I received an automatic update today from Windows and now Link won't open. Uninstalled, reinstalled, link, rebooted, cleared cache, ran disc cleaner - still get "there is a problem with opening this program.". Any ideas? Not able to revert back to pre-update state, since that feature not activated. Help!

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:35 PM
    It's a driver problem.
    Windows 7 will not install software with unsigned drivers.
    To get around that problem, go into your "advanced boot screen" and scroll down to "allow" unsigned drivers.
    Restart your PC. To install "Link" right click on the EXE file and "run as administrator."
    00stryder likes this.
    01-08-14 10:28 PM
    ^^^ many thanks! I will try it tomorrow when back at work.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:57 PM
    This would explain why my display driver went crazy a week ago when I got an update for windows 7 then.... thanks again.

MDZ
    Lostboy5151 likes this.
    01-08-14 11:16 PM
    Nope. Didn't work.

MDZ
    01-09-14 05:05 PM
    Maybe you need to reinstall the OS. Sounds corrupted somehow.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 05:05 PM
    Yes, I'm beginning to think that. Uggh!

MDZ
    Oilers24 likes this.
    01-09-14 06:29 PM
    Yes, I'm beginning to think that. Uggh!

MDZ
    Get a external drive with USB 3.0 and back the data. Shouldn't be too bad.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 07:00 PM
    Maybe you need to reinstall the OS. Sounds corrupted somehow.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925

Whoa! Are you talking about the Computers OS?
    You CAN uninstall updates.
    Go into CONTROL PANEL and click "Programs and Features." In the upper left corner, click "View Installed Updates."
    Choose the updates you want to uninstall!

Also, in control panel, click Windows Update. Then in the upper left corner, click "Change Setting." Under Important Updates change the settings to "Download updates But Let me choose weather to install them.

And before reinstalling the OS
    If you're on Windows 7 or XP, Boot into the advanced boot screen.

Scroll to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
    Type CHKDSK /F /R and hit enter. ReBOOT!

This will do an in depth scan of your system and will fix, repair and replace any corrupt system files.
    This will take, at the minimum, several hours, so walk away!

This will NOT in any way effect your software and personal files. This is strictly for your OS!

If you're on Windows 8 or 8.1... On the sidebar click "settings," then "change PC settings."
    In the PC Settings window click "General." On the right column you'll have a choice to REFRESH, REMOVE or ADVANCED!
    jtv1 likes this.
    01-11-14 06:57 PM
    Thanks! This will help a lot. I think a Windows update messed with my OS on computer, so will roll this back if I can. Thanks for the help.

MDZ
    Lostboy5151 and Dave Bourque like this.
    01-11-14 09:07 PM
    I had Blackberry link before, now I cant install. Help?
    What do you mean by "advanced boot screen" ? Can you tell me this thing step by step?
    08-31-14 06:37 PM
    I've experienced this before. My way back?

Uninstall BB Link
    Run Ccleaner (Do the clean and the registry clean)
    ReBoot PC
    Re-install BB Link from there...

Good Luck!
    09-01-14 11:55 AM
    I've experienced this before. My way back?

Uninstall BB Link
    Run Ccleaner (Do the clean and the registry clean)
    ReBoot PC
    Re-install BB Link from there...

Good Luck!
    Did it already. Doesn't work. I don't want reinstall my windows just because of this...
    09-01-14 12:30 PM
    It's a driver problem.
    Windows 7 will not install software with unsigned drivers.
    To get around that problem, go into your "advanced boot screen" and scroll down to "allow" unsigned drivers.
    Restart your PC. To install "Link" right click on the EXE file and "run as administrator."
    Dear Lostboy

I caught a sentence you mentioned "unsigned drivers"
    I am perplexed why BlackBerry would unsign anything, seeing security is supposed to be BBs priority.

Just saying, but as much as I love my BB, some things are really making me angry with them and this just shouldn't be.

jtvberry
    10-12-14 07:12 PM
    There was a windows update, recently that has caused major issues on both windows 7 and 8.x. Backing off the update has allowed many apps to start working again. Microsoft has acknowledged that they screwed up.

I don't have the update # right now, but you can find it by doing some searches in Google.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 01:02 PM
    Doing a complete reinstall of Windows seems like an extreme solution. Definitely only do that as a last resort.

 Posted via CB10 
    12-17-14 01:34 PM
    I can't install Link at all! When I plug the phone in I click on START as it says to do so and nothing happens. I tried downloading Link from BLackberry's website. It downloads, I double click on it, unzips and closes with nothing installed. Every time I want to give Blackberry another chance something stupid like this happens. How am I supposed to back up my **** to buy another BB device to restore to? Are we all supposed to be IT wizards to use their devices? ugh...

Anyway, I'm on Win 7. There MIGHT have been BB software installed on this computer previously (a year or two ago) but nothing on it at the moment.

If anybody has suggestions how to get this to work hopefully without having to reinstall windows I'd appreciate some pointers. Thanks!
    12-31-14 10:21 AM
    I would be interested in a solution too. I have also tried every listed solution. My only difference is that I try to load BlackBerry software or Link and it tells me I have a newer version installed. Yet, I have already Uninstalled both ran cc, chkdsk, searched registry, etc. The two blackberry files in services were deleted. I re-downloaded the software, and thought I had it fixed, but I keep getting you have a newer version installed already. Yet, I can't find it.
    01-04-15 09:40 PM
    I can't install Link at all! When I plug the phone in I click on START as it says to do so and nothing happens. I tried downloading Link from BLackberry's website. It downloads, I double click on it, unzips and closes with nothing installed. Every time I want to give Blackberry another chance something stupid like this happens. How am I supposed to back up my **** to buy another BB device to restore to? Are we all supposed to be IT wizards to use their devices? ugh...

Anyway, I'm on Win 7. There MIGHT have been BB software installed on this computer previously (a year or two ago) but nothing on it at the moment.

If anybody has suggestions how to get this to work hopefully without having to reinstall windows I'd appreciate some pointers. Thanks!
    I have uninstalled and re-downloaded Link several times from BlackBerry and never had to double click or unzip anything. Also on Windows 7. How are you doing it?

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    01-10-15 02:12 PM