View Poll Results: Regarding the BlackBerry London, what is the ideal screen size for you?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 4.0"

33 16.50%
  • 4.0" to 4.4"

118 59.00%
  • 4.5" to 4.9"

38 19.00%
  • 5.0" or greater

11 5.50%
    Regarding the upcoming London, what would you say is the ideal screen size for you?

Less than 4.0"?
    4.0" to 4.5"?
    4.5" to 5.0"?
    5.0" or greater?

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see a 5-inch screen at the very least. A few months ago I would have said that this is far too large, but I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note, and because it's so light & thin, the size of the phone (surprisingly) isn't a problem at all. In fact, the Note's 5.3-inch screen has really spoiled me, and it would be difficult to go back to a smaller screen at this point.

Anyway, what's the ideal screen size for you?
    Last edited by Beethoven9th; 02-27-12 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Typos
    02-27-12 09:50 PM
    I'd like 4.0 - 4.4". I like my 3.7" Torch screen, but a bit bigger would be nice, especially for the virtual keyboard. I don't want a brick though, even if it is a thin one. So 5" is much too big (especially since my PlayBook is good for the larger screen needs).
    stevepar likes this.
    02-27-12 10:07 PM
    Just curious, but have you tried the Galaxy Note? I only ask because people (including myself) have said the exact same thing, yet after trying out & using the device, about 90% changed their mind.

With that said, a few still didn't like the bigger screen, so to each his own.
    02-28-12 01:58 PM
    Less than 4 inches. I've done the " big amazing screen" thing on a phone. It's just too big and heavy for me. I'm staying with a smaller device for a phone.

For a tab, 7 inches is perfect.
    02-28-12 03:48 PM
    For the London I would love a 4.5" screen that would be perfect since theirs rumors of a 3D virtual keyboard in blackberry 10 and that would be perfect...and I've tried the Galaxy Note at an At&t store and I was blown away how comfortable the phone was so anything from 4.3 to 4.8 would be perfect for the London
    02-28-12 07:31 PM
    Currently, I own a 3.7" device and think it's the ideal size for me.
    02-29-12 01:28 AM
    I love my 9800 screen size but wouldn't mind it an inch bigger but that it
    02-29-12 02:06 AM
    I'm visually challenged, so I prefer a larger screen size. Also have big and clumsy hands. Having said that, I don't want to cross the 5" threshold as I still want to be able to put it in my pocket. I think BlackBerry should make 2 sizes of each model : 4" and 4.7".
    02-29-12 02:56 AM
    if it is bigger than the 4 - 4.4 range, I'm not buying it. I now hate Samsung for what they are doing with the size of the devices. I don't want to carry a brick, I want a phone.
    02-29-12 06:18 AM
    I've got a Galaxy S2 and I love the size of the screen. I could probably go a little bit bigger as well. I think it comes down to maybe the size of your hands as to what you find acceptable. Weight wise, the S2 is pretty light (lighter than an iPhone). And speaking of iPhone, the screen size is way to small. Maybe I am spoiled now but it seems really tiny and I would not want something that small. (Though to be fair, despite its small screen, the virtual keyboard is still better than on the larger screen S2).

I'm hoping RIM does that slider that got cancelled. Looked as big as an S2 with a keyboard on the bottorm.
    02-29-12 06:30 AM
    for a tablet i think 8.9 is a perfect size (which is the mid-galaxy tab). Ive touched and played with the Note. Its half way tablet and half phone - its very popular in a few countries and I felt it was really awkward looking at people with a book on their head when they were making calls..

bigger is nice but its not necessarily better.
    02-29-12 06:48 AM
    I think that when it comes to a phone, 3.7- 4 inches should be the max. I understand why some people like the bigger screens, especially those with vision problems. I tried a Samsung Infuse last year and that screen was huge, which made the phone huge, and I could barely hold it with one hand and I was afraid of dropping it. Needless to say I returned it. For those who love the bigger screens, I think taking a tablet with you is a good idea. To each his/her own. But I am looking forward to seeing what the size of the London will be.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    02-29-12 06:49 AM
    I don't know what I want. I've always been a keyboard guy but the more I use the playbook the more comfortable I am typing on glass. Also if I stick with a keyboard I don't know what size screen will be right where it doesn't make the bold like phone look ********. Chances are that I'm going to stick to a keyboard considering if I had the London it will be like having two size playbook which I intend to have but only when they come out with the bigger one.
    02-29-12 07:52 AM
    I think 4.5 would be good. If the screen use all the phone surface it would not he really larger than my torch. I'd love to have a right side slider but not with a physical keyboard but with a another screen that will be a full customisable virtual keyboard. Full qwerty in landscape and reduce keyboard in portrait. A finger swipe and it's a trackpad. Another gesture and it's the multitasking dock. It could be the media key when watching video. It could be the search bar when in the browser or switch from regular calculator to full scientific one. Or just expand the screen when you want it bigger. What I don't like about the actual virtual keybord on any device it's that it hide a part of what I was watching. I think a phone like that will open the way to developper to a ton of way to customize our phone. I think That a open slider phone is easier to hold and more comfortable in hand when browsing or using it for a long period. And you can talk in a regular phone size.
    02-29-12 09:31 AM
    4.5 in would be perfect. My gf has a SGS2 which i use occasionally to play games on it. I've gotten used to the 4.3in that when i use my friend's iphones, it seems too small now. Flagship phones need to be pretty darn impressive, but not over the top i.e. Note territory imho.
    02-29-12 09:41 AM
    Regarding the upcoming London, what would you say is the ideal screen size for you?

Less than 4.0"?
    4.0" to 4.5"?
    4.5" to 5.0"?
    5.0" or greater?

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see a 5-inch screen at the very least. A few months ago I would have said that this is far too large, but I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note, and because it's so light & thin, the size of the phone (surprisingly) isn't a problem at all. In fact, the Note's 5.3-inch screen has really spoiled me, and it would be difficult to go back to a smaller screen at this point.

I would too, especially if RIM drops keyboard and goes all the way with capacitive. The London will be getting alot of scrutiny, the Galaxy note is getting alot of attention. The London will really have to distinguish itself or it will fall into the mire of hundreds of smartphones on the market. MWC reports are looking bleak and dismissive. RIM really has to offer a phone that is truly compelling backed by a substantial app market. I would hate to see it go the way of Palm. In it's last days complaints of shoddy build and small size were chronic. The BlackBerry as great as it is, has too small a screen to be a modern smartphone. People are complaining about the smallness of the iPhone. Smartphones are really being used as pocket computers and less as telephones. RIM could have a winner if the London is as well made as the PlayBook and functions in tandem with it but not reliant on the PB. One thing RIM still has going for it is security. It is not plagued by the data theft scandals of iOS and Google/Android. Both U.S and E.U regulations and penalties are imminent. RIM is clean
    02-29-12 11:29 AM
    just little more than 3 years ago, no one thought that people would carry around a phone that large on their hand. Blackberry size was considered "large phone" that seems too wide according to some people. I used to think 4.3 inch htc hd2 screen was totally ridiculous. I just got myself to use the galaxy note for a few days and it does stick out my dress pants a little bit.

However, try going back to screens that are half an inch smaller. It just doesn't feel right anymore. I never went back to iphone after I tried on a HD2, and I never got back to 4.3 inch after I am used to the note 5 inch. It seems ridiculous NOW to have a 5 inch phone, but if RIM is really looking ahead and designing for the future, I think 4.7-5 will be the sweet spot.

Just like watches, it just looks that much better with that extra half an inch, and once it becomes a trendy thing, no one would laugh at your watch with a gigantic dial. I believe screen size of smartphones would increase half an inch every year, until the point when it's just too large to bring around all the time, like a 7 inch playbook. And we should see the edge of the smartphone getting thinner until it's totally edgeless to maximize screen real estate. I wonder what the QNX control interface will be like without those edges...
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    02-29-12 08:28 PM
    just little more than 3 years ago, no one thought that people would carry around a phone that large on their hand. Blackberry size was considered "large phone" that seems too wide according to some people. I used to think 4.3 inch htc hd2 screen was totally ridiculous. I just got myself to use the galaxy note for a few days and it does stick out my dress pants a little bit.

However, try going back to screens that are half an inch smaller. It just doesn't feel right anymore. I never went back to iphone after I tried on a HD2, and I never got back to 4.3 inch after I am used to the note 5 inch. It seems ridiculous NOW to have a 5 inch phone, but if RIM is really looking ahead and designing for the future, I think 4.7-5 will be the sweet spot.

Just like watches, it just looks that much better with that extra half an inch, and once it becomes a trendy thing, no one would laugh at your watch with a gigantic dial. I believe screen size of smartphones would increase half an inch every year, until the point when it's just too large to bring around all the time, like a 7 inch playbook. And we should see the edge of the smartphone getting thinner until it's totally edgeless to maximize screen real estate. I wonder what the QNX control interface will be like without those edges...
    I disagree on the future sizes. Companies seem to be testing out all sorts of sizes to determine what is right and what is the future. With more people buying tablets, I think the phone screen sizes will come back down. I've had the Evo and other large screen Androids, but unlike you, I preferred going back to the iPhone. I think the sweet spot should be around 4 inches. Everyone is different though, so I'm not sure where this is going to go. I do know I will never be able to carry a phone the size of the Note.
    03-01-12 12:58 PM
    4 inches is the best for me. 4.3 inches will also do
    03-02-12 11:26 AM
    5" screen only for virtual keyboard is not fair, it will be difficult to fit the device in your pocket. 4" is enough. In case of virtual keyboard, I guess BB should stick to qwerty keyboards. Having swype would be nice!
    03-03-12 05:07 AM
    ...For those who love the bigger screens, I think taking a tablet with you is a good idea. To each his/her own...
    This is precisely the reason why some want a larger screen--they don't want to carry 2 separate devices at all times.
    03-04-12 09:43 AM
    4.5 in would be perfect. My gf has a SGS2 which i use occasionally to play games on it. I've gotten used to the 4.3in that when i use my friend's iphones, it seems too small now. Flagship phones need to be pretty darn impressive, but not over the top i.e. Note territory imho.

Yea I'd love a 4.5" screen, that would be perfect for onscreen keyboard and I've wanted to go big screen but not leave BB.
    03-04-12 09:47 PM

Less than 4.0"?
    4.0" to 4.5"?
    4.5" to 5.0"?
    5.0" or greater?

I bought the NOTE a few months ago.. so.. yes just like you> i need more..
    03-06-12 10:42 AM
    iPhones have 3.5 inch screens... and yes they are too small even though their screens are really nice. I had a phone with a 4" screen which before I got it I thought it would be too big but as I used it I kind of wished it was 4.3 - 4.5. I would say nothing larger then 4.5 as it would look kind of weird having a phone bigger then that held against your ear.
    03-07-12 01:35 AM
    I bought the NOTE a few months ago.. so.. yes just like you> i need more..
    Ah, another Note lover. Excellent.

What I find so ironic is that most complaints about the Note's size come from people who haven't even tried one before. The overwhelming majority of people who have actually used it have no problems at all with the size.
    03-07-12 10:43 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD