05-28-14 02:44 PM
44 12
tools
    when I save the contact I choose to save on gmail there is option to select store on local or gmail I choose gmail
    That's exactly what I do as well, I just save to Gmail. I no longer have issues with contacts getting messed up anymore. If people do this they will never have issues. Never store it locally to the phone, BB10 seems to have problems with keeping the contacts in order. It can become chaotic.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 07:51 AM
    Omnitech, it's there. You do have to poke around a bit.

Attachment 271889
    Attachment 271890

Wowie Zowie, that wasn't there when I did a backup less than 24 hours ago, and I did look.

AHA - it's a 10.3-specific feature. Below is what it looks like when connected to a device running 10.2.1.2228:

Blackberry Link Updated to 1.2.3.48 (161Mb)-bb-link_v1-2-3-48_backup-options_os-10-2-1-2228.png

And below is what it looks like when connected to a device running 10.3.0.296:

Blackberry Link Updated to 1.2.3.48 (161Mb)-bb-link_v1-2-3-48_backup-options_os-10-3-0-296.png
    05-19-14 08:05 AM
    Funny! I'm on 10.2.1.3175 and that's what my screen shot came from...
    05-19-14 08:30 AM
    Funny! I'm on 10.2.1.3175 and that's what my screen shot came from...

Haha, even more interesting.

I guess they included the feature with very very recent builds of 10.2.1 too, then.

Man, the lack of information and documentation from this company is mind-boggling sometimes.

In the help file for 1.2.3.48, it cagily words it like this: "Select the desired databases you would like to backup (restore)." Which of course could just be, depending on the device, App Data/Settings/Media.
    05-19-14 08:47 AM
    At this point, I finally see LINK progressing. Now if they could just come up with a way to;
    1...Pick my own music folder.
    2...Maybe use Media Monkey, instead of ICrap or Windows Media Player for syncing.
    3...Recognize FLAC files on my SD card.
    These additions would be AWESOME!
    05-19-14 09:02 AM
    Are you able to test if this new version will sync with outlook contacts and calendar without error messages.
    Thanks
    go1ndr likes this.
    05-19-14 10:22 AM
    Interesting, I didn't even use the custom backup, just did ALL DATA backup and as it backed up it listed each app on the screen as if progressed and said it was backing up settings for each app. Perhaps that function is tied to what OS the phone is running? Currently running 10.2.1.3175. Perhaps that's why Omnitech didn't see them?
    05-19-14 10:31 AM
    Are you able to test if this new version will sync with outlook contacts and calendar without error messages.
    Thanks
    Mine does, but I haven't really had any problems in the past either.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 03:39 PM
    Interesting, I didn't even use the custom backup, just did ALL DATA backup and as it backed up it listed each app on the screen as if progressed and said it was backing up settings for each app. Perhaps that function is tied to what OS the phone is running? Currently running 10.2.1.3175. Perhaps that's why Omnitech didn't see them?
    I'm sure it is.

It's just that my initial testing was with an OS that didn't have the new features, and we hadn't yet figured out it was OS-dependent. As you can see from my latest posts here, my 10.3 device did have the granular backup options which my 10.2.1 device did not.
    05-19-14 05:46 PM
    I'm sure it is.

It's just that my initial testing was with an OS that didn't have the new features, and we hadn't yet figured out it was OS-dependent. As you can see from my latest posts here, my 10.3 device did have the granular backup options which my 10.2.1 device did not.
    Not sure when it started, but i'm running 10.2.1.3175 don't remember seeing it on my previous leak, but may have also come along with combo of new OS and New Version of Link
    05-19-14 06:00 PM
    Not sure when it started, but i'm running 10.2.1.3175 don't remember seeing it on my previous leak, but may have also come along with combo of new OS and New Version of Link
    I am running 2947 with added 10.3 bars and 2274 radio and I installed the new link a few days ago. When I click on custom backup, and it's finished loading the options, it only shows the same 3 or 4 options--media,apps, settings. So it must be OS dependent. It syncs the calendar perfectly but with all the bad issues trying to sync the contacts, and having to move the contacts to an outlook.com account, I haven't tried to sync the outlook contacts with this new version. Just a little gun shy these days when it comes to link. Still, I'd like to have the option to back up all of that type of data that is in the screen shot above.
    daveycrocket likes this.
    05-20-14 02:06 PM
    I am running 2947 with added 10.3 bars and 2274 radio and I installed the new link a few days ago. When I click on custom backup, and it's finished loading the options, it only shows the same 3 or 4 options--media,apps, settings. So it must be OS dependent.

It is unquestionably OS-dependent, as I stated earlier. It works with one of my phones (running 10.3) and not with the other (running 10.2.1) and they are both the same sub-model of Z10. (STL100-4)

It syncs the calendar perfectly but with all the bad issues trying to sync the contacts, and having to move the contacts to an outlook.com account, I haven't tried to sync the outlook contacts with this new version. Just a little gun shy these days when it comes to link. Still, I'd like to have the option to back up all of that type of data that is in the screen shot above.

Personally I wouldn't touch the contact-syncing feature of Link even if you paid me a substantial sum of money.
    go1ndr likes this.
    05-21-14 04:58 AM
    It is unquestionably OS-dependent, as I stated earlier. It works with one of my phones (running 10.3) and not with the other (running 10.2.1) and they are both the same sub-model of Z10. (STL100-4)

Personally I wouldn't touch the contact-syncing feature of Link even if you paid me a substantial sum of money.
    This is a little unreasonable as my link works fine on 1.2.2.13 calendar and contacts, I however would like to upgrade for the new features but am aware that it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether it's buggy, as some of us are not allowed to use various types of cloud storage (I'm in the UK with data protection act issues) I use my Z30 for my business in health and cant afford to lose the syncing to PC facility. I know that moving to a different country may give the answer all be it a bit drastic
    go1ndr likes this.
    05-22-14 04:17 AM
    This is a little unreasonable as my link works fine on 1.2.2.13 calendar and contacts, I however would like to upgrade for the new features but am aware that it can be a bit of a lottery as to whether it's buggy, as some of us are not allowed to use various types of cloud storage (I'm in the UK with data protection act issues) I use my Z30 for my business in health and cant afford to lose the syncing to PC facility. I know that moving to a different country may give the answer all be it a bit drastic

I have a feeling if you had talked to as many people wrt to the contacts app and syncing functionality as I have, done as much work importing and exporting data, scrutinizing/repairing it, and seen all the various bugs that I've seen, you'd probably agree with me.

My advice: don't sync anything to cloud services, be very careful what 3rd-party apps touch your contacts, and keep the field-count in your contacts low.
    go1ndr likes this.
    05-22-14 08:56 AM
    I have a feeling if you had talked to as many people wrt to the contacts app and syncing functionality as I have, done as much work importing and exporting data, scrutinizing/repairing it, and seen all the various bugs that I've seen, you'd probably agree with me.

My advice: don't sync anything to cloud services, be very careful what 3rd-party apps touch your contacts, and keep the field-count in your contacts low.
    So how do you sync your contacts, or don't you. I do keep the fields to a minimum as it cuts down on the work load but of course there are folk out there who have to have multiple fields they tend to be business people, I would have thought that BB would sort this issue out after all other platforms seem to manage this issue. But other platforms don't have desktop software any more they all seemed to be cloud based now.
    05-23-14 09:10 AM
    So how do you sync your contacts, or don't you. I do keep the fields to a minimum as it cuts down on the work load but of course there are folk out there who have to have multiple fields they tend to be business people, I would have thought that BB would sort this issue out after all other platforms seem to manage this issue. But other platforms don't have desktop software any more they all seemed to be cloud based now.

Easy answer: I don't sync with anything.

Because after I noticed some of the flaws with the Contacts app, I just decided to keep only local contacts. (Partly because I don't want to store contacts in someone else's "cloud". I may setup my own contacts syncing server at some point, that's actually in the master plan.)

When BB10 devices first came out, BlackBerry Link had no ability to sync with Outlook at all. Then they added rudimentary one-way sync, then they added rudimentary two-way sync. But by that time, I was so disillusioned with the contacts architecture I didn't want to touch that with a 10-foot-pole either.

So I just keep local contacts, do regular backups, and also use 3rd-party apps to backup my contacts, where I can LOOK at the raw data directly and verify what is there.

If I want to I can export that data elsewhere in the future - cloud or otherwise.

Also recently, in the process of doing a "fresh, no restore" OS install, discovered problems with the way several 3rd-party contacts backup/restore apps handle the data, errors that result in data loss or corruption. I contacted two of the vendors about it (both of which I feel have good reputations), they have both fixed their apps now. (One just yesterday)
    daveycrocket likes this.
    05-23-14 10:01 PM
    Easy answer: I don't sync with anything.

Because after I noticed some of the flaws with the Contacts app, I just decided to keep only local contacts. (Partly because I don't want to store contacts in someone else's "cloud". I may setup my own contacts syncing server at some point, that's actually in the master plan.)

When BB10 devices first came out, BlackBerry Link had no ability to sync with Outlook at all. Then they added rudimentary one-way sync, then they added rudimentary two-way sync. But by that time, I was so disillusioned with the contacts architecture I didn't want to touch that with a 10-foot-pole either.

So I just keep local contacts, do regular backups, and also use 3rd-party apps to backup my contacts, where I can LOOK at the raw data directly and verify what is there.

If I want to I can export that data elsewhere in the future - cloud or otherwise.

Also recently, in the process of doing a "fresh, no restore" OS install, discovered problems with the way several 3rd-party contacts backup/restore apps handle the data, errors that result in data loss or corruption. I contacted two of the vendors about it (both of which I feel have good reputations), they have both fixed their apps now. (One just yesterday)
    Thank you for your reply, my needs are simple really just to keep my appointments and contacts in sync
    I would also like to set up my own server which I know is not for this thread but would love some input from any one with the knowledge.
    05-24-14 08:07 AM
    keeps giving me error...it was running fine with the earlier version. Any ideas?
    05-28-14 02:26 PM
    Error 1920, Service Blackberry Link Communication Manager (RIM Tunnel Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services
    05-28-14 02:44 PM
44 12