03-25-15 06:43 AM
40 12
tools
    I guessed no one notices that he is running software from today on a cpu that can't keep up with anything to save it's life with only 2gb of ram. It is his computer that's the problem and no matter what he does, it is going to bog down especially on a AMD Athlon 3000 cpu from 4 generations ago.
    I'm not an AMD guy, so I don't know how good his CPU is. But I've heard good things about Athlon, tho I will admit I don't know which model.

I have Intel E4600 with Windows 7 and 2GB RAM, I can browse with Link just fine. I do OC that to 2.75 GHz tho

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-14 09:33 AM
    I guessed no one notices that he is running software from today on a cpu that can't keep up with anything to save it's life with only 2gb of ram. It is his computer that's the problem and no matter what he does, it is going to bog down especially on a AMD Athlon 3000 cpu from 4 generations ago.
    Why would link need to use so many resources that it would slow the rest of a PC to a crawl no matter the age? Sounds like bad coding to me.
    02-16-14 09:40 AM
    Because todays browsers require a lot of resources that older cpu's can't keep up with, it is not BBLink that is killing Firefox. It is Firefox requiring more cycles of the cpu and slowing it down because todays cpu's need a graphics workhorse as in video cards to help handle it. The AMD 3000 Athlon CPU couldn't keep up with the E4600 Intel cpu. Basically it is coming down to hardware that he is trying to run things on. The older the computer, the slower things are going to run.
    02-16-14 09:48 AM
    Because todays browsers require a lot of resources that older cpu's can't keep up with, it is not BBLink that is killing Firefox. It is Firefox requiring more cycles of the cpu and slowing it down because todays cpu's need a graphics workhorse as in video cards to help handle it. The AMD 3000 Athlon CPU couldn't keep up with the E4600 Intel cpu. Basically it is coming down to hardware that he is trying to run things on. The older the computer, the slower things are going to run.
    I didn't realize the OP was backing up or using link at the same time. But if link was just installed doing nothing it shouldn't make any difference if it is installed or not. What is link doing or changing when it installs?
    02-16-14 10:07 AM
    It isn't BBLink that is the resource hog, and it installs .net distribution files also. the problem is it is Firefox wanting to be the resource hog especially on a 32bit os with a 64bit cpu using only 2gb of ram. Recipe for something to go wrong. Here I am on a Win 8.1 Professional 64bit with a I7-3770K with 16gb of ram in 2x8gb modules. it is all in the resources the computer has to use before something is going to slow down.
    02-16-14 10:18 AM
    Obviously just having link installed changed something otherwise uninstalling it wouldn't make things normal again.

Does BBRY expect everyone buying a phone to also have to buy a new computer just to use their software?
    02-16-14 10:52 AM
    Do you think oses that are eol should be supported to the end of time
    02-16-14 11:01 AM
    Do you think oses that are eol should be supported to the end of time
    No why would I think that? But someone has an older computer, you know many of BBRY fans in expanding countries can not afford a new cell and a new computer and having a computer that works perfect for them otherwise. So what do these people do? Forget about using link at all or buy a system that works and doesn't slow their computer to crawl with the software only being installed?
    02-16-14 11:12 AM
    I didn't realize the OP was backing up or using link at the same time. But if link was just installed doing nothing it shouldn't make any difference if it is installed or not. What is link doing or changing when it installs?
    You were correct, I haven't done any backup & used it at the same time. The system does it when BBLink is idling. When I kill its processes from Task Manager, it stays the same. BBLink itself runs smooth and fine. The computer runs smooth and fine. No lags, no slowing down. No bandwith problems. Absolutely normal parameters, even temps; low CPU load. The only difference is that 2 browsers are unable to load pages, the 2 others are dead slow. The misbehavior starts immediately after I install BBLink - even without starting it first after installation. Another funny thing is that the slowing process is somewhat gradual. The browsers can load pages slowly after installation, without restarting. But after restarting, they go numb. And BBLink is the only program that bogs the system down. No one questioning the relatively old setup, but it's working totally fine, so there is no reason to change that.
    02-16-14 11:13 AM
    You were correct, I haven't done any backup & used it at the same time. The system does it when BBLink is idling. When I kill its processes from Task Manager, it stays the same. BBLink itself runs smooth and fine. The computer runs smooth and fine. No lags, no slowing down. No bandwith problems. Absolutely normal parameters, even temps; low CPU load. The only difference is that 2 browsers are unable to load pages, the 2 others are dead slow. The misbehavior starts immediately after I install BBLink - even without starting it first after installation. Another funny thing is that the slowing process is somewhat gradual. The browsers can load pages slowly after installation, without restarting. But after restarting, they go numb. And BBLink is the only program that bogs the system down. No one questioning the relatively old setup, but it's working totally fine, so there is no reason to change that.
    I think wants to load at startup unless you unchecked the option. Have you looked to see if it's loading on startup, in the background?
    02-16-14 11:16 AM
    Prem, I use the "No proxy" setting, and my system comes out always clean with Malwarebytes and Eset Smart Security 7. I don't use a router either; I'm wired. Ookla Speed Test shows normal parameters.
    See, I do computer repairs for a living, and I get to deal with this stuff almost on a daily basis. I urge my (reasonable) customers to get off XP asap!!

No Antivirus solution will give you 100% protection. Try Emsisoft as well (uses dual scan, Bitdefender + own engine). Any browser toolbars? Get rid of the junk. Also check out "Services Repair" tool by ESET on their website. Fixes quite a few things.

There is just no way of making XP secure anymore, with holes that will never get patched. It's just too hard, costs me a lot of nerves, and don't want to be responsible for every unsolicited pop-up or browser toolbar that makes its way onto somebody's computer, or internet connection drop-out because the OS got trojanized / backdoored.

Survey says, it's about FIVE times more expensive for corporations to maintain XP over the much more advanced Windows 7, left alone 8.

If you can afford it, get yourself a cheap Windows 8 Pro upgrade disk off ebay or amazon, backup everything to an external disk, and do a clean install from the DVD (32bit) by booting directly from DVD (choose "custom" and format).

Also, how much RAM does the computer have?
    Make sure you have at least 2GB. BB Link is a bit of resource hog, and can clog up and bog down PCs with a gig or less fairly easily.

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    02-21-14 07:25 PM
    You need to completely uninstall Firefox and all related files. Make sure all the folders in Program Files / Firefox are all deleted!
    And install Chrome... just to see if it works!
    Do that so we can help pinpoint the problem. There's absolutely NO reason why LINK shouldn't work in FireFox.
    I'm willing to to bet that it won't work in Chrome either.

When you're ready to agree that it's a computer problem, I can walk you through the fix.
    Download MozBackup, if you have a heavily customized Firefox. Backup with that program. Uninstall, delete the Firefox folders, or rename them.

The ones in your users folder under AppData ( hidden folder), it's mainly about the profile.
    Then Firefox in the C:\Programs folder

You can rename stuff to disable, instead if deleting, like so

\Mozilla Firefox

to

\Mozilla Firefox_orig

"Purge" the computer of Firefox like that, or uninstall completely.

--------

One word about the resource question, as far as I remember, I was running it on a single Core Celeron M, 1.6ghz on 2GB RAM on VISTA, which is known to be a massive resource hog itself. And I have a great number of tabs open, usually 20-50 tabs.

Antivirus? MSSE, Microsoft Security Essentials. I keep the machine clean, and don't install junk. Works. BB Link + Firefox. Upgraded to mobile Core2 Duo, 1.6GHz a while ago. Even better.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    02-21-14 07:56 PM
    kbz1960, the startup list is tailored exactly to my needs.

Prem, yup, BBLink is a resource hog, I saw that. I have 2Gb of RAM only, so that explains a lot already. My OS runs smooth and clean with Eset. The last reinstall was done because of a dying HDD. We tried to install 7 on this motherboard/CPU combo, but interestingly it simply refused to start. The old faithful XP went on and it's smooth sailing ever since. I run Webroot on top of Eset from time to time (which was designed specifically to reside on top/on the side of other security systems and uses VERY different algorithms), but my computer was never infected. No BSoDs either. Ever.

I'm using Chrome, but I don't like that I had to kill it's autostart sequence, when I discovered that there was 3 instances of chrome.exe in my processes. Unethical little thingy, unconfigurable, so I use it just for specific video extractions.

Hey, thanks for the other ideas, appreciated!
    02-22-14 09:06 PM
    kbz1960, the startup list is tailored exactly to my needs.

Prem, yup, BBLink is a resource hog, I saw that. I have 2Gb of RAM only, so that explains a lot already. My OS runs smooth and clean with Eset. The last reinstall was done because of a dying HDD. We tried to install 7 on this motherboard/CPU combo, but interestingly it simply refused to start. The old faithful XP went on and it's smooth sailing ever since. I run Webroot on top of Eset from time to time (which was designed specifically to reside on top/on the side of other security systems and uses VERY different algorithms), but my computer was never infected. No BSoDs either. Ever.

I'm using Chrome, but I don't like that I had to kill it's autostart sequence, when I discovered that there was 3 instances of chrome.exe in my processes. Unethical little thingy, unconfigurable, so I use it just for specific video extractions.

Hey, thanks for the other ideas, appreciated!
    No worries, glad you seem happy on XP. Just be aware of the EOL for support & updates from MS on 08 APR 2014.

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-23-14 03:29 AM
    hi , i have exactly the same problem with firefox, using Win 7, 4 GB, 32 bit.!
    03-25-15 06:43 AM
40 12