10-04-16 04:13 PM
35 12
tools
    Just a heads up for folks that want to run El Cap GM *and* continue to sync their BB10 devices: Link fails to connect as well as Blend. I managed to get it connected a few times but then syncing music fails at some point. And reconnect doesn't work until you reboot the Mac.

FWIW

Posted via CB10 from my PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    RickAce likes this.
    09-18-15 08:32 AM
    Works for me on the GM

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:09 AM
    Thats's odd. I reinstalled Blend and Link at got Link working exactly one time. Console is saying the host is down when Link is trying to connect.

Posted via CB10 with my awesome PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-18-15 01:51 PM
    Fixed the issue somehow. When I wiped the PP again and reinstalled it, it mentioned that it want to install the USB drivers. After that Blend and Link started to work a charm.

It seem that the glitch is in BB10 and obviously related to the inital configuration process.

FWIW

Posted via CB10 using a PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-19-15 07:13 AM
    Well, reinstalling desktop sw/wipe device, nothing helps.
    10-02-15 04:44 PM
    Having the same issue.

Deleted and reinstalled BB Link&Blend on my Mac OS El Capitan a few times and wiped & reinstalled OS on Passport.

Link worked, at first, when I selected 'connect via WiFi,' but after deselecting, Link stopped communicating with Passport via USB.
    Mac OS X, El Capitan GM - Link and Blend fail to connect-1.jpg

Blend does function properly.

Passport does indicate that it is connected remotely to my Mac and I am able to access all files, just not when connected via USB.
    Mac OS X, El Capitan GM - Link and Blend fail to connect-2.jpg
    10-10-15 10:14 AM
    Having the same issue.

Deleted and reinstalled BB Link&Blend on my Mac OS El Capitan a few times and wiped & reinstalled OS on Passport.

Link worked, at first, when I selected 'connect via WiFi,' but after deselecting, Link stopped communicating with Passport via USB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	375210

Blend does function properly.

Passport does indicate that it is connected remotely to my Mac and I am able to access all files, just not when connected via USB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	375208
    My experience exactly. There's another thread in CB about Sachesi and El Capitan, and also about Link. Seems to be the USB drivers in EC, or maybe the BlackBerry OS can add them in to EC, because there's a screen that appears briefly on my PP that says it can add drivers, but the screen always disappears before anything happens. I'm going to see if a Parallels OSX EC virtual machine will work, although with an earlier version of EC on a VM it didn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 10:23 AM
    OK--I created an El Capitan VM with Parallels de novo--I did not import anything from my regular EC installation. I put Sachesi and Link on the VM, and both work perfectly with my Passport. Go figure. This must be some sort of a clue as to what is going on. It at least means that it has nothing to do with the BlackBerry USB drivers in OS 10.

I'm tempted to do a clean installation of El Capitan on my HD, then bring over my user files and Apps from Time Machine or Migrate, but that is a lot of work, and I can use the VM for Link and Sachesi so long as it keeps working.
    Attached Thumbnails Mac OS X, El Capitan GM - Link and Blend fail to connect-link.jpg  
    10-10-15 12:19 PM
    Duplicate post from Sachesi thread:

This is a followup. I did a clean install of El Capitan on my HD, and both Sachesi and Link recognized the Passport. Then I restored just my user files and applications from Time Machine, and the USB recognition was broken again. I don't understand it, because the problem isn't with my User settings. I can create a new user, log into that, and it still doesn't work. And restoring User and Applications doesn't really mess with the OS, per se.

So, the answer is in this information, somehow, but I don't know how to find it, and will have to wait until BlackBerry figures out how to make Link work with El Capitan. That may not fix things with Sachesi, however.
    10-11-15 01:29 PM
    I had the exact same issue and tried a lot of the solutions proposed in this thread and in similar threads out there. Most solutions where:

A. Restore / Wipe / Reinstall your phone
    B. (For Windows) - Remove BB drivers from system
    C. Reinstall BB Link/Blend on your computer

As #A and #C didn't work for me, and #B wasn't an option, as I'm on a Mac, I've fought this issue for most of today. However, this is what worked for me:

1. Uninstall BB Link / Blend and Restart
    2. Manually delete all references to Blackberry in `/Library/Application Support/Blackberry` and `~/Library/Application Support/Blackberry Link`.
    3. Reinstall BB Link / Blend and Restart

The magical second step did the trick. After restarting my phone now connects to my computer (and BB Link).
    10-12-15 08:45 AM
    I had the exact same issue and tried a lot of the solutions proposed in this thread and in similar threads out there. Most solutions where:

A. Restore / Wipe / Reinstall your phone
    B. (For Windows) - Remove BB drivers from system
    C. Reinstall BB Link/Blend on your computer

As #A and #C didn't work for me, and #B wasn't an option, as I'm on a Mac, I've fought this issue for most of today. However, this is what worked for me:

1. Uninstall BB Link / Blend and Restart
    2. Manually delete all references to Blackberry in `/Library/Application Support/Blackberry` and `~/Library/Application Support/Blackberry Link`.
    3. Reinstall BB Link / Blend and Restart

The magical second step did the trick. After restarting my phone now connects to my computer (and BB Link).
    I'm glad that worked for you. I have done all that, and completely removed all BlackBerry references in all Library folders, both system and User, reinstalled just Link, etc., but cannot solve the Sachesi issue, or even connect via USB to Blend (the PP connects perfectly to Blend via WiFi).

I believe this to be a USB connection problem in /my/case, and nothing to do with the Passport or with Link or Blend. As I've said, with a clean, fresh install of El Capitan on either a freshly formatted HD or on a Parallels OS X El Capitan virtual machine, the USB connection works, along with Blend, Link and Sachesi. These systems have never seen any BlackBerry software. I've looked at System Preferences/Network, and when it's working, the BlackBerry is listed as connected and has its own IP address. But once I restore anything from previous installations, say, via Time Machine, it breaks, and looking under Network the BlackBerry is not connected. Also, my understanding is that Sachesi, version 2.02, does not depend upon or use BlackBerry drivers, per se.

Looking on the internet, there have been various problems reported with USB devices not connecting in El Capitan, even the late stable versions. I believe, based upon the troubleshooting I've done, that in my case it's a problem with EC and/or my MacBook, not with either Blend/Link or with the phone device itself.

Edit: this gets more bizarre with every step. I checked the loaded kext files (non-Apple) and saw that Parallels was loading a VPN Kext file or something to that effect. Nothing else showed up that seemed to be related. So I uninstalled Parallels, rebooted, and suddenly Sachesi was connecting. I then reinstalled Parallels, and it is still connecting. Also, under Network, the BlackBerry device now shows as connected with an IP address and everything. The problem is/was /apparently/ some sort of interference with the USB connection of the Passport from Parallels.

Meanwhile, I can now install and use Blend, but the Mac Link "failed to install" and won't install, even after removing everything related to BB in the libraries, etc., and trying several times, even using a new DL of the Blend/Link installer. But I do have Sachesi working again.

Edit 2 (also posted on other El Capitan/Link/Sachesi thread):
    I decided to start from scratch.

I combed through all the system and user Library sites, Application directories, preferences, launch demon directories, everything, including a Spotlite search for BlackBerry, which uncovered some BB files in "Lost and Found." I deleted /everything/, rebooted, and some of the BlackBerry stuff popped up again. So I looked in all these places again, found some lingering BB stuff, deleted it, emptied Trash, and rebooted. I even booted into Mac Safe Mode first, which is supposed to clean the system caches.

As mentioned above, I had uninstalled Parallels and reinstalled it earlier--that seemed to fix the Sachesi issue. But Sachesi is dependent only upon recognition of the BB Device USB, not anything in Link, so far as I know, and so far as Sacha says.

Then, on booting up again, Sachesi worked (both 2.02 and 2.03). I then installed Blend and Link, rebooted, and both worked first time.

Bottom line, this is the first time in months, since I started with the El Capitan beta previews, that I have had everything--Sachesi, Link, and Blend all working. Whether it will stay that way is another question.
    Last edited by KenV54; 10-12-15 at 04:39 PM. Reason: More information
    10-12-15 10:16 AM
    Could get my phone to connect but not actually update to Link. Whatever. Link is a poor substitute to the iPhone cloud back up method.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 10:52 AM
    Had to downgrade my laptop back to Yosemite and now Link is working. Sure we can blame Apple but the reality is that BlackBerry needs to use the cloud to back up their clients phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 04:16 PM
    In case people were still fighting this issue, a solution that worked for me was posted in the support forums: Re: USB connection with OS X El Capitan - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Copied and pasted here for convenience:

Smucko01 says:
    SOLUTION! Just got off the phone with Blackberry Support, spoke with an agent that was very knowledgeable and had the "unable to communicate with device" issue fixed within a few minutes. She sent me the steps.

*Mac OS 10.11
    *Error Message: Cannot communicate with connected device

1. Within the menu bar, select the Apple icon
    2. Select System Preferences
    3. Tap Networks
    4. Note the name of the BlackBerry interface listed
    5. Select the Plus sign to add a new interface
    6. Within the Interface drop down, select the other BlackBerry interface listed
    7. Select Create
    8. Select Apply
    9. Restart the computer (unplug usb cable when doing restart)

--

Note: I did not have to restart my computer
    11-08-15 10:21 PM
    If the above doesn't work, go to your /Library/Extensions directory under MacBook Pro or whatever your root directory is called, remove the kext file, BlackberryUSBCDCNCM.kext, reboot the computer, and you should be set. For this one you do have to restart the computer.

El Capitan has its own USBCDCNCM.kext, which Yosemite and previous OS versions did not have, and the BlackBerry version of this kext file doesn't work with El Capitan. Some day, if and when BlackBerry updates Blend/Link, maybe they'll have one version for EC without that kext file and one version for Yosemite and below that does have the kext file.

You'll be able to connect with Link and do backups. Sync will not work.
    lrkm and ashane0001 like this.
    11-08-15 10:50 PM

*Mac OS 10.11
    *Error Message: Cannot communicate with connected device

1. Within the menu bar, select the Apple icon
    2. Select System Preferences
    3. Tap Networks
    4. Note the name of the BlackBerry interface listed
    5. Select the Plus sign to add a new interface
    6. Within the Interface drop down, select the other BlackBerry interface listed
    7. Select Create
    8. Select Apply
    9. Restart the computer (unplug usb cable when doing restart)

--

Note: I did not have to restart my computer

Tried it with erasing registry under Windows and Library under Mac, it worked a few times then collapsed again. But with your solution it still looks stable
    11-16-15 09:26 AM
    Hi Kenv54. Thank you. Great tip for link and it works. OS Captain. Blend working and Link

There must be something to remove or add so link will work with transferring files which still does not work. Removing the BlackBerry USBCDC NCM. KEXT WORKS. Thanks. Come on BlackBerry let's get this fixed.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-15 06:20 AM
    [QUOTE=xtremesniper;12059930]In case people were still fighting this issue, a solution that worked for me was posted in the support forums: Re: USB connection with OS X El Capitan - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Smucko01 says:
    SOLUTION! Just got off the phone with Blackberry Support, spoke with an agent that was very knowledgeable and had the "unable to communicate with device" issue fixed within a few minutes. She sent me the steps.

(cut)

Hi, thanks for posting the info. Tried and worked immediately. Now BlackBerry link and blend finally worked. Could finally make a full backup after months without being able to do it due to unsuccessful connections.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    11-27-15 07:51 AM
    [QUOTE=jpoq;12111878]
    In case people were still fighting this issue, a solution that worked for me was posted in the support forums: Re: USB connection with OS X El Capitan - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Smucko01 says:

(cut)

Hi, thanks for posting the info. Tried and worked immediately. Now BlackBerry link and blend finally worked. Could finally make a full backup after months without being able to do it due to unsuccessful connections.
    Cheers

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    Yes, that may work. And if it doesn't you can then remove the kext file as described above in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 09:47 AM
    Hi,

I couldnt find that /Library/Extensions folder, please assist

Thank you
    12-03-15 08:54 AM
    Hi,

I couldnt find that /Library/Extensions folder, please assist

Thank you
    Are you looking under the root directory of your Mac? The directory is there for sure.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 09:28 AM
    I was looking it via go to folder ~/Library. I couldn't find I Extensions folder.

Was it hidden or something?
    12-03-15 07:10 PM
    I was looking it via go to folder ~/Library. I couldn't find I Extensions folder.

Was it hidden or something?
    Can't get to it that way. Go to Finder, locate MacBook Pro or whatever your computer's name is on the left hand side of Finder, look for the Library directory, and in that you'll find the Extensions directory. In there you'll find the kext file.

You may need help from Apple support if you still can't find it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KenV54; 12-03-15 at 10:00 PM.
    12-03-15 09:10 PM
    Hmm can you help with screenshot? I couldnt find extension folder
    12-04-15 07:46 PM
    Hmm can you help with screenshot? I couldnt find extension folder

Mac OS X, El Capitan GM - Link and Blend fail to connect-img_20151204_194948_edit.jpg

It's two directories below the highlighted one.

Remember, after you find the Extensions directory and delete that kext file, you then have to reboot your Mac. You may also have to go into Mac Preferences, Network settings, and using the + sign with the BlackBerry connected, add in one of the BlackBerry networks, usually #3 or #4. You'll see them in the list.

BlackBerry could have made this so easy once El Capitan came in, just by having two Mac versions of Link, one for Yosemite and below, and one for EC, with the EC version simply not including the kext file. But BlackBerry is no longer keeping up on the OS 10 side.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KenV54; 12-04-15 at 09:38 PM.
    JBoen likes this.
    12-04-15 07:52 PM
35 12