Hi guys,

I have a problem with my laptop at home running W8.1 Pro 64bit not recognising my Z10 when connected via USB. It doesn't recognise it as a USB storage device either and doesn't allow me to sync or backup via USB. I have tried my partners Z10 and it does the same i.e. nothing when plugged in. The BB Device Manager running in the taskbar (bottom right) doesn't recognise there is a device attached either. My phone is running a 10.3 beta and my partner's phone is running a legitimate 10.2 release.

My work PC which is also running 8.1 but Enterprise instead of Professional has no problems recognising my phone.

I have tried:

Reinstalling Link (1.2.3.56). Currently running 1.2.3.48 at work by the way...
    Checking Device manager for any exclamation marks (there were none)
    Manually tried checking for updated drivers by clicking on BlackBerry VPN and checking for updated drivers (none)
    Doing the same for RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4 and COM5)
    Uninstalling Link and installing old OS7 BlackBerry Desktop Manager software and trying to attach phones and PlayBook (still nothing happened)
    Reinstalling Link without removing OS7 Desktop Manager (still nothing happened)
    Trying different USB cables

I can't think of anything else to try. Link seems to give me no end of trouble. I had another look last night and I can't remember seeing the RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 entries in the Device Manager (but could be wrong). I think I deleted anything RIM related from devices in the hope that a fresh install would replace them.

Is there an easy way to compare the driver versions on my work PC and home PC? How can I install a RIM driver, device or BlackBerry Device Manager manually if it appears one is missing on my home PC and won't come back with a usual install?

Without a way to backup my phones I will have to buy an app to do any further device switches (I switch between a Z and Q and try betas) so I really need Link to work!

Can I dl an older version of Link to try it instead of the latest? I'm not sure if it's a W8.1 Pro problem or something that's gone haywire with my relatively new laptop (it's about 3 months old).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Scott
    07-15-14 11:27 PM
    Had the same issue.

I uninstalled BB Link and reinstalled it, it still didn't work.

So I uninstalled BB Link again, rebooted, went through the registry and manually deleted all entries related to BB and RIM. I also deleted all remaining folders in Windows Explorer.

It took quite a while to do it.

I then reinstalled BB Link and it's now working.
    07-15-14 11:45 PM
    Just to be sure, did you go to your device storage settings and change the option from " USB connection : Auto detect" to Connect to Windows.?
    07-15-14 11:56 PM
    Yep I've tried the auto and Windows settings. I've tried turning off mass storage, disabling wireless sych, turning off wi-fi and any other combination I could think of. Current settings work on work PC so I spose I'll have to delete everything I can find as per previous comment :s

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 04:21 AM
    Also check that the firewall on your PC is disabled.

If you do go with an app, go with the number one backup app on BlackBerry 10: Backup Pro. Your data is worth it.
    07-16-14 08:22 PM
    Hi FireChest, I've not got Windows firewall enabled and have disabled McAfee's firewall and resident protection. But i've had this since day one so not sure if McAfee is the problem. Will try the blitzkrieg approach and let y'all know what happens.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-14 02:43 AM
    Okay. So I tried the blitzkrieg. Uninstalled and cleaned up. Same problem. Phones not detected.

So I thought surely reverting the laptop back to OOB settings and starting from scratch would fix it right? Wrong. Started with a clean install of Windows and installed updates, chrome, Link... still nothing detects. Removed McAfee entirely and disabled Windows fw. Still nothing!

Other than a problem caused by a driver or Windows update I can't see my it doesn't work. Can I open a ticket with BlackBerry and if so, does anyone know how?

To refresh: Neither Z10 detects. A 10.2 legitimate release and a Z10.3 beta. Have tried both auto detect and Windows connection settings. I've tried USB mass storage mode. Neither detects. I've disabled and removed all firewalls and AVs. Completely reinstalled W8.1 professional 64bit.

Tried multiple cables. Everything else seems to work in the USB ports. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

Seriously, this is ********.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 10:49 AM
    Sent a few back and forth tweets to BlackBerry help. Directed them to this thread for more info. They send me a link to their knowledge base which when clicked says the page couldn't be found. Then they tell me to contact my carrier to have them engage BlackBerry technical support for me. Wtf. What is the point of that twitter handle if they can't actually provide any assistance?

I guess I'll try HP support and see if they have any ideas.

It really is no wonder BlackBerry has such a bad reputation when they can't even be bothered to support their own product.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 10:27 AM
    BlackBerry cannot support you on this because the majority don't have your problem. There are pc issues, software issues, version issues, your device issues, how you updated your os, what os versions, you have and also how you go about doing it.
    But first, does your pc recognises, your device?? Meaning does your pc advises you that a blackberry device is attempting to connect? Does it ask you to out the password in? This step must be successful for you to be in bblink. Fire up bblink then, and WAIT, bblink will ask you to connect. Try that. In that sequence. Post the results. Tks

Posted via Z10.
    08-08-14 10:28 PM
    It is working fine on 8.1x64 pro for me... (??)

Got the latest link version?

I'm running z10 with latest 10.2 official TMo build

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 11:37 PM
    @redchilli88 I have mentioned in detail all the things I've tried to resolve the issue. I work in IT and realise there are a myriad of things that could be the problem. Simply telling me to contact my carrier when they won't have any idea themselves is not support. Instead I have to jump through hoops with BlackBerry, HP and my carrier who will then act as a clueless middle man to pass on my notes to someone who may or may not help. HP got me to try some things which I did, like BIOS and chipset updates, which I already had and removal of link, root hub devices etc... none of which helped. They got me to run a diagnostic logging tool and I sent them the logs. Their response:

The issue seems to be with the drivers of the blackberry device .

The testing team was able to test the situation and issue was found with BB drivers on windows 8.1 platform . we would ideally request you to contact if the below steps do not work
    Their steps were the above which I'd already done but did again anyway.

So short of formatting my PC which I've essentially done with an HP restore which should result in a clean install of Windows anyway, I have nowhere else to go except Optus and I don't have high hopes that will help either.
    08-22-14 10:34 PM
    BlackBerry cannot support you on this because the majority don't have your problem. There are pc issues, software issues, version issues, your device issues, how you updated your os, what os versions, you have and also how you go about doing it.
    But first, does your pc recognises, your device?? Meaning does your pc advises you that a blackberry device is attempting to connect? Does it ask you to out the password in? This step must be successful for you to be in bblink. Fire up bblink then, and WAIT, bblink will ask you to connect. Try that. In that sequence. Post the results. Tks

Posted via Z10.
    I too have this problem as do many man others. saying that the majority doesn't have it so its kind of a non issue really grinds me. Ive had this issue since the 2nd official update for the z10's and I still have it today almost two years later. I have searched and searched and cannot get this to reslove. I just want to connect t load up Snap.
    12-05-14 10:18 AM
    Hi all.

I had the same problem on w8 pro, I did like step #2 , deleting everything and downloaded blend package from BlackBerry site, which includes link , blend and I think also the device manager (sorry I can't check exactly now).

I installed this package ( blend is not running, but installed on my laptop, also a new hp! ) and since this moment everything is running well. I don't know if blend maybe have different drivers or something related is different than downloading link last version

I'm on 10.3.1154 leak

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 10:27 AM