Windows 7 64bit ultimate.
    Known repair step 1. Deleted Blackberry device and Blackberry virtual private network. Uninstall Link and associations with device. This was clean enough for me.

Known repair step 2: Reboot. Plug in phone and see if computer maps the drives. Mine did and I was hoping to see a pop up to download Link but didnt. No WORRIES. Note: Computer tries to install device failed red x and then installed it correct so two items show one unknown device failed and then the Blackberry device ready to use.
    Known repair step 3. Google Blackberry USB drivers. Install those USB and Modem drivers from 2012. This has been thought to be the whole fix for some.
    Download and instal Link. Reboot. ( I then went to the Blackberry Device Manager and setup the bluetooth connection to the PC for the hell of it. Plug Phone in and cross fingers. You should be ready to go!

Note: There is an unknown device under Universal serial bus controller that appears to be related to the Z10. I ignored it! Still there, who cares?
    08-01-14 07:43 PM
    While it is good that you found a solution it is not the first I've had issues with BlackBerry Link. I myself have done to what you have just posted. Truth be told users just don't have time to troubleshoot-uninstall-reinstall-confirm etc. on multiple occasions. BlackBerry needs to figure out what is causing these glitches.
    08-01-14 07:48 PM
    Its a Windows management problem mostly but i agree, microsoft and Blackberry need to get this made bullet proof. Some motherboards in the world have issues with USB connectivity and things are not better when the computer likes to shut down USB ports to save power. However they should wake up when a device is connected. The blame is with Blackberry. The above instructions were very qucik to do. Many posts about people spending hours and hours and alot of installs on this problem. After doing a little research, I am convinced that these steps are a bullet proof solution. Until windows decides to screw up these drivers and software or possibly other drivers and software as we all know happens!
    08-01-14 07:55 PM
    Where is the blackberry virtual network located ? I want to try this and see if I can get my former Z10 to start once more.
    08-01-14 09:00 PM
    There is one more solution that I've finally found. For those who have, out of curiosity if nothing else (like me) installed the PlayBook simulator VMware (or, I would assume, any other VMware setup), VMware installs several (at least two, if not three) virtual network adapters. Having found that disabling these make File Manager work perfectly against my desktop (and as it had worked flawlessly with my laptop, which, rather confirming this further, did not have the VM installed) I'm good.

What a feature, now that it works against my far larger collection of media, etc, on my desktop. Non-cloud, indeed!
    08-22-15 03:11 PM