Z30 on O/S 10.3.2.2639, Link 1.2.3.48

I'm used to Link being slow...this is something new. Last time I connected and backed up my Z30 was about 3 weeks ago. When I connect it today, the home screen display shows my Z30 connected, but the progress indicator bar underneath is just black with constantly moving gray slashes. This goes on forever (I've been waiting at least 10 minutes.) Not syncing my pics/videos/etc.

Haven't changed anything on the phone or computer, other than installing Dropbox on the computer, and essential Windows security updates.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Richard
    01-26-16 01:52 PM
    Also just noticed it's not assigning drive letters to the device anymore, so I couldn't just simply go through Windows Explorer to copy the files I really needed. I had to go in and enable mass storage mode on the device so I could mount the SD card and copy a couple files. What in the world happened?

Richard
    01-26-16 02:13 PM
    I get the same problem when I used my XP laptop. On my Win 7 desktop, all is good.

Sometimes to get it to work on XP, I reboot the phone while plugged into the computer, reboot the computer, or plug the phone into a different USB port. Sometimes none of this will work so I just use the Win7 computer instead.
    01-26-16 02:44 PM
    It's been working for...more than 2 years? Since I got my Z10 shortly after launch. It's been working all this time, without having to jump through any hoops. Broken all of a sudden, no apparent reason. I tried updating Link, still no good.

Richard
    01-26-16 02:54 PM
    Any ideas?
    This might resolve your issue:
    Connect your phone to your computer's USB port.
    In Windows Device Manager, uninstall BlackBerry Device, then Scan for hardware changes.

Link 1.2.4.39 works OK with my Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2876.
    01-26-16 04:12 PM
    Thanks; tried but it didn't help.

Also thought I'd try with one of my old Z10's which has been security wiped and just sitting "stock" in my file cabinet. Hooked it up, Link connected to it, and same response. Also same as on my Z30 when I go to the Synced Media tab in Link, it just hangs forever on "Loading sync relationships" with the twirling circle, never actually gets anywhere. Again, essentially blank, stock device. No big collection of media for it to seek through.

Richard
    01-27-16 01:52 PM
    Also just noticed it's not assigning drive letters to the device anymore, so I couldn't just simply go through Windows Explorer to copy the files I really needed. I had to go in and enable mass storage mode on the device so I could mount the SD card and copy a couple files. What in the world happened?
    I get mapped drives named Flash and SD.
    These BlackBerry/RIM processes are running on my PC:
    BbDevMgr.exe
    PeerManager.exe
    RIMBBLaunchAgent.exe
    RIMDeviceManager.exe
    mDNSResponder.exe
    01-29-16 10:23 AM
    I've got all those running except for RIMDeviceManager, which of course loads when I connect the device (I don't have it set to run on startup.)

As a test I connected the Z30 to my Win7 laptop which previously had no Link install. Comes up and works fine. I don't know what broke Link and the BB device manager on my old desktop but I'm through battling with it...it's gonna get reformatted and upgraded soon.

Thanks for those who took time to consider this one, but I don't know how much more energy I'm going to put into solving it. I sure hope it wasn't Dropbox that broke it.

Richard
    01-31-16 09:12 AM