12-16-16 08:25 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    Here's another twist to this, on my main computer which I did a Windows Reset to get Link to Work I have ITunes 12.5 running and I went looking for the iTunes Prefs xml file and it is not there at all???
    Did you go to Control Panel, Appearance, and click on "show hidden files?" It's temporary--after a reboot the files are hidden again, I think.
    10-05-16 11:37 AM
    Bonsoir, je suis la franaise qui cherchait aussi comprendre, et je vous remercie tous, d'abord d'avoir compris que c'tait un problme Windows, Apple et Blackberry, et ensuite d'avoir trouv la solution avec le iTunesPrefs.xml renommer.

Je signale a aux franais

Many Thanks to you
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-05-16 02:56 PM
    Yes KenV54 I sure did and the file is not there!!
    10-05-16 03:43 PM
    Did you go to Control Panel, Appearance, and click on "show hidden files?" It's temporary--after a reboot the files are hidden again, I think.
    Just a side note... that setting is not temporary.

In fact, the very first thing I do when setting up a new Windows installation is turn on "show hidden files..." and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" (one of the stupidest things Windows has ever defaulted to IMHO). I also uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

This has been my standard practice since Win 95 began trying to hide these things from us.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 04:13 PM

In fact, the very first thing I do when setting up a new Windows installation is turn on "show hidden files..." and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" (one of the stupidest things Windows has ever defaulted to IMHO). I also uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

This has been my standard practice since Win 95 began trying to hide these things from us.

Posted via CB10
    Yup.....me too.
    10-05-16 04:32 PM
    Here's another twist to this, on my main computer which I did a Windows Reset to get Link to Work I have ITunes 12.5 running and I went looking for the iTunes Prefs xml file and it is not there at all???
    Yes, I've run iTunes a couple times since renaming it, and it hasn't been replaced, so maybe it was just a remnant from earlier versions that was locking something Link needed. I'll check again after I eventually restart Windows to be sure.
    10-05-16 05:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I expected the files to be unhidden, too, after rebooting, which is why I went back to hide them again. (Whether its better to keep them hidden is another issue. It does keep you from doing stupid things inadvertently.) When I went in the control panel, they were hidden again. I know I hadn't hidden them before rebooting.

One possible explanation, other than my having misremembered it, is that I'm using a virtual machine in Parallels. The VM is from Boot Camp on my Mac, and is not a free standing VM. So maybe when it "saves" the VM back Boot Camp on closing out Windows, "the unhide hidden files" setting doesn't stick.
    Last edited by KenV54; 10-05-16 at 09:32 PM.
    10-05-16 09:22 PM
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and glad we're finding solutions!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 09:42 PM
    Bonsoir, je suis la franaise qui cherchait aussi comprendre, et je vous remercie tous, d'abord d'avoir compris que c'tait un problme Windows, Apple et Blackberry, et ensuite d'avoir trouv la solution avec le iTunesPrefs.xml renommer.

Je signale a aux franais

Many Thanks to you

... and for the English buddies ...
    jlamince confirms that the point was related to Windows, Apple and BlackBerry and that the itunesPrefs.xml had indeed to be renamed and solved the problem.

Merci pour les franais but don't forget our hosts !
    pkcable and zocster like this.
    10-06-16 10:25 AM
    You guys are all taking weird steps. Just run it in compatibility mode. Here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ams-compatible

Worked for me.
    10-08-16 12:54 AM
    You guys are all taking weird steps. Just run it in compatibility mode. Here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ams-compatible

Worked for me.
    I tried several different compatibility modes and none worked for me.
    10-08-16 12:06 PM
    I tried several different compatibility modes and none worked for me.
    Oddly enough, I selected Windows 7 compatibility mode on the installer, installed Link/Blend, then did the same after the program installed.

It worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-16 02:34 PM
    Oddly enough, I selected Windows 7 compatibility mode on the installer, installed Link/Blend, then did the same after the program installed.

It worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but I think is because you are doing a clean installation. If you have Link installed and do the windows update, then Link will not work in any of the compatibility options (win xp, 7, vista, 8, whatever).
    10-08-16 02:49 PM
    Yes, but I think is because you are doing a clean installation. If you have Link installed and do the windows update, then Link will not work in any of the compatibility options (win xp, 7, vista, 8, whatever).
    I installed after updating my machine to 1607. I didn't even have to do that on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, 1607.

Try using Revo uninstaller to uninstall Link and delete the registry settings and folders, then re-install again.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 09:32 AM
    I installed after updating my machine to 1607. I didn't even have to do that on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, 1607.

Try using Revo uninstaller to uninstall Link and delete the registry settings and folders, then re-install again.

Posted via CB10
    No need to use any uninstaller or registry cleaner. Just a plain re installation.

I was saying compatibility mode worked for you because you installed Link AFTER the windows update.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 10:21 AM
    my fresh desktop installation with fresh install of iTunes and Link, has not given me any grief. No need to delete iTunes xml stuff, nothing, just works. Must be combination of windows patch and iTunes update to 12.5 that caused it.
    10-09-16 11:38 AM
    my fresh desktop installation with fresh install of iTunes and Link, has not given me any grief. No need to delete iTunes xml stuff, nothing, just works. Must be combination of windows patch and iTunes update to 12.5 that caused it.
    Good to know. But not everyone has the time or inclination to do a fresh windows installation and all the fun that goes along with it. Lol
    zocster and BB-JAM215 like this.
    10-09-16 11:43 AM
    This happened to me last week after Windows updated. So I uninstalled link and Blend and reinstalled them. At that time Link opened but didn't recognize my Z30. After reinstall it worked. I was able to use it to set up my new Classic.
    Today it broke again, this time I got the BlackBerry Link had stopped working error.
    I will try the above fixes, but this is giving me a headache!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>Lumia950> BBClassic
    10-10-16 08:38 PM
    This was just posted in the Blackberry Link has stopped working thread by John Clark:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12613197

?BlackBerry Link has stopped working? after updating to iTunes 12.5
    OVERVIEW
    After updating iTunes to version 12.5, BlackBerry Link fails to open with the error;
    BlackBerry Link has stopped working

WORKAROUND
    Rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file and relaunch BlackBerry Link

Please note: Completing the below steps may have adverse effects on the iTunes functionality. For further information, please contact Apple support.

To rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file;
    Turn on Show hidden files and folders
    Navigate to C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
    Rename the iTunesPrefs XML file file to iTunesPrefs.old
    ​Once completed, it would be recommended to turn off Show hidden files and folders.
    Thanks John Clark and BB-JAM215!!!
    I just renamed iTunes and BlackBerry Link turned on!! I haven't tried to do anything with it yet, nor have I tested iTunes, but just the fact that Link opened means I don't have to blame Windows or BlackBerry!! Just iTunes LOL!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>Lumia950> BBClassic
    10-10-16 08:55 PM
    UPDATE :
    After I changed the name of iTunes, as I said, Link opened up. But it did not find my iTunes music. So I changed it to Windows Media Player. Then it said it couldn't find my music because of an incompatibility with Garmin Express!!! Good grief!
    So I uninstalled Garmin Express. Still no music. So I restarted the computer...voila!!! Now Link works perfectly.
    I'm going to bed!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-16 11:02 PM
    So de-installed an then re-installed link on my windows 10 laptop....now it detected my Classic !! I could do a full backup.

Finally I can ditch my old desktop PC running XP!

CB10 on my Classic
    10-16-16 04:18 PM
    So de-installed an then re-installed link on my windows 10 laptop....now it detected my Classic !! I could do a full backup.

Finally I can ditch my old desktop PC running XP!

CB10 on my Classic
    You should have ditched XP in 2014, man.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-16 10:09 PM
    You should have ditched XP in 2014, man.

Posted via CB10
    I should ;-)

CB10 on my Classic
    10-17-16 02:04 PM
    For those, like me, who haven't been able to get this resolved. What are you using to back up your phone? Is there anything? I know about Ultimate Backup in BBW but it seems like the developer may have abandoned it. I'm just very weary of messing with iTunes since I do use it fairly consistently. Has anyone found any negative issues after renaming that iTunes file to get things working as BlackBerry suggests?
    11-23-16 11:02 PM
    Try "Sachesi". Just google it.
    11-24-16 04:24 AM
101 ... 2345