As per the topic, I know BlackBerry Link already notifies us of updates for our BB10 phone when plugged in, but is it supposed to notify users of updates for the actual BlackBerry Link software, similar to when iTunes releases a new version? I couldn't see an option.

With BB Link 1.2 coming out today, I wouldn't have known that it came out if it wasn't for the CrackBerry site.

Thanks.
    09-17-13 10:54 PM
    As per the topic, I know BlackBerry Link already notifies us of updates for our BB10 phone when plugged in, but is it supposed to notify users of updates for the actual BlackBerry Link software, similar to when iTunes releases a new version? I couldn't see an option.

With BB Link 1.2 coming out today, I wouldn't have known that it came out if it wasn't for the CrackBerry site.

I think it usually does, unless there is a way to turn that feature off.

But I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it doesn't notify everyone within 3 hours of the download becoming available. If they were smart they would set some sort of random timer on those notifications so A) their download servers don't get slammed all at once and B) they give it some time in case they discover some post-release issues that they need to address before everyone installs it.
    09-17-13 11:09 PM
    You're probably right, wouldn't want millions of people downloading all at once. Thanks.
    09-18-13 12:02 AM
    I was looking for the same answer, I have not seen any update notification for this or older versions of BBLink. I did not have the patience to wait before, but I guess I will give that a try now.
    If the update does not show today or tomorrow I can always manually install the new version.
    09-18-13 05:49 AM
    Hi

Will the blackberry link notifies any updates for the latest OS for example 10.1.0.1481.Although I am able to see the software update through web but not through link.If yes can you tell me although updates check box is with tick mark in link
    09-18-13 05:58 AM
    Will the blackberry link notifies any updates for the latest OS for example 10.1.0.1481.Although I am able to see the software update through web but not through link.If yes can you tell me although updates check box is with tick mark in link

What do you mean "through web"?

The only official end-user methods of updating a BB10 device OS are OTA (over the air, from the carrier network or via WiFi), or via BlackBerry Link.

Who is your carrier and where are you located? Did you actually mean 10.1.0.4181?
    09-18-13 02:29 PM

Thanks.
    Good question. I assumed that it would and was looking around for a " check for updates " button, and didn't find one.

I downloaded it manually. I was thinking the exact same thing as you.

<Zedding since the beginning>
    09-18-13 02:38 PM
    Good question. I assumed that it would and was looking around for a " check for updates " button, and didn't find one.

Never has been such a button. That doesn't mean it doesn't check for updates and download them, assuming you didn't disable that function.

On version 1.1.1.41, the preferences option is called "Automatically download updates for your device software and BlackBerry Link." It's located in the "General" section of the settings page.
    09-18-13 02:47 PM
    Never has been such a button. That doesn't mean it doesn't check for updates and download them, assuming you didn't disable that function.

On version 1.1.1.41, the preferences option is called "Automatically download updates for your device software and BlackBerry Link." It's located in the "General" section of the settings page.
    Yes I have it checked in 1.2, maybe next time I will try to fight off the urge and see if it prompts me. That's gonna be really hard .
    09-18-13 06:01 PM
    Yes I have it checked in 1.2, maybe next time I will try to fight off the urge and see if it prompts me. That's gonna be really hard .

The thing is, those sorts of notification mechanisms were likely never meant for people who spend a significant part of their week absorbed in Blackberry news on sites like Crackberry, who know immediately as soon as the latest things are released.

I think they are really meant more for the people who are just getting on with their lives, who happen to use the devices, and do NOT follow that news like a hawk - so they can be advised when something significantly improved is available, which they would otherwise not stay up on.

It's sorta like someone taking me (a member of BerryLeaks) aside and letting me know that BlackBerry just announced that they will be releasing OS 10.2 soon.
    trinichindian likes this.
    09-18-13 07:26 PM
    I just confirmed that BlackBerry Link will provide an update notification when a new version of itself is available. When a new version of BB Link was released last week, I decided to wait patently and see if the notification would appear rather than to download the new version manually.

It took a few days, but the notification finally came. I'm sure BlackBerry controls the schedule of notifications as to not overload the servers from concurrent downloads.

I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Is BlackBerry Link supposed to notify us of new updates when available? (Link itself, not BB10 OS)-linkupdate.jpg  
    11-21-13 01:11 PM
    On the pre-update BlackBerry Link the box that shows your computer on the lower left will have a red asterisk, hover the cursor over it and it will show update available. The installation went fine on my Win7 computer, and it seems to function fine so far.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 12:32 PM