06-08-18 11:45 PM
46 12
tools
    I have the latest BlackBerry Link installed. Plug my z30 with 10.2.1 and Link recognized the device and will even sync media files. But will not back up device. The error message says to check if the device is plugged in a try again. Even when I select custom backup it says no files to select to back up. Any ideas on how to get my device backed up? Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 08:09 PM
    Try another USB cable, or refresh your pc and device.
    02-24-15 08:11 PM
    Did you get it to work yet?
    03-03-15 10:13 AM
    Have you been able to resolve this yet, perhaps? Since I updated my Q10 to 10.3 Backups started being unreliable whereby they would show progress up to 30% then suddenly stop i.e. went back to the backup screen as if the backup was complete) yet the backup files would be as large as with previous backups, suggesting a complete backup had been performed - if I tried Restoring from the new backup file it would show all the data.

Now Backup tries to compute the backup data and returns an Error that the backup cannot complete. This additional issue has occurred since I updated Blackberry BLEND on the device yesterday from Blackberry App World (the regular BB App World update that was sent to the Hub's Notification).

The behaviour of my Q10/pcs is as follows: When the device is plugged in, Blackberry Link asks for the device password (even though the device is NOT locked) and once it is provided, BB Link messages that it cannot find the device and offers Reconnect or Reload option. Reconnect works in that BB Link connects to the device and shows the storage usage for Apps, media, etc. but the backup will simply not run, as mentioned above.

I've completely removed Blackberry Link from my various machines, cleaned the Registry, stopped Norton 360's firewall, reloaded BB Link, even tried removing my device password, excluded the Blackberry driver's IP address and when that didn't work, the entire range. Nothing works and the device is unbackup-able.
    This occurs with all my PCs, Windows & and Windows XP. All PCs used to back up flawlessly before this.

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I'm a years long die-hard Blackberry user but in my business I can't have a device that can't back up.
    sirk25 and wlmss like this.
    03-18-15 04:01 PM
    +1. Curious to read answer.

Posted via CB10
    wlmss likes this.
    03-31-15 06:29 PM
    I have the same problem. I just can't seem to figure out if it's a OS upgrade issue, BB Link issue, BB Blend issue, or microsoft update issue.

I can do back-ups on my work computer which is running Windows XP, but of course Blend is not supported on this system (So is Blend the problem?), but I cannot do any kind of back-up on my Windows 8.1 system, of which I used to be able to (Is it a windows update that I did?).

I have another Windows 8 system that I refuse to upgrade to 8.1. I will test it on that system and if it works then I'll know it has something to do with an update on 8.1. I should have an answer on that before the end of the week.
    04-01-15 09:00 AM
    Windows 7 Home Premium user here. Same problem. Both device and media cards are full. I have done a copy and paste in Windows Explorer, but that doesn't help with the restore function for contacts and calendar.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 08:13 AM
    I have the latest BlackBerry Link installed. Plug my z30 with 10.2.1 and Link recognized the device and will even sync media files. But will not back up device. The error message says to check if the device is plugged in a try again. Even when I select custom backup it says no files to select to back up. Any ideas on how to get my device backed up? Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    Mine problem too. After update OS 10.3.1.1779. I have been resolved the issues by swipe device and BlackBerry Link is well back up.

BlackBerry Z10/STL100-2
    04-04-15 10:48 PM
    Have you been able to resolve this yet, perhaps? Since I updated my Q10 to 10.3 Backups started being unreliable whereby they would show progress up to 30% then suddenly stop i.e. went back to the backup screen as if the backup was complete) yet the backup files would be as large as with previous backups, suggesting a complete backup had been performed - if I tried Restoring from the new backup file it would show all the data.

Now Backup tries to compute the backup data and returns an Error that the backup cannot complete. This additional issue has occurred since I updated Blackberry BLEND on the device yesterday from Blackberry App World (the regular BB App World update that was sent to the Hub's Notification).

The behaviour of my Q10/pcs is as follows: When the device is plugged in, Blackberry Link asks for the device password (even though the device is NOT locked) and once it is provided, BB Link messages that it cannot find the device and offers Reconnect or Reload option. Reconnect works in that BB Link connects to the device and shows the storage usage for Apps, media, etc. but the backup will simply not run, as mentioned above.

I've completely removed Blackberry Link from my various machines, cleaned the Registry, stopped Norton 360's firewall, reloaded BB Link, even tried removing my device password, excluded the Blackberry driver's IP address and when that didn't work, the entire range. Nothing works and the device is unbackup-able.
    This occurs with all my PCs, Windows & and Windows XP. All PCs used to back up flawlessly before this.

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. I'm a years long die-hard Blackberry user but in my business I can't have a device that can't back up.
    Mine have problems too, and did as your methods and cannot resolved. Finally I have resolved by swipe the device and BlackBerry Link is well working.

BlackBerry Z10/STL100-2
    04-04-15 10:51 PM
    I am having the same issue. I just posted it the Q10 forum, guess I should have looked here first. What I have found, when I have the one device that is causing issues, is going to the Windows Device Manager screen and its showing an unsupported BlackBerry device and no device drivers installed or could be found. Anyone else seeing this? As the OP said, Link sees my BB device and will even sync the media, but I can not do a backup or device switch. So frustrating
    04-06-15 04:05 PM
    I have this problem too. It used to work on Windows 7 Pro with Verizon Z30 and 10.2.1 but now nothing I've tried allows for any of the backup types.
    05-16-15 06:03 PM
    I'm having this problem now....on the end of another problem (working with BB to resolve volume issues). My Classic won;t back-up suddenly. It connects (both the Classic and Link acknowledge the connection) but as soon as I click on "back-up" it all just stops working.

Did anyone get a resolution to this issue?
    07-24-15 08:26 PM
    Had this problem a couple months ago. Turns out in my case the computer's UAC security settings on the Windows 7 machine were interfering. Temporarily bypassing this seemed to correct things.

skinnydevil and wlmss like this.
    07-24-15 09:51 PM
    I[m having the same problem.
    Use Windows 10.
    Any ideas on how to solve it The backup starts, but it stops and says it was unable to backup.
    wlmss likes this.
    10-20-15 07:08 AM
    I[m having the same problem.
    Use Windows 10.
    Any ideas on how to solve it The backup starts, but it stops and says it was unable to backup.
    same here... have tried a lot of different ways... hmmmmm
    10-27-15 05:35 PM
    Hi there, I have this problem also on Mac. Link simply does not backup my BlackBerry Passport. Has anyone found a solution here?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    drjeffb and Projectguy like this.
    10-31-15 10:22 AM
    I have the same problem with then a Z10 and now a Z30. I have tried multiple USB cables, 3 different PCs and three different OS's (Win 7, 8.1 and 10). No luck. Device is seen, can sync media, but a backup is not possible. Same problem as OP and so far no viable solution.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 02:23 PM
    Hi all,

Something I stumbled across on the Blackberry Support Forums (cannot post links here yet) was that this can be caused *apparently* by an application called "PC Recipes", or "President's Choice Recipes"; in more than one case, removing (un-installing) a "recipe" App. seemed to fix the back-up problems.

With that in mind, and with the assumption that it looks to be one or more Apps causing the issue, I think I'd try to un-install anything that looks, sounds and smells like some sort of cooking application, and then try a back up. Failing that, try un-installing the last application you put on the now failing device, and try it. If still no worky, take off the next last, then the next last and so on, to try and isolate the rogue App.

I'd also consider un-installing anything "non-standard", like patched Apps., just as a troubleshooting method, before re-applying them.

Another resolution was;

1. Uninstalled the device from the Device Manager (had the yellow exclamation)
    2. Left BB Link open
    3. Unplugged and replugged the handset
    4. and poof it worked

But I wouldn't have expected it to connect at all, if Windows was showing the device like that... still...worth a try.

You can also try removing any MicroSD card and seeing if you can then back up successfully.

Personally, I feel it's one or more Apps causing this, either because they are causing some kind of internal error when the backup code tries to access them, or they are genuinely corrupt in some way or description.

Another observation (although not confirmed) was someone who thought when they had over 675MB of Apps installed, the backup process began to fail. Removing one application to drop their total space usage below 675MB saw the backup process start working again, but others claimed they had figures way below this and still got the issue. With that, I would hazard a guess that the poster just got lucky and removed the App that was causing the issue and the size-aspect was a red herring.

I wonder too if clearing each application's cache one at a time would be something else to try?

Regards

James
    wlmss likes this.
    01-04-16 01:09 PM
    I have had success finally. A friend suggested that I do a Security Wipe of my phone and start over with it. That actually did the trick. Since wiping the phone BlackBerry Link now works and also BlackBerry Blend. Prior to that, ever since I had the phone from new, I could not get those programs to connect with the phone.

It's been a few days now and I have been testing my Link connection with full backups each day and so for so good. So maybe this is the solution for others out there that have exhausted all of the forum tricks and tips, like I had.
    wlmss likes this.
    01-04-16 08:31 PM
    I have been totally frustrated trying to back up Passport with Link. The same various messages others have posted. As for security wipe, how can I do THAT when I do NOT have a backup?
    Projectguy, wlmss and VolvoBear_ry like this.
    09-03-16 05:24 PM
    Hi there, I have this problem also on Mac. Link simply does not backup my BlackBerry Passport. Has anyone found a solution here?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Same issue. Love the phone, but if they can not get this backup to work, I guess I am back to Android again.
    wlmss likes this.
    09-03-16 05:33 PM
    I have been totally frustrated trying to back up Passport with Link. The same various messages others have posted. As for security wipe, how can I do THAT when I do NOT have a backup?
    VolvoBear_ry likes this.
    01-10-17 08:30 PM
    Same here with a Passport, PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163, how to wipe the device whitout back up the data....
    01-10-17 08:34 PM
    not using Link/Blend anymore, not even for backups, which do not work with OS-10.3.3 very successful anyway, rather using DBBT for that task, much faster and robust.

Posted via ´úČ- OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    Martin Green likes this.
    01-23-17 11:52 AM
    What is DBBT?
    02-19-17 07:21 PM
46 12