You know I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, but this link software is absolute SHAT, what garbage, I've used better software 20 years ago and more useful as well.

I've tried for two days now installing uninstalling cleaning up my system, booting and rebooting my phone

All I'm trying to do is back op my f+*/ing phone and this software isn't allowing me too, keeps saying I have a software update and failing on backup

SHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm totally frustrated with this junk, no wonder BlackBerry is suffering this is crap software, I know weekend programmers and have worked with them that can out out a better product than this piece of SHAT.

Is there nobody in BlackBerry that hives a f+*/?????

Come on I've wasted a weekend truing to backup nothing is working from the forums or BlackBerry support

Keep this up BlackBerry and I'm going to dump you

F%king CRAP

From the Zed of Rockivy
    08-11-13 12:20 PM
    I've only ever used it to reload the OS on my Z10 when it died on me once (would not turn on. Only the led would flash). But yes, I stay away from it as much as possible lol.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-11-13 12:31 PM
    If it's worth anything, all the other platforms suck as well. Best bet is using as much cloud services as possible.
    08-11-13 12:31 PM
    You know I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, but this link software is absolute SHAT, what garbage, I've used better software 20 years ago and more useful as well.

I've tried for two days now installing uninstalling cleaning up my system, booting and rebooting my phone

All I'm trying to do is back op my f+*/ing phone and this software isn't allowing me too, keeps saying I have a software update and failing on backup

SHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm totally frustrated with this junk, no wonder BlackBerry is suffering this is crap software, I know weekend programmers and have worked with them that can out out a better product than this piece of SHAT.

Come on I've wasted a weekend truing to backup nothing is working from the forums or BlackBerry support

F%king CRAP

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Rage much?
    As limited as Link is, everything you're trying to do is possible to do
    It's more of a user problem on your end it seems
    I'm sorry it's happening to you, but maybe you can list the problem so people can help you out?
    Maybe start by turning on airplane mode before you backup? Also, what OS are you on?
    08-11-13 12:34 PM
    @plazmicflame
    That is actually true. I thought it was just me but almost every single mobile recovery software on every single platform sucks. Should that part at least be bug free? But my Link experience has been fairly bug free minus remote files.

Guessing the devs that that software arn't getting enough money.

To OP, try restore little bits at a time. Like settings first then after it's done, do app data and such.
    noni68 likes this.
    08-11-13 12:38 PM
    I do not seem to have your issues with link, you say it is failing in backup, do you have connectivity issues between the phone and computer?

Posted with ma delicious Z10 or ma yummy Q10
    08-11-13 12:40 PM

SHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F%king CRAP

From the Zed of Rockivy
    As @plazmicflame has already suggested, try restoring Application Data, Media, and Settings separately. I've had a similar experience and found there was a corrupted photo file in my Media. That was enough to stop the entire restore.

Oh, and do your back-up/restore in airplane mode. An active WiFi connection can cause connectivity problems between your devices.
    08-11-13 01:00 PM
    Yes, it is overall poor quality software, I was expecting a significant improvement from BB Desktop for OS7 but sadly BlackBerry missed on that opportunity too. My Link continues to say a software update is available despite the fact that it is updated to the latest version. I use it to copy/sync music files and primarily for the remote file access, which is one of the best features in OS10 imo. It has come in handy several times now when I have needed a file or to view them again while at the office.
    08-11-13 01:53 PM
    And was I the only one that thought the OP mean Link as in Zelda? Lol. Yes? *flies away *

08-11-13 02:55 PM
    I only use Link to backup or restore data and settings, or to update the OS. That's it. I don't trust it to do anything else. I keep my media on the card and back that up separately to my desktop using a usb connection and copy and paste. I put my contacts and calendar in outlook.com and sync OTA so I wouldn't have to use Link to sync those applications.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 04:48 PM
    Hello,

First time poster, long time browser currently living in the United States using STL-4 Blackberry Z10 10.1.0.2039.

I'd hate to be the guy that only posts when he has a problem, but BB link is literally driving me to the edge. I absolutely love my Z10 and constantly browse Crackberry forums for how to make my device even more loveable. The news of the 10.2 release and it's features pushed me into installing a leak in order to bypass the slow upgrade cycle here in the US. Anyway, my main problem with doing so is backing up my data with Link! my device connects fine and it appears in link, however every time I go to backup, the process simply stops at 31% because the yellow exclamation mark says there may be connection problems between my device and the computer. I really need a solution to this as I get very frustrated waiting for a backup that never comes.

Can I just backup my application data and settings and skip the media backup? Is there third party software that'll do the job better? Do any of you have amy solutions that would ease this frustration?

Please, I'm really eager to update and fear that may never happen.

Signed,
    Frustrated Link Enemy
    08-11-13 05:20 PM
    And was I the only one that thought the OP mean Link as in Zelda? Lol. Yes? *flies away *

BlackBerry Link is not so cool! It remains my biggest frustration with the BlackBerry Z10. The random reboots were fixed (quickly). My battery life got batter. My camera got better. My OS got faster. Apps I wanted started to appear.

But Link? It still routinely fails at syncing music (twice filling up my phone to the brim by duplicating songs and triplicating songs), still sucks at staying connected, still fails to sync my contacts, still crashes all the time and still randomly decides not to connect to my device.
    08-11-13 05:27 PM
    I agree, Link is nothing compared to the old BlackBerry Desktop Manager. I hope BlackBerry updates it and adds features, fixes glitches, and whatnot.
    08-11-13 06:04 PM
    If it's worth anything, all the other platforms suck as well. Best bet is using as much cloud services as possible.
    To be fair to apple, itunes isn't that bad. It works well in backing up as you would expect. When updates are available, it downloads them and installs them hassle free. Link is pretty dire - it needs some TLC!

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 06:23 PM
    To the op: yes I totally agree!

I managed to get it to function many times, but it always takes was away too much work and patience.

To those that say to turn off WiFi and mobile networks.... this should either be resolved by BlackBerry by using proper routing, or by having Link trigger these to be off on the device and restored after backup/update. Doesn't take a genius to fuger that out.

Link SUxxx!!

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    08-11-13 07:55 PM
    To the op: yes I totally agree!

I managed to get it to function many times, but it always takes was away too much work and patience.

To those that say to turn off WiFi and mobile networks.... this should either be resolved by BlackBerry by using proper routing, or by having Link trigger these to be off on the device and restored after backup/update. Doesn't take a genius to fuger that out.

Link SUxxx!!

EDIT: and it is a LOT better than it was at release in Feb! Which doesn't say much for it then!!!!!

08-11-13 07:56 PM
    Well folks...

We have a resolution, and to the posters who said user error, I'm pretty damn good at trouble shooting and without getting into the grubby details, I went to the level of removing one app at a time and trying, as I said I tried multiple hard reboots, uninstalling and reinstalling link multiple versions of it. Turning off wifi, airplane mode, and on and on,

So what you ask got it to work? Well it froze for an hour with the Zed connected to the PC, link was locked ip and couldn't close so I fired ip task manager and killed link, and what did I notice my phone saying don't unplug me I'm backing up!!!!

WTF, but the link process was killed by me and it's now running the backup??

I rebooted my phone restarted my PC and link and my update worked!!

Hello Corn Flakes, what a pile of.....

I'll stop so I don't get accused of being angry, but you waste a whole weekend trying step by step to figure this out and you'd be pissed too brothers and sisters of CB nation when the solution was to crash the task while trying to backup!!!

That's not what I call a feature c'mon BlackBerry !!!! Pick up the pace jeebuz!!

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Last edited by rockivy; 08-12-13 at 01:52 AM.
    08-11-13 11:31 PM
    my Z10 says there is an OS update available... 10.1.0.4181 of 167MB. when i use link, it does not give me an option to update the OS... i go to blackberry website and try the Update on the web... it tells me there are no updates available... i don't want to update OTA...
    another strange thing is that when i back up my device... it does back-up and creates a file of around 1.2 GB but on the device the process goes only to 31% and then link says back-up complete and the device which is showing me 31% complete... simply stops. it should go to 100% and then stop. so are the back-ups being made full back-ups or would something be missing.
    RFA works... but only when i am connected to the same wifi network...
    yes, link needs to improve a lot!!!
    08-15-13 05:05 AM
    The fact that we need a Desktop Program to backup our devices is so.... not a mobile computing solution.

Each BlackBerry ID ought to come with a "Cloud" service that will do syncing and backup of devices - limit it to 10GB or 20GB with additional storage at rate comparable to other Cloud Services. Allow users to upload content via the cloud or directly to the devices via mass storage or if needed a small program that would sync with iTunes or Windows Media Player.

The whole accessing of my computer remotely has been a little iffy in the beginning, and I quite even trying to use it. Might just be the whole download/upload speeds are not good enough....

That said, I haven't had problems with the newest version of LINK . Only that with 10.2.0.1047 I can no longer sync wirelessly without first turning off the mobile network... just like when I first got my Z10. Hopefully the next leak will bring that functionality back to my STL-4, but that is a Z10 problem, not a LINK problem.
    08-15-13 01:58 PM
    Also from here mot happy with link. Canot secure my "Zed ten": at roughly 50% it breaks... I found out that he doesn't want to secure my applications data (1.5 Gb)...
    I understand all off you with your frustration .

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 02:52 PM
    I love my z10, but I'm another unhappy Link user. I use Link to backup my z10 and sync with my Outlook calendar. Even with the correct settings, Link wants to delete old calendar entries on the device. And it indicates there is a software update, after an update. Disappointing program. I miss the Destop Manager.
    08-17-13 11:55 AM
    I have to agree...BB Link uses 1GB of memory (insane) and creates a 400MB backup file (...) and the most unfortunate point is: The original desktop manager (DTM) was good. Stable, fast and efficient. Never break a winning team...so please make Q10 working with the old DTM.
    08-18-13 07:28 AM
    "The original desktop manager (DTM) was good. Stable, fast and efficient. Never break a winning team...so please make Q10 working with the old DTM. "

Make it work for the z10, too!
    08-18-13 01:43 PM
    The blackberry link is a piece of cr-ap.
    It is amazing that this dog food was released....and each new update solves zilch.
    08-25-13 01:19 PM