I wanted to install 10.1 the morning it came out. Being responsible, I backed up my phone (which I do once a month) then installed the update.

To my disappointment, it was full of bugs. Yes, this was the OFFICIAL version - I've never downloaded something that didn't come from my provider. My keyboard stopped working, so I couldn't even post on CB looking for help.

"That's ok" I thought, "at least I did my backup!". Wrong. I could not get off 10.1. And on top of that, the previous three backups that I'd made caused the same problem when I reloaded them. Called tech support at Rogers and at BlackBerry, they had no idea what was going on. Had a replacement Z10 sent to me, and the same thing was going on.

Long story short, it turns out my last four backup files were corrupt! I used BlackBerry Link each time, and did it according to manufacturers specifications. Doesn't matter, the files were corrupt and unusable with 10.1. I ended up having to use a back up file from March, which worked. I saved most of my files, but anything that was added after March was toast.

Moral of the story, do LOTS of backups. I'm going to start doing them weekly, because you never know when one will be corrupt. BlackBerry Link needs a lot of work.

Just a heads up, hope this helps if anyone is having a similar problem and can't type anything to ask questions...

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    05-19-13 09:58 AM
    I wanted to install 10.1 the morning it came out. Being responsible, I backed up my phone (which I do once a month) then installed the update.

To my disappointment, it was full of bugs. Yes, this was the OFFICIAL version - I've never downloaded something that didn't come from my provider. My keyboard stopped working, so I couldn't even post on CB looking for help.

"That's ok" I thought, "at least I did my backup!". Wrong. I could not get off 10.1. And on top of that, the previous three backups that I'd made caused the same problem when I reloaded them. Called tech support at Rogers and at BlackBerry, they had no idea what was going on. Had a replacement Z10 sent to me, and the same thing was going on.

Long story short, it turns out my last four backup files were corrupt! I used BlackBerry Link each time, and did it according to manufacturers specifications. Doesn't matter, the files were corrupt and unusable with 10.1. I ended up having to use a back up file from March, which worked. I saved most of my files, but anything that was added after March was toast.

Moral of the story, do LOTS of backups. I'm going to start doing them weekly, because you never know when one will be corrupt. BlackBerry Link needs a lot of work.

Just a heads up, hope this helps if anyone is having a similar problem and can't type anything to ask questions...

Posted via CB10
    I've heard several problems related to Link, but first I've read this one. Glad to hear you were diligent about backups, and you had one that would work. Dunno how many times members here have not backed their data up and lost it forever. Thanks for sharing your experience and posting a warning for others.
    05-26-13 10:05 PM