09-18-13 07:55 PM
42 12
tools
    Have I mentioned how much I hate BlackBerry Link? As I write this, my Mac and Link have been trying to connect to my Z10 for 10 minutes. Earlier, as I was getting ready to go to the gym, it failed to sync my music and my videos. It never quite syncs my contacts right.

I'm pretty patient and I recognize that all products can have issues. But for the love of god, FIX BlackBerry Link, please. Can't believe this garbage ever got out.

At least I take comfort in knowing that the CrackBerry survey said it was the most hated thing about BlackBerry 10 and that Thorsten was given a copy. Hopefully he heaped some crap on the team behind it.
    07-17-13 09:13 PM
    Couldn't they just contract that out? How many Mac developers do they really have up there? That seems sometime that you would naturally just contract out to some shop that specializes in OS X development.
    bbfan1040 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    07-17-13 09:23 PM
    The BBRY lead for calendar/contacts (Gingras) recently left the company. There is no public news if this in due part to BB Link sync issues, but parting reported as amicable.

BB Link is an embarrassment to BBRY. TH and Board of Directors just didn't get it because they are not rank and file customers, it's because they had tech people set up whatever BB10 devices they are using (if they are even using them al all). BB Link is the kind of garbage software that would be released in the 1990s with incomplete feature sets.

BBRY should spend the next month doing nothing but making calendar and contact sync PERFECT. Either the company was stupid for picking QNX as the BB10OS if is that much of a pain to work with, or the development team should be replaced. That TH should go does not even need to be mentioned...asleep at the wheel as frustrated user after user piled complaints in the BBRY support forums which apparently BBRY was too busy to pay attention to. They they could n't understand why so few want to buy their "new" OS and phones.

How ironic that the company that defined corporate communication for years can't even keep track of your contacts any more.

For all those who "don't have problems" with contact/calendar sync, you may fell as if you're on a lifeboat while the Titanic is sinking. Sorry to inform you that if this ship goes down, you're going with it. So even those who don't have problems better sit up and take notice.
    Eir likes this.
    07-17-13 10:20 PM
    Link is the biggest POS BB has ever produced. They hopefully have fired every person that ever wrote a line of code for it.
    anon(5624621) and sclift like this.
    07-17-13 10:24 PM
    Link is the biggest POS BB has ever produced. They hopefully have fired every person that ever wrote a line of code for it.
    Agree. Although it might have improved and I wouldn't know...I'm two or three versions behind on link because any new version screws up the drivers and completely severs my pc to z10 connection.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 10:40 PM
    Each iteration of BlackBerry's desktop software seems to just get worse. And it was never good on Mac to begin with smh

Posted via CB10
    93Aero likes this.
    07-17-13 10:44 PM
    Gotta agree. I have barely used it. Just the layout alone is bad much less how it works.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-17-13 11:20 PM
    Gotta agree. I have barely used it. Just the layout alone is bad much less how it works.
    It's the little things it doesn't do right ...
    - like sync without crashing
    - Like maintaining a USB connection instead of requiring you to close it and open it
    - Like sync music and videos when you ask it to.
    - Like remove music and videos when you ask it to.
    - Like sync contacts effectively between device and computer.
    - Like maintain wifi sharing.
    - Like show my album art in any kind of consistent fashion. Sometimes you see the album art. Sometimes you don't. More often than not, you don't, but the same song will sometimes display and sometimes not.

I truly cannot believe this ever got out the door. The random reboot was a pain, but that was quickly fixed for me at least. This is atrocious. I have a device I want to use for media and it doesn't properly work ... almost every time I use it.
    07-18-13 06:15 AM
    Geez, I had no idea. BB Desktop was never perfect, but it basically worked.

If Link is such a POS, then is syncing via the cloud the only workable option?
    07-18-13 01:28 PM
    For my contacts, that was the only way I could get it to work. Still sucks arse when it comes to music syncing.
    07-18-13 02:12 PM
    Geez, I had no idea. BB Desktop was never perfect, but it basically worked.

It depends what you are syncing. I've found media sync to work great, when it works...

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 06:25 PM
    I personally have BlackBerry Link working perfectly on my Windows Desktop...

And working perfectly it's still a pretty awful program... I like the Remote Access feature, and obviously Backup. But beyond that, no. I don't use it to sync, I just manually transfer files through Windows Explorer to my microSD card.

It's funny, I love the BB10 OS and see the potential going forward. But they dropped the ball on BB Link, no doubt.
    07-18-13 06:39 PM
    I avoid it. The program really does suck

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 01:12 PM
    I agree that it sucks in the syncing department.

I never even use it to transfer files. It has a built-in "reload OS" feature, so that's something

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-21-13 09:24 PM
    I stated elsewhere probably in this thread that I don't use link to to sync media. I have all my music in folders with play lists and I use the drag and drop extensively. To me I can't understand why anyone would use an application to do what would take less than 5 minutes to do manually.

That's just me though.

And now that sacha can now backup and restore there is even less need for link to be used.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.483, pin:2AC9A2F5
    07-21-13 09:54 PM
    Works good for me

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 11:59 PM
    I think I have finally gotten Sync working properly, but I'm not sure.

I just had to wait while it kept becoming unresponsive/responsive/unresponsive/unresponsive. Finally it backed up my Z10, the Cal/contacts sync worked and amazingly I'm now able to use the remote file access.

I agree in general it's a frustrating, fiddly application to use.
    07-27-13 12:26 PM
    Hey, When I open BB Link it shows up all the pics, videos docs. is there anyway we cannot show it when we start BB Link every time?

Its very embarrassing ..... kindly help & guide.
    08-02-13 07:36 AM
    I agree in general it's a frustrating, fiddly application to use.
    Fiddly is a really good word for it! Even after MR1, I find I have to stop it and start it a bunch, sometimes multiple times to get it to find my phone at all and take me to the password access.

The OS team at BlackBerry is releasing plenty of updates (I've had three or four in the three months I've had the phone) but hardly ever see any for Link on a Mac. And it's such a critical part of the experience especially for a non-technical user. You expect to easily be able to connect your device, maintain a connection while plugged in and sync correctly. It doesn't do that today on a consistent basis.

I have issues with iTunes too, but iTunes does a much better job on those basic things than Link. Even that simple "sync" button on itunes goes a long way.
    08-02-13 10:19 AM
    I have never used a program that is so infuriating. Using BlackBerry Link makes me want to kill myself. Things I would rather do than use Link include falling down a flight of stairs, being set on fire, or wrestling a bear wearing bacon.

Posted via CB10
    mousky and SpirytSista like this.
    08-04-13 08:46 AM
    I recently discovered that Link decided to copy my entire library over two or three times. And then devices to copy the files it had appended "1" and "2" back to my computer into iTunes.

How did this atrocious piece of garbage get out without being able to actually ... sync?
    08-04-13 09:06 AM
    Nothing to say about BlackBerry 10 I just love using my q10 and forgot in less than a week my 6 years iphone habit. But guys! BlackBerry Link must be the most shameful software I ever used! Please BlackBerry fix it! It's a flashy black mark on your fantastic OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 05:59 PM
    kevin should email this thread to Thor and comp We have people wanting to kill themselves link is so awful!
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    08-04-13 06:23 PM
    Same problem, no solution. Win7-64bit here, had the .26 version installed but it started to act up so tried reinstalling it, then the .32 update. Same "rolling back" crap noted by others (with zero information about what caused the failure), now I have no BB Link at all to sync, backup or maintain my Z10! Have tried every suggestion I've found: clean registry, uninstall everything, turn off antivirus, turn off firewall - none of these helped at all.

Have "run as administrator" during install, have run in WinXP SP3 Compatibility mode too; BB Link just will NOT install, and it's really starting to pss me off. This utility really is poorly-coded junk.

Naturally, the BlackBerry support site is mum on the subject. Have tried sending a support DM Tweet (how lame; not even regular email support) - has anyone received help from that source?

I like the Z10 but if BB Link doesn't get fixed soon I'm going to dump it; can't run a naked phone without backups, can't sync my contacts/calendar and I've wasted hours trying to install Link.

Grrrrrr!
    08-05-13 01:16 AM
    kevin should email this thread to Thor and comp We have people wanting to kill themselves link is so awful!
    The survey was the real thing that drove the point home for me. Link was dead last in the list!

Check it out, around 54 minutes in!
    08-05-13 07:54 AM
42 12