01-10-19 07:28 PM
115 123 ...
tools
    If the meaning of freedom is the possibility of choice....then I whant the choice to have contacts, calendar, gallery, notes, calls, sms built in...clearly and completely separated from the web! So I don't HAVE TO register in third parts apps and put my private data on....unless it's MY CHOICE.

Posted via CB10
    Byrese and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-03-19 08:55 AM
    What do you mean by "register"? Do you mean "sign in" to an account? You don't have to do that.

Just don't sync to an online account if you're so paranoid.

Even with BB10, if you synced to a Google or Microsoft account, your info was never totally private. And, SMS could always be seen by your carrier under any OS.
    01-03-19 09:38 AM
    What do you mean by "register"? Do you mean "sign in" to an account? You don't have to do that.

Just don't sync to an online account if you're so paranoid.

Even with BB10, if you synced to a Google or Microsoft account, your info was never totally private. And, SMS could always be seen by your carrier under any OS.
    Can you use your calendar without sign in.... on the key series? Have the key series a gallery built in to see your photos or modify them?.......like OS10 have the key series sms, calendar, gallery, notes, contacts etc, not connected to the play store and not monitorized by the google play store ?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by blackbp; 01-04-19 at 03:31 AM.
    01-03-19 09:50 AM
    Well... Yes. They do.

Gallery: Use Google Photos WITHOUT logging in.
    SMS: No Google account needed.
    Calendar: Create a local calendar on the BB calendar app. Do not connect a Google Calendar.
    Notes: BB Notes.
    Contacts: Again, store contacts on a local profile, do not connect a Google account.

I do not see your problem. An android is absolutely useable without Google. There are a lot of tutorials online about how to get rid of Google on your phone.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-03-19 10:41 AM
    Also, you can install a firewall to filter out all traffic to Google, FB etc.
    01-03-19 10:43 AM
    Calendar ask always e-mail acccess and has to be sincronized with phone and contacts..... There is no gallery built in on the key series...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-19 10:49 AM
    All the apps from third parts that need an e-mail login or even pre installed apps that need an e-mail login are not in privacy mode...so the problem is not mine...I just expose a fact...no google at all in my smartphones....but in the BB10 ones I have all built in apps...calendar no need to sincronize to an e-mail or to contacts or phone...so the gallery...no third part app...but a gallery just IN the phone, no e-mail, no app store, no sincro at all...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-19 10:58 AM
    Can you use your calendar without sign in.... on the key series? Have the key series a gallery built in to see your photos or mofify them?.......like OS10 have the key series sms, calendar, gallery, notes, contacts etc, not connected to the play store and not monitorized by the google play store ?

Posted via CB10
    I have a Galaxy S8, running the BlackBerry Hub Suite. The Hub apps do seem to need an account to sync to - you are right in that I don't see a way to just save calendar or contact entries locally, but the Samsung provided contacts and calendar apps both have options to save locally.

Now, there is an option in Notes to save locally.

For the Gallery, I use Samsung's app, and it does not require syncing to anything. It can, but I chose not to turn it on.

BTW, even with Google's own Photos app, you don't have to sign into a Google account to use it and you don't have to sync to online Google Photos.

For SMS, I use Textra. That shouldn't sync anywhere but with your carrier (since they control that anyway). The contact app would need access to SMS so that you can go straight to the SMS app from the mobile number in the contact entry.
    01-03-19 11:28 AM
    All the apps from third parts that need an e-mail login or even pre installed apps that need an e-mail login are not in privacy mode...so the problem is not mine...I just expose a fact...no google at all in my smartphones....but in the BB10 ones I have all built in apps...calendar no need to sincronize to an e-mail or to contacts or phone...so the gallery...no third part app...but a gallery just IN the phone, no e-mail, no app store, no sincro at all...

Posted via CB10
    I just thought of something. If you are using an Android with everything being stored locally, BE SURE TO BACK YOUR PHONE'S DATA UP!

Otherwise you could wind up some day with a dead phone and no way to recover your information.
    Mecca EL and app_Developer like this.
    01-03-19 03:20 PM
    Well... Yes. They do.

Calendar: Create a local calendar on the BB calendar app. Do not connect a Google Calendar.
    Contacts: Again, store contacts on a local profile, do not connect a Google account.

I do not see your problem. An android is absolutely useable without Google. There are a lot of tutorials online about how to get rid of Google on your phone.
    I didn't knew that you could sign off the Gallery from the Googles. Never saw a sense in that!!!

So I logged off and the app is now like I want. No sync or cloud crap when it comes to photos.

Thanks for that gold post!
    01-03-19 04:26 PM
    Well... Yes. They do.

Thank you, but in any case those apps are not built in, and in any case google play store knows how many times you use those apps...and may be even more....

Posted via CB10
    01-04-19 03:36 AM
    Thank you, but in any case those apps are not built in, and in any case google play store knows how many times you use those apps...and may be even more....

Posted via CB10
    Well, that is strange, on my Key2, all of those came preinstalled - the complete BB App Suite with Notes, Calendar, contacts and Google Photo.

As I said, the best option you have is a firewall, which will block outgoing traffic to certain adresses or from certain apps in general.
    chetmanley likes this.
    01-04-19 09:19 AM
    It's interesting that in just the last week we've seen such a resurgence of this genuine concern.
    Coupled with multiple articles posted in the media regarding this topic, one of which calls out TCL and the Blackberry brand specifically, it certainly appears TCL needs to make a course correction before moving forward.

They need to address these concerns, remove the offending applications and spyware from their devices, and make assurances to their fans and potential future customers that they really have their interests in mind.

TCL could do well to take advantage of this growing public awareness to market some truly private android devices to potential customers out there who really have no options in the smartphone space.

But first they need to do some damage control.
    Byrese and cyberdoggie like this.
    01-04-19 09:58 AM
    This "news" is over a year old, and only affected Chinese devices which required Google app substitutes.
    01-04-19 10:29 AM
    Well, that is strange, on my Key2, all of those came preinstalled - the complete BB App Suite with Notes, Calendar, contacts and Google Photo.

As I said, the best option you have is a firewall, which will block outgoing traffic to certain adresses or from certain apps in general.
    If you take a look in the google play store you can see all the blackberry's apps "preinstalled"... all those apps are monitored by google and the playstore, google can tell you how many times you use your blackberry's apps every single time and even for how many hours and so on...
    I come from years of BB10 OS and that it's impossible...because all the apps are IN the phone isolated from every access to the web....no usage tracking and nothing even close to it...that is the first little part of privacy I need/whant from a secure samrtphone. Because if some people are still looking for a named Blackberry (tcl) smartphone, it's not only for the pkb option...

Posted via CB10
    Byrese likes this.
    01-04-19 10:33 AM
    It's interesting that in just the last week we've seen such a resurgence of this genuine concern.
    Coupled with multiple articles posted in the media regarding this topic, one of which calls out TCL and the Blackberry brand specifically, it certainly appears TCL needs to make a course correction before moving forward.

They need to address these concerns, remove the offending applications and spyware from their devices, and make assurances to their fans and potential future customers that they really have their interests in mind.

TCL could do well to take advantage of this growing public awareness to market some truly private android devices to potential customers out there who really have no options in the smartphone space.

Yes! Even because if I send an e-mail with my key2, at the bottom it's write "sent via my Blackberry the most secure mobile..."..................ok then! Show me this decanted security and privacy!! Facts! Not words!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-19 10:43 AM
    If you take a look in the google play store you can see all the blackberry's apps "preinstalled"... all those apps are monitored by google and the playstore, google can tell you how many times you use your blackberry's apps every single time and even for how many hours and so on...
    I come from years of BB10 OS and that it's impossible...because all the apps are IN the phone isolated from every access to the web....no usage tracking and nothing even close to it...that is the first little part of privacy I need/whant from a secure samrtphone. Because if some people are still looking for a named Blackberry (tcl) smartphone, it's not only for the pkb option...

Posted via CB10
    Disable the connections with a firewall, or disable the apps entirely. Your choice.
    01-04-19 10:44 AM
    This "news" is over a year old, and only affected Chinese devices which required Google app substitutes.
    Maybe we're thinking of different "news" but the TCL app report was just published.
    @thurask posted the source in another thread on the topic:
    https://www.upstreamsystems.com/secu...ufactured-tcl/

It didn't just affect Chinese devices. It affected anyone who downloaded the app from Google Play. It also did some pretty nefarious things once installed as outlined in the above article from the researchers themselves.

We as BB users know the app in question doesn't come loaded on our BB branded devices. However a major media outlet (BBC News) published an article about this discovery and stated that this exact app is installed by default on Alcatel AND BB devices.

That is bad press which TCL needs to correct.

That said, even if the app isn't on our BB Devices, TCL did make and distribute an app which cost its victims large amounts of data (250mb per day), uploaded personal information and which, in the words of the researchers, committed "click fraud".

So kinda hard at this point for TCL to come out of this looking good.
    01-04-19 10:45 AM
    Yes! Even because if I send an e-mail with my key2, at the bottom it's write "sent via my Blackberry the most secure mobile..."..................ok then! Show me this decanted security and privacy!! Facts! Not words!

Posted via CB10
    What do you want to know?

BlackBerry has decided Google is not the enemy. If you have a different view, govern yourself accordingly.
    app_Developer and chain13 like this.
    01-04-19 10:46 AM
    Google IS the enemy...and we all know that shearing data and all that stuff...but this is not the point...the point is that I payed for an android smartphone with low specs not only for the pkb...but most for it's decanted security and privacy focused...so that privacy I whant...
    01-04-19 10:47 AM
    Maybe we're thinking of different "news" but the TCL app report was just published.
    @thurask posted the source in another thread on the topic:
    https://www.upstreamsystems.com/secu...ufactured-tcl/

It didn't just affect Chinese devices. It affected anyone who downloaded the app from Google Play. It also did some pretty nefarious things once installed as outlined in the above article from the researchers themselves.

We as BB users know the app in question doesn't come loaded on our BB branded devices. However a major media outlet (BBC News) published an article about this discovery and stated that this exact app is installed by default on Alcatel AND BB devices.

That is bad press which TCL needs to correct.

That said, even if the app isn't on our BB Devices, TCL did make and distribute an app which cost its victims large amounts of data (250mb per day), uploaded personal information and which, in the words of the researchers, committed "click fraud".

So kinda hard at this point for TCL to come out of this looking good.
    I'd only be concerned if the Play Store listing had said "BlackBerry" or "BlackBerry Mobile" instead of "TCL".
    01-04-19 10:51 AM
    I'd only be concerned if the Play Store listing had said "BlackBerry" or "BlackBerry Mobile" instead of "TCL".
    If a user searches on Google for "Blackberry Weather", this is what they get:

https://www.androidauthority.com/tcl...er-app-939560/

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...arvesting-data

https://www.silicon.co.uk/mobility/m...1db8df178b53cf
    01-04-19 11:03 AM
    It is what it is.

I'm not sure how a BBMo press release would help, other than bring even more attention to the matter - not that anyone would pay attention or care anyway.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-04-19 11:06 AM
    It is what it is.

I'm not sure how a BBMo press release would help, other than bring even more attention to the matter - not that anyone would pay attention or care anyway.
    Blackberry Mobile and tcl are selling a product decanted like the most secure! That's crazy enough...or not?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-19 11:19 AM
    Still
    Blackberry Mobile and tcl are selling a product decanted like the most secure! That's crazy enough...or not?

Posted via CB10
    BBMo sells a very secure device. You're just making your own philosophical assessment on Google, which they don't happen to agree with.
    01-04-19 11:21 AM
115 123 ...