mobile data and went about my day. battery life improved bigtime. - android system and Media battery usage dropped to normal levels. (See screenshot from 11:32am)

I also decided to go and get a new Sim card from my carrier - talked to their tech support and they said no issues on their end with network/sim and didn't think a new sim would help.

New sim has been in for 7 hours so far and battery has dropped 20% over that time period (haven't been using the phone as much today, so I'm guessing that's somewhat normal). still having this issue with Android System and Media using the most battery (I have taken maybe 4 pictures today, not listened to any music or videos - including YouTube etc) and don't know what "media" is using this much battery power. (See screenshot from 8:51pm)

thinking my next step is to contact BB for support as this is getting ridiculous.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-41119.jpg  
    06-02-18 10:52 PM
    Screenshot from 11:32am didn't upload for some reason.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-15808.jpg  
    06-02-18 10:53 PM
    Screenshot from 11:32am didn't upload for some reason.
    Somethings gotta be wrong with that SD card. I also had the "Media" drain on my first silver KEYone which was an early phone (built 06/23/2017). It didn't have any issues with a SanDisk 32gb SDHC but did the "SD card checking for errors" and "Media" drain with a SanDisk 64gb SDXC.

I didn't have the Android System drain though, but if it's happening with all your KEYone's, it's definitely the sim/SD.

Try running just your sim for a day without the SD and see if battery is normal. If yes (and it should), then the SD is definitely the culprit.

What brand/model/capacity SD are you using?
    06-03-18 06:22 AM
    hmm didn't think about the SD card being the problem. will try that. I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 128GB. I've been using this for about a year or more with zero problems.

I started shutting off data services and using WiFi only and have noticed that the battery usage in both Android System and Media have dropped to normal levels.
    Last edited by croman; 06-03-18 at 04:40 PM.
    06-03-18 10:47 AM
    Not to jinx myself, but it looks like the SD card was the issue. I backed it up on my surfacebook 2 and formatted it, reinstalled it into my keyone and did a 32+ second reboot. Phone has been great so far today (only been off charge for 2 hours) and android system and Media battery usages are virtually non-existent.

Thanks for your suggestion/help!
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-46428.jpg  
    06-04-18 10:55 AM
    Battery is back to normal (maybe even better than before)!
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-46465.jpg  
    06-04-18 03:41 PM
    Battery is back to normal (maybe even better than before)!
    What an evil SD card. It must be possessed.
    croman likes this.
    06-05-18 08:06 AM
    Been having the same battery issue since about January, now I can't get anymore than 6hrs use. Have wiped the phone, wiped the SD card, uninstalled all social media, power centre app, everything I can think off. Phone is basically a brick.
    06-08-18 07:48 AM
    Been having the same battery issue since about January, now I can't get anymore than 6hrs use. Have wiped the phone, wiped the SD card, uninstalled all social media, power centre app, everything I can think off. Phone is basically a brick.
    I also have this drainage problem on the battery. I did all the procedures that were already mentioned here, 32+ seconds, remove SD card, factory reset, delete all after, anyway. None of this works, the battery continues to drain completely abnormal. The strangest thing of all, is that the battery lasts only 8h regardless of what is being done on the device, whether I am accessing the device with maximum brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, loud sound, location enabled. Or the phone is in standby mode and in airplane mode, the battery consumption is the same. Please someone has a solution other than the one described above? I miss the device that lasted a day and a half
    07-10-18 08:14 AM
    I also have this drainage problem on the battery. I did all the procedures that were already mentioned here, 32+ seconds, remove SD card, factory reset, delete all after, anyway. None of this works, the battery continues to drain completely abnormal. The strangest thing of all, is that the battery lasts only 8h regardless of what is being done on the device, whether I am accessing the device with maximum brightness, wifi, Bluetooth, loud sound, location enabled. Or the phone is in standby mode and in airplane mode, the battery consumption is the same. Please someone has a solution other than the one described above? I miss the device that lasted a day and a half
    Just uninstalled the TELUS App, and the battery drainage and OTG device issues seem to have cleared. Also did the 32 second reset.
    08-10-18 10:52 AM
    Just uninstalled the TELUS App, and the battery drainage and OTG device issues seem to have cleared. Also did the 32 second reset.
    Asa it turns out, I posted prematurely, the issues returned after a couple of hours.
    08-11-18 10:09 AM
    Asa it turns out, I posted prematurely, the issues returned after a couple of hours.
    I've got the same issue.

Did You find any solution or answer for what is causing battery drain?
    10-07-18 01:28 PM
    try change encryption method on your wifi router from AES to TKIP, now my keyone loose only 7% battery by night, before change - 30%

also hard reset solve contacts sync drain problem
    Last edited by kkkonrad; 12-03-18 at 06:36 AM.
    12-03-18 06:11 AM
    All of a sudden for the last two days, my Keyone has had seriour battery drain and top left corner on the back is always warm to feel. Only two things I can think of that is different I did in the last 3 days:
    - swapped in a 64GB SD card (but have since removed and device is still draining.)
    - used a power cord that worked always before then didn't (might have had a little moisture on the usb plug)

I've done the 32+ second reboots many times, no change.

Turned off all apps that may have been working in the background. Did all the Battery Optimization steps.

Any suggestions before a I do a factory reset?
    12-26-18 11:01 AM
    Update: Replaced the battery. Did a complete charge from 1% to 100% with the new battery. Unplugged and left overnight. 6 hours later, battery was at 19% when I woke up.

KEYone battery draining too fast. Hardware issue?-screenshot_20181228-075554.jpg
    12-28-18 09:35 AM
    Mine just started this nifty new trick a few days ago......

Gone through the steps on this so far, no avail.
    06-10-19 06:20 PM
    So, I ended up just letting it completely die- and left it off overnight.

So far so good. Fingers crossed, but that seems to of cleared things out.
    06-11-19 07:16 PM
75 123