03-25-15 06:43 AM
40 12
tools
    Hi guys, first post here. I tried to search the web but it was inconclusive. I got a Z10 as a Xmas present. I installed BlackBerry Link and it seemed to work good initially. Then I tried to open a YouTube video. The first one opened without issues, but after then Flash stopped entirely. No matter what I tried, Firefox was dead. CPU was between 2-18%. Everything was perfect except that. Uninstalled BlackBerry Link with Revo Uninstaller and in a blink of an eye the computer was fine (XP AMD 3000+). Tried again - same result. Then I tried to install it to an external USB hard drive and it worked flawlessly for a couple of hours. Next day my Firefox was dead again - but not only the Flash, but the browser was unable to open a single website. After 6 minutes, the first one opened, then nothing.

Uninstalled BlackBerry Link and haven't touched it since. Any ideas?

TIA

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 06:04 PM
    I haven't found an answer to "why" as yet, but I use Chrome, Firefox and IE... each on different computers running Windows 8.1 (64bit) and Link works flawlessly on all three for me.
    I prefer Chrome because it's a faster browser, then Firefox and lastly IE.

What anti-virus program are you using? It could be an adware/malware problem
    And, when's the last time you emptied the cache in Firefox?
    Firefox is definitely crashing on you.. that's for sure.
    Could also be driver related.

How about uninstalling Firefox with Revo and do an advanced scan for left over files ( you'll find about 60-100 scattered in the registry and many more throughout Windows Explorer.) Delete them all and then download a fresh version of Firefox.
    Also you might consider downloading Chrome and see if the problem still exists.That, at least, will help narrow the problem down.
    When I'm designing a website some things look better in one browser and others look better in another.
    Not all browsers are created equal!

With what info you've supplied, this is the best I can do.
    Do the Firefox uninstall /reinstall first and see if that fixes the problem.

On the surface, it may appear to be "Link" that is the problem, but it's not!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 01-14-14 at 07:03 PM.
    01-14-14 06:29 PM
    Hi guys, first post here. I tried to search the web but it was inconclusive. I got a Z10 as a Xmas present. I installed BlackBerry Link and it seemed to work good initially. Then I tried to open a YouTube video. The first one opened without issues, but after then Flash stopped entirely. No matter what I tried, Firefox was dead. CPU was between 2-18%. Everything was perfect except that. Uninstalled BlackBerry Link with Revo Uninstaller and in a blink of an eye the computer was fine (XP AMD 3000+). Tried again - same result. Then I tried to install it to an external USB hard drive and it worked flawlessly for a couple of hours. Next day my Firefox was dead again - but not only the Flash, but the browser was unable to open a single website. After 6 minutes, the first one opened, then nothing.

TIA

Posted via CB10
    Well..... along with a lot of other people, I used Firefox and BB_Link on the same PC, often at the same time, and never have any problems. Maybe you have some thorny underlying PC issue......

Suggest you reinstall all of the software, patch to the latest versions, and have another go. Good luck
    01-14-14 06:30 PM
    Hello I use Firefox and Google Chrome on two different PC and both have BlackBerry Link and it works perfectly. I have no idea how to fix your issue however I would try what they said above. Good luck and hope you're enjoying your Z10

Rockin Z10 on 10.2.1.1925
    01-14-14 06:33 PM
    BlackBerry Link is resources hungry. One of my PCs (4GB RAM) is a Win XP SP3 and Firefox 26 is running fine, BlackBerry Link is configured not to start when Win XP start. I don't have any BB services running (Windows Task Manager). When needed I start BB Link and shut it down when no longer required. I also control BB Link through the firewall, all BB connections are blocked when BB Link is not in use.

I don't have any issues running BB Link and FF concurrently.
    01-14-14 06:44 PM
    Guys thanks for your suggestions.

I'm using FF because I work a lot with bookmarks, so the UI on my FF is personalized to my exact likings. I don't use too many add-ons though. The computer works great otherwise, as it's a relatively fresh install (October), so it's basically uncluttered. I clear my FF cache daily. I'm using Eset Smart Security 7.0.104, which asks on connection how it should configure the network with my Z10.

What's more interesting is that despite the low resource usage, nothing changes when I kill the running BB processes from the Task Manager. BTW, BB Link is configured NOT to autostart.

I'm thinking of a portable installation onto a pendrive...
    01-14-14 08:29 PM
    Update: tried to install BB Link to a pendrive. Exact same effect.
    01-15-14 10:06 AM
    Update: tried to install BB Link to a pendrive. Exact same effect.

You need to completely uninstall Firefox and all related files. Make sure all the folders in Program Files / Firefox are all deleted!
    And install Chrome... just to see if it works!
    Do that so we can help pinpoint the problem. There's absolutely NO reason why LINK shouldn't work in FireFox.
    I'm willing to to bet that it won't work in Chrome either.

When you're ready to agree that it's a computer problem, I can walk you through the fix.
    01-15-14 03:08 PM
    I have Chrome on my computer. The problem is that FF is the only browser which I can configure to my exact (and very picky) needs. So I have to use FF for my everyday needs. I use Chrome, but for limited things only, for example extracting videos from flash streams etc.

And I think the term "dead FF" needs a bit of clarification: the browser itself is not dead, it works perfectly (menus, tabs, tools, file functions, everything) - except that it is absolutely unable to open websites. So not dead, but seriously crippled... And in the very moment I uninstall BB Link (even without restarting), it IMMEDIATELY works again, like nothing happened.
    01-15-14 06:51 PM

TIA

Posted via CB10
    I suspect your issues are unrelated to BB Link. The latest version of FireFox turns off plugin support. I suspect your issue is with the Flash Browser Plugin.
    01-15-14 06:57 PM
    If it won't open websites... it virus related!
    Hidden adware and Malware on your computer trying to redirect to an different website, but Firefox is blocking that redirect!

Again, while you may think BB Link is the problem... be assured, it isn't.
    You have Chrome but you won't try Link on it.
    I keep hearing all the reasons why you won't try this or that

We've given you more than enough options and support to get you back up and running.
    I may have missed something but it appears that you haven't really tried any of our suggestions!

So, all I can offer you is: Good Luck! I hope you resolve your issues!
    01-15-14 07:27 PM
    Lostboy, I appreciate your suggestions; I just wanna see a clearer picture first. You suggested to delete/remove/erase this and that - yet the system works otherwise perfectly. I installed BB Link on a different partition now. Chrome works perfectly. Opera and Opera Next work perfectly. IE8 does load some sites, but some others won't load. FF is almost the same, but Youtube/Vimeo/Google searches (so it's not just Flash-related), etc. are forbidden fruits for the browser. It can load the basic text from other sites without any rendering, and some simple sites (for example Wordpress blogs) load OK, just way slower than before.

Every virus- and malware scan comes out as pristine clean. The only variable is BB Link. When it's on the machine, it causes conflict. After uninstalling it, everything returns to an absolutely normal state.
    01-16-14 05:58 AM
    Lostboy, I appreciate your suggestions; I just wanna see a clearer picture first. You suggested to delete/remove/erase this and that - yet the system works otherwise perfectly. I installed BB Link on a different partition now. Chrome works perfectly. Opera and Opera Next work perfectly. IE8 does load some sites, but some others won't load. FF is almost the same, but Youtube/Vimeo/Google searches (so it's not just Flash-related), etc. are forbidden fruits for the browser. It can load the basic text from other sites without any rendering, and some simple sites (for example Wordpress blogs) load OK, just way slower than before.

Every virus- and malware scan comes out as pristine clean. The only variable is BB Link. When it's on the machine, it causes conflict. After uninstalling it, everything returns to an absolutely normal state.
    With each new post... a little more information to ponder!

I feel your frustration and frankly, I'm at a loss here.
    The only thing that I can say for certain is that the BB Link software is not the problem.

Any chance, someone will let you install BB Link on their laptop?
    Then you can see if it runs at their place, then run their Laptop on your system and see the outcome.
    If it runs on the Laptop at your place then we KNOW it's computer related.

In the meantime..... Lot's of folks here use "Sachesi" tool. It's clearly as good and maybe even better than BB Link!

Just keep us posted, OK?
    01-16-14 04:47 PM
    Thanks, appreciated, and I deffo will do!

I'm in sponge-mode now, slurping up every bit of info about the whole BB world and approaches. I'm gonna try to dig up every imaginable scenario and then make conclusions. Let's check the Sachesi!
    01-17-14 08:21 PM
    Thanks, appreciated, and I deffo will do!

I'm in sponge-mode now, slurping up every bit of info about the whole BB world and approaches. I'm gonna try to dig up every imaginable scenario and then make conclusions. Let's check the Sachesi!
    Are you still using Windows XP? Get off that outdated piece of software ASAP. It's a pure malware magnet. Contains security holes that will never be fixed anymore, and support / updates cease on 08Apr2014.

Check your firewall settings, and use the latest version of Link. Most importantly, check proxy settings in Firefox and set it to "no proxy". Usually "system proxy settings" can cause problems. Also viruses / trojan can change it to "system proxy settings", and set a system wide proxy to redirect all traffic.

Also check proxy settings / Internet Options in Windows. No proxy. Might also be a thing to check your router if any ports are blocked, and proxy, DHCP and DNS settings. Set a REAL password on your router, not the famous admin / admin or admin / password.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    02-11-14 02:59 PM
    Prem, I use the "No proxy" setting, and my system comes out always clean with Malwarebytes and Eset Smart Security 7. I don't use a router either; I'm wired. Ookla Speed Test shows normal parameters.
    02-13-14 07:51 PM
    I've never heard of Link killing Firefox. I do have Pale Moon (based on the Firefox source code) and it works perfectly fine with Link. I suggest that, if possible, backup your settings for Firefox and try a re-install of Firefox.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-13-14 08:30 PM
    Unfortunately it's not just FF. IE8 is just as numb, but Chrome & the Operas work (albeit slower). The interesting aspect is, that only the browsing is affected, other browser functions, like menus, settings, bookmarks, view, edit functions work as always. No other performance drops - they just can't open sites.
    02-13-14 10:59 PM
    Participating.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 12:11 AM
    Unfortunately it's not just FF. IE8 is just as numb, but Chrome & the Operas work (albeit slower). The interesting aspect is, that only the browsing is affected, other browser functions, like menus, settings, bookmarks, view, edit functions work as always. No other performance drops - they just can't open sites.
    I have Opera 12, Opera 19, Pale Moon 24 and Internet Explorer 8, they run just fine with BlackBerry Link running. Methinks there is something else. When you mean "slow" do you mean the act of browsing (scrolling, clicking on buttons, animations, etc) is slow or do the page load longer?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-14-14 12:57 AM
    The pages don't load at all, or very slowly. 80-20%. Otherwise the computer behaves absolutely normally. (XP SP3 Pro/Athlon64 3000+/2Gb RAM)
    02-15-14 08:44 AM
    Try to download something with your slow browser and BlackBerry Link running, see if it's a problem with your Internet connection. Most probably Link is trying to download software updates and it consumes your bandwidth

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-15-14 09:53 PM
    I tested it with Ookla speedtest, and bandwith was/is unaffected @16.6/1.08Mbps which is fully normal on my ADSL.
    02-16-14 07:03 AM
    First link does not run in any browser and second if everything sucks with link installed and doesn't when it isn't it is something link is doing, either link has a conflict with a driver or something.

I would make sure you have all windows updates installed, even the optional ones and then I would make sure the computer bios is up to date and drivers for your system.
    02-16-14 07:42 AM
    I guessed no one notices that he is running software from today on a cpu that can't keep up with anything to save it's life with only 2gb of ram. It is his computer that's the problem and no matter what he does, it is going to bog down especially on a AMD Athlon 3000 cpu from 4 generations ago.
    02-16-14 08:56 AM
40 12