05-19-17 11:01 AM
97 123 ...
tools
    Is there any way to play youtube videos in background while minimized or after turning off the screen? Any app or special browsers?

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    05-07-17 07:41 AM
    The only way i managed to do this is with split screen. Dunno bout special apps.
    05-07-17 07:49 AM
    Welcome to the restrictions of Android where Google has presented it as a good point video stops when app or Chrome based browser is minimised.

Am I forced this way to watch the advertisements? What a coincidence. Also non-youtube video's suffer from this. But hé, Google knows what good for us.

Anyway, use Firefox. Quite some video's will run on background with it. Changing to desktop mode sometimes is required.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-07-17 07:55 AM
    You can download OG youtube

I use version 10.45.53

And never upgrade it
    Last edited by trader69; 05-07-17 at 08:52 AM.
    05-07-17 08:10 AM
    You can download OG youtube
    This.
    05-07-17 08:21 AM
    Android, what else

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 08:25 AM
    BB10 didn't have some magic power of playing YouTube videos in the background. Google blocks the app from playing in the background, and since BB10 had no official YouTube app it could run the videos in the background of the web browser. The same can be done on Android and iOS, just through the browser. The problem is though, Google owns Chrome so it won't play through the default browser on Android. You can use a different browser and it will work but its not going to work through the YouTube app unless you pay for YouTube Red.
    southlander and yasmar like this.
    05-07-17 08:27 AM
    Google and YouTube content creators are paid by ads. If you don't want to watch ads, then you can essentially prepay for the content by subscribing to Red.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-07-17 08:38 AM
    Curious, is there no 3rd party YouTube app on Android or iOS?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 08:44 AM
    Curious, is there no 3rd party YouTube app on Android or iOS?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, many on Android. OGYouTube is one.
    05-07-17 08:45 AM
    I am using NewPipe, its a very lightweight YouTube Client with background playback and video and audio download.

https://newpipe.schabi.org
    skinnymike1, pooyam and gizmo21 like this.
    05-07-17 09:20 AM
    Is there any way to play youtube videos in background while minimized or after turning off the screen? Any app or special browsers?

Only way is with Red subscription. Google tries to take down any 3rd party apps in the play store that allows this without it...

Edit: I stand corrected. I remember before they would actively remove apps that allow this, but I guess they have eased up a bit as some people have found apps that still allow for it.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-07-17 09:28 AM
    Do you BlackBerry 10 user really think BlackBerry 10 has YouTube app? It's just broswer shortcut
    05-07-17 09:35 AM
    I could just google an apk then if google won't allow it on the playstore

05-07-17 09:39 AM
    Can you skip the ads like you can in the BB10 browser with the 3rd party apps on Android?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 09:53 AM
    I've always found this really annoying. Whenever my wife's S7 is connected to the car and she's playing music, it constantly stops because she goes into another app. I think that's ridiculous and it clearly wasn't designed with the consumer in mind.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 10:07 AM
    I am using NewPipe, its a very lightweight YouTube Client with background playback and video and audio download.

https://newpipe.schabi.org
    OG youtube was blocked to install. Had to download .apk because it was not in my store.

I downloaded NewPipe to my KEYone and am now playing a video while this message with the video in the left top. Awesome! Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails How can I play YouTube in background like on BB10?-8661.jpg  
    05-07-17 10:36 AM
    Cue Troy Tiscareno in 5..4..3..2..1....

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-07-17 10:53 AM
    My Passport doesn't do that anymore since the update
    05-07-17 11:02 AM
    My Passport doesn't do that anymore since the update
    Try open the youtube video in desktop mode, then it works

05-07-17 11:30 AM
    BB10 didn't have some magic power of playing YouTube videos in the background. Google blocks the app from playing in the background, and since BB10 had no official YouTube app it could run the videos in the background of the web browser. The same can be done on Android and iOS, just through the browser. The problem is though, Google owns Chrome so it won't play through the default browser on Android. You can use a different browser and it will work but its not going to work through the YouTube app unless you pay for YouTube Red.
    Great isn't it. And as most Android browsers are based on Chrome, non of them play any video in the background. Also no Skysports or NOS or whatever.

Seems only Firefox keeps customer interest in mind and let me choice by myself whehter I stop a video to answer a WA.
    05-07-17 01:43 PM

I missed this function too. Google offers YouTube red. $10 a month, includes: ad free YouTube, ad free Google music & the ability to shut off your screen or use other apps without interruption of your stream. It's great, no ads & screen off listening!
    05-07-17 01:53 PM
    I missed this function too. Google offers YouTube red. $10 a month, includes: ad free YouTube, ad free Google music & the ability to shut off your screen or use other apps without interruption of your stream. It's great, no ads & screen off listening!
    Like I would pay monthly for functions that should be free. Then I just download a third party app. And I don't even think that youtube red is available in my country

Barbareren likes this.
    05-07-17 02:05 PM
    Like I would pay monthly for functions that should be free. Then I just download a third party app. And I don't even think that youtube red is available in my country

"Should be free" ? What does YouTube owe you personally?
    05-07-17 02:09 PM
    I bought an google product, a android smartphone. That should be enough. Why does background play has to be a premium feature? No ads I can understand, but not this, this is just a stupid restriction.

elfabio80 and Barbareren like this.
    05-07-17 02:12 PM
97 123 ...