Microsoft Surface 4 unable to sync with Passport using BB Link. So cant move contacts or back up the phones data. In OS7 Blackberry Protect did an auto backup and saved it for me but OS10 requires a physical connection which I just cant get to function. Any ideas?
    03-23-16 11:22 AM
    Microsoft Surface 4 unable to sync with Passport using BB Link. So cant move contacts or back up the phones data. In OS7 Blackberry Protect did an auto backup and saved it for me but OS10 requires a physical connection which I just cant get to function. Any ideas?
    Delete the current drivers and reinstall the latest BlackBerry Link software... I'd try that first.

There are some good third party apps that allow you to backup the data on the phone though. Ultimate Backup by Runisoft and Backup Pro by Fire Chest Apps have proven reliable for me. Contacts, SMS/MMS, photos, PIN messages, Calendar, etc... all safely backed up to SD card or popular cloud service of choice.
    03-23-16 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the direction. Tried just now and same result: "Sync Unsuccessful." Will those 3rd's you mentioned backup the password vault too? Passport=awesome, BB10=appears awesome-half of the good stuff doesn't work. (no facebook, no pandora) Probably a conspiracy because if it did work then everyone would use it.
    03-23-16 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the direction. Tried just now and same result: "Sync Unsuccessful." Will those 3rd's you mentioned backup the password vault too? Passport=awesome, BB10=appears awesome-half of the good stuff doesn't work. (no facebook, no pandora) Probably a conspiracy because if it did work then everyone would use it.
    After you reinstalled did you restart the Surface 4? You can also try the trick others have used on the SP3 and disable "connected standby" on your Surface.

Password Keeper or Password Vault? There are many apps of similar name just want to ensure we are discussing the same one. I know with Password Keeper you can export the info to a file for backup within the app itself. None of the 3rd party backup apps I'm aware of will backup the password keeper app directly. Link will, of you can get it functioning or, as I've mentioned, export the data independently.
    03-23-16 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the advice...but talking over my head. The password keeper/vault I am referring too came with the passport. I think its called Password Keeper. If I went to RIM and Microsoft HQ and took the batteries out of every employee car and left them no more than 10 feet away every time the cars were parked there then perhaps they'd feel like I do. Yes, you can get the car to work if you're mechanically inclined...but you shouldn't have to go to the time and trouble to do that every single time in this day and age, they should just work when you need them as should this technology. Horses worked whenever they were jumped on... perhaps its time to buy some candles, a pencil and paper and going off the grid....i digress.
    03-23-16 01:32 PM

Well, with Password Keeper - even without Link you can backup your passwords a couple different ways:
    1: Turn on Cloud synchronization: the passwords are associated with your BBID and stored on BB servers.
    Open Password Keeper. Access settings (finger swipe down from the top and tap settings)... enable cloud synchronization.

Or you can export your passwords to a file and store where you'd like: in the password keeper settings find export passwords, tap and follow the prompts.

Try this one more time: uninstall all the BlackBerry software and drivers from your Surface. Reboot the Surface and then connect your device via USB. Then reinstall the drivers, Link, and Blend.

Your Surface is recognizing the device though, correct?
    03-23-16 02:39 PM
    This thread talks about the setting change that worked for others on SP3. That about all I have left to offer lol Hope you can get it straightened out.
    03-23-16 02:44 PM
    Hey, I appreciate it very much. Thank you.
    semime likes this.
    03-23-16 02:45 PM