tunmgr.exe, which is a process associated with BlackBerry Link, is inexplicably using relatively large amounts of my Internet bandwidth. My Netgear Genie software for my wireless router tells me how much download/upload bandwidth is being used by different processes. Tunmgr.exe will quite often use 500-600MB of combined bandwidth (150MB upload, 350MB download) in a matter of hours before I kill the process. Why would this process need to be uploading and downloading data through my Internet connection? Does Blackberry Link back up files on some cloud service that I'm not aware of? I am running Windows 8 on a Samsung Series 5. My ISP is Rogers (Canada).
    10-21-13 06:19 PM
    !! Note - I can't post links yet so....sorry for being a bit messy !!

Don't suppose the usage is coming from a wireless media sync?

In case this is new (to this year old post - but to any others out there)
    BB10 devices can sync with your computer if:

1) They are on the same WiFi
    2) Your BB is plugged in (into anything that gives it electricity)
    Note - it's called wireless sync - even though the BB has to be connected to electricty via a wire because it prevents the BB from draining your battery when you're not expecting it.
    Example
    - you drive home for - whatever
    - your time is short
    - BB's power is low (or high but you won't be able to charge if for a while - etc...)
    - BB begins sync'ing 6 gig's worth of video's you took with that person doing that thing while you were at that place
    - You hop back in the car after 14 minutes and drive off
    - You curse phone because it -mysteriously- has less power than you expected and now certain the BB is a battery killing, unrelayable, piece of dung.

Instead - plug BB into wall jack in bedroom. BB has electricity. Assumes you're going to be there for a while. Begins wireless 6 gig sync with ...laptop (which is on & responsive) out in the living room.

Option B - You using Windows 8 bro?
    If so - most 'ghost in the machine' problems you have a hard time resolving come down to your account not having enough rights to install the program in question
    Yes I know your account is an admin account - that sometimes win(loser)8 doesn't feel that's good enough.

- Uninstall Link
    - Activate the net admin account as shown here:
    dubdubdub ghacks.net/2012/06/11/windows-8-enable-the-hidden-administrator-account/

- Download/install link again:
    dubdubdub blackberry.com/download

Disable admin account (as outlined in 1'st original link above).
    - See if you have any further problems?
    - expectations are no - unless it is legit traffic in which case - it's legit traffic! check your settings etc.
    - naturally could be a win8 prob...but reinstalling via netadmin account should adderss most of those types of issues...
    if not - check event viewer for direction.
    Your phone wouldn't happen to be performing a backup remotely would it....?
    10-21-13 06:42 PM
    No, I have yet to successfully back up my Q10 (another issue for another day), but even if it was, it should only be backing up to my laptop. Unless there's some massive OS update, I don't understand why Blackberry Link (and its related processes) should be using Internet usage to that extent. Or at all, frankly.
    10-21-13 07:36 PM
    Happened again today. In the past few hours, tunmgr.exe has consumed 600MB of Internet bandwidth (150 upload, 450 download) for no apparent reason. Basically I have to shut down all Blackberry Link-related services every time I reboot my machine.
    10-25-13 11:17 AM
    !! Note - I can't post links yet so....sorry for being a bit messy !!

Don't suppose the usage is coming from a wireless media sync?

In case this is new (to this year old post - but to any others out there)
    BB10 devices can sync with your computer if:

1) They are on the same WiFi
    2) Your BB is plugged in (into anything that gives it electricity)
    Note - it's called wireless sync - even though the BB has to be connected to electricty via a wire because it prevents the BB from draining your battery when you're not expecting it.
    Example
    - you drive home for - whatever
    - your time is short
    - BB's power is low (or high but you won't be able to charge if for a while - etc...)
    - BB begins sync'ing 6 gig's worth of video's you took with that person doing that thing while you were at that place
    - You hop back in the car after 14 minutes and drive off
    - You curse phone because it -mysteriously- has less power than you expected and now certain the BB is a battery killing, unrelayable, piece of dung.

Instead - plug BB into wall jack in bedroom. BB has electricity. Assumes you're going to be there for a while. Begins wireless 6 gig sync with ...laptop (which is on & responsive) out in the living room.

Option B - You using Windows 8 bro?
    If so - most 'ghost in the machine' problems you have a hard time resolving come down to your account not having enough rights to install the program in question
    Yes I know your account is an admin account - that sometimes win(loser)8 doesn't feel that's good enough.

- Uninstall Link
    - Activate the net admin account as shown here:
    dubdubdub ghacks.net/2012/06/11/windows-8-enable-the-hidden-administrator-account/

- Download/install link again:
    dubdubdub blackberry.com/download

Disable admin account (as outlined in 1'st original link above).
    - See if you have any further problems?
    - expectations are no - unless it is legit traffic in which case - it's legit traffic! check your settings etc.
    - naturally could be a win8 prob...but reinstalling via netadmin account should adderss most of those types of issues...
    if not - check event viewer for direction.
    09-10-14 08:47 AM