01-10-19 07:28 PM
115 ... 345
tools
    I am very happy to find a person who knows me without knowing me, but: the fact is that Blackberry itself has confirmed that the latest Bb android smartphones will never be as safe as the previous Bb OS10 powered. I'm not an expert but I'm very carefull about privacy and I know that a big risk comes from applications, google and so on. Blackberry OS10 was clearly more secure. Then I'd also like to meet you in person, with a Bb10 in one hand and a Tcl android in the other hand to show you what I mean...but for now I prefer to leave you laughing... it seems to me a better thing
    Secure or private?
    PHughes likes this.
    01-09-19 07:40 AM
    Secure or private?
    In both cases was better the BB OS10...
    01-09-19 07:56 AM
    In both cases was better the BB OS10...
    Prove it. If you can't, then you don't compare facts. Prove BB10 was safer or prove Android is not. Unless you do that, it's an empty thread. Sorry.

The entire point is as you with all the respect judge such a difficult topic without having any deep knowledge. Sorry. It's like if I wanted to discuss combustion engines, CPU architecture or the necessity to add fosfates to the soil when growing grain: I DON'T KNOW.

Get a phone which is recommended by (at best independent) security advisor (whom you trust to). Don't waste your time here because BB10 is dead (as it has already been for at least 1,5 years), you won't change that.
    01-09-19 08:28 AM
    Prove it. If you can't, then you don't compare facts. Prove BB10 was safer or prove Android is not. Unless you do that, it's an empty thread. Sorry.

The entire point is as you with all the respect judge such a difficult topic without having any deep knowledge. Sorry. It's like if I wanted to discuss combustion engines, CPU architecture or the necessity to add fosfates to the soil when growing grain: I DON'T KNOW.

Get a phone which is recommended by (at best independent) security advisor (whom you trust to). Don't waste your time here because BB10 is dead (as it has already been for at least 1,5 years), you won't change that.
    I don't whant to change anything....and there is nothing to prove! Simply berause you want me to prove a FACT that ALL knows very well and as I repeat even Blackberry announced and repeated it several times.... So for explaining basically why OS10 is most secure then all the android smartphones and even ios ones (here in the forums there are many posts about that...and not only forums posts...like this very short example:
    According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which is responsible for analyzing and developing guidelines for government information systems within the Federal Information Processing Standard, the version 10 of the operating system of Blackberry is the safest and therefore the most appropriate to be used in the exchange and sharing of government documents. In the mobile sector, where it must deal with the fierce competition of Android, Apple IOS and Windows Phone, Blackberry is the only one with its proprietary operating system BlackBerry 10 to fully exceed the FIPS 140-2 certification (so far no other mobile operating system has succeeded in the enterprise).
    Only one of many articles you could found about that argument...). I should waste time to satisfy some provocations...we kmow... you know on your own these facts..
    01-09-19 10:21 AM
    I don't whant to change anything....and there is nothing to prove! Simply berause you want me to prove a FACT that ALL knows very well and as I repeat even Blackberry announced and repeated it several times.... So for explaining basically why OS10 is most secure then all the android smartphones and even ios ones (here in the forums there are many posts about that...and not only forums posts...like this very short example:
    According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which is responsible for analyzing and developing guidelines for government information systems within the Federal Information Processing Standard, the version 10 of the operating system of Blackberry is the safest and therefore the most appropriate to be used in the exchange and sharing of government documents. In the mobile sector, where it must deal with the fierce competition of Android, Apple IOS and Windows Phone, Blackberry is the only one with its proprietary operating system BlackBerry 10 to fully exceed the FIPS 140-2 certification (so far no other mobile operating system has succeeded in the enterprise).
    Only one of many articles you could found about that argument...). I should waste time to satisfy some provocations...we kmow... you know on your own these facts..
    FIPS 140-2 is not standard in BB10, it has to be activated. Your device is not certified if you don't work for a government. How old is the article? A lot has changed. Other phones and operating systems are also capable of FIPS 140-2 if programmed and activated.
    01-09-19 10:51 AM
    FIPS 140-2 is not standard in BB10, it has to be activated. Your device is not certified if you don't work for a government. How old is the article? A lot has changed. Other phones and operating systems are also capable of FIPS 140-2 if programmed and activated.
    I cited one of many articles from 2012 to 2015, of course today OS10 is no longer a part of the existing operating systems....

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 11:06 AM
    I cited one of many articles from 2012 to 2015, of course today OS10 is no longer a part of the existing operating systems....

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry Android "enhances the security of Android full-disk encryption by using a FIPS 140-2 compliant Certicom/ BlackBerry Cryptographic Kernel, encrypting user data using AES-128 (AES-CBC-ESSIV:SHA-256), and protecting the key within BlackBerry Secure Compound."
    01-09-19 11:26 AM
    Wouldn't it be safe to say that BB10 was more secure back then, but everyone else has since caught up, especially when on a managed network.
    01-09-19 12:55 PM
    Wouldn't it be safe to say that BB10 was more secure back then, but everyone else has since caught up, especially when on a managed network.
    That would be fair to say. Although not all Android implementations are equal.
    01-09-19 12:57 PM
    Also, you can install a firewall to filter out all traffic to Google, FB etc.
    I'm a novice. How do I do that?
    01-09-19 11:00 PM
    Amen!
    01-09-19 11:00 PM
    That would be fair to say. Although not all Android implementations are equal.
    Just to add to what you've said...

Most of the plausible arguments (including mine) for BB10 being more secure in 2019 than BlackBerry Android are based on the assumption that BB10 running stock apps has a much smaller attack surface than BlackBerry Android running its stock apps. Simpler systems with integrated transactions have fewer vulnerabilities.

Most of the plausible arguments (including yours) for BlackBerry Android being more secure in 2019 than BB10 are based on the assumption that BB10 users are using outdated third party Android apps and/or side loaded, patched apps from the Google Play Store using Cobalt's tools, all running in the deprecated Android 4.3 runtine. This dramatically increases the attack surface of BB10, and that surface is made up of less secure apps.

I would like to suggest that there is no conflict between both perspectives.

Locked down BB10 is much more secure than the average consumer setup of BlackBerry Android; and a consumer setup of BB10 running old and side loaded APKs is less secure than a locked down BlackBerry Android setup.

The Android security model is very robust when properly implemented, using all of the basic principles pioneered by BlackBerry. But the Android business model encourages users to take risks by adding many apps without properly vetting or monitoring them.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    01-10-19 10:10 AM
    If the meaning of freedom is the possibility of choice....then I whant the choice to have contacts, calendar, gallery, notes, calls, sms built in...clearly and completely separated from the web! So I don't HAVE TO register in third parts apps and put my private data on....unless it's MY CHOICE.

Posted via CB10
    Heck you can buy a paper planner and a pen. Maybe even a palm pilot or Newton
    PHughes likes this.
    01-10-19 04:32 PM
    Heck you can buy a paper planner and a pen. Maybe even a palm pilot or Newton
    ...already done! Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-10-19 06:24 PM
    I'm a novice. How do I do that?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-orbot-1134676

You don't need to combine Netguard with Tor, but it's an option which I use on all my BB Android phones so that any connections made are anonymized.

www.netguard.me

You can buy it from Google Play, but if you've disabled Google Services, you can purchase it from the site.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 01-10-19 at 10:08 PM.
    01-10-19 07:28 PM
115 ... 345