Blackberry Link won't open on my computer (Windows 10, 64-bit). When I click to open, I get a dialog box saying "BlackBerry Link as stopped working." It has opened before on this computer. The computer is fully up-to-date and has lots of memory. I uninstalled Blackberry Link and reinstalled it and the same thing happens. What can I do or where can I go for help?

UPDATE: So I saw somewhere that the iTunesPrefs.xml file can cause this problem (BlackBerry Link has stopped working after updating to iTunes 12.5). Sure enough. I searched and renamed the file temporarily and this allowed Blackberry Link to open. I synced and did a back-up then reverted the file name back to iTunesPrefs.xml. If only Blackberry cared enough about its consumer base to update Blackberry Link. If only.

Blackberry Link has always been glitchy and problematic on my computers. The software prior to Blackberry Link always worked like a charm. I miss those days.
    Last edited by rdlg363; 11-13-16 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Update.
    11-12-16 02:04 PM
    There's a thread somewhere saying Link and Windows 10 have compatibility issues. So that might be the root of your problems. Search around the forums
    11-13-16 11:23 AM
    That's a fear of mine, I have link and Blend working on my laptops with Windows 10 and have turned off auto updates on Windows 10 so I don't run into the compatibility issues.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 1607.

 BlackBerry Passport SQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    11-13-16 12:34 PM
    Can you tell me how to "rename" the itunesprefs.xml file "temporarily"? When I try to Save As, I only have the option of saving as an XML file. Thanks!
    11-14-16 12:16 AM
    Can you tell me how to "rename" the itunesprefs.xml file "temporarily"? When I try to Save As, I only have the option of saving as an XML file. Thanks!
    You might need file extensions visible: do the same thing as in the show hidden files link (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...w-hidden-files), but make sure to uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" box.
    11-14-16 01:00 AM
    I searched "iTunesPerfs." I happened to have found two so I right clicked to rename each. I kept the name the same but just added a character to the end. You could rename it "iTunesPrefs1", for example. Then I was able to open Blackberry Link. I synced my phone, backed it up than closed BlackBerry Link. Then I change the files names back to "iTunesPrefs". I hope that makes sense and helps.

Help! Cannot open Blackberry Link - "Stopped Working" message.-change-name-open-blackberry-link-thn-change-back.jpg
    Last edited by rdlg363; 11-19-16 at 03:46 PM.
    11-19-16 02:44 PM
    “BlackBerry Link has stopped working” after updating to iTunes 12.5
    Options
    ‎10-04-2016 09:37 AM

38592 “BlackBerry Link has stopped working” after updating to iTunes 12.5

ENVIRONMENT
    Windows
    iTunes 12.5

ISSUE TRACKING
    JI 1611672

OVERVIEW

After updating iTunes to version 12.5, BlackBerry Link fails to open with the error; BlackBerry Link has stopped working

WORKAROUND

Rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file and relaunch BlackBerry Link

Please note: Completing the below steps may have adverse effects on the iTunes functionality. For further information, please contact Apple support.

To rename the iTunesPrefs.xml file;
    Trn on Show hidden files and folders
    Navigate to C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\
    Rename the iTunesPrefs XML file file to iTunesPrefs.old
    Once completed, it would be recommended to turn off Show hidden files and folders.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please note: Once the workaround has been completed, iTunes sync will not be available within BlackBerry Link.
    11-25-16 01:34 PM
    I searched "iTunesPerfs." I happened to have found two so I right clicked to rename each. I kept the name the same but just added a character to the end. You could rename it "iTunesPrefs1", for example. Then I was able to open Blackberry Link. I synced my phone, backed it up than closed BlackBerry Link. Then I change the files names back to "iTunesPrefs". I hope that makes sense and helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	change name to open Blackberry Link thn change back.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	412558
    Excellent!! And what if I just delete the ITunes app from my laptop BlackBerry Link wil work again? I don't need. ITunes anymore. This will fix the problem too?
    11-29-16 09:04 PM
    Well, I follow the instructions and renamed iTunesPrefs and "bingo" BlackBerry Link comes alive again! Not even a boot was needed. Thank you very much you all!!!
    11-30-16 07:54 AM
    i face the same issue , however, blend is working perfectly.
    12-18-16 05:17 AM
    Well, I follow the instructions and renamed iTunesPrefs and "bingo" BlackBerry Link comes alive again! Not even a boot was needed. Thank you very much you all!!!
    01-10-17 09:02 PM
    Well, the problem is back! BlackBerry Link stop again! I starts, reconizes my Passport, PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163, and estimates my storage consumming do all the thinsgs, except backups. Dose anybody had this issue?
    01-10-17 09:06 PM