Originally I had clear reservations and a few questions about the Leap, it's place within the BlackBerry device portfolio, the specs and all the features that were left out, i.e. no mini HDMI output, no compass, no NFC.

To be honest, as a Z10 owner I've used the HDMI output only twice in two years and about the same for the NFC...as for the compass...well it's just there...not much use for it in my case. Point being I can live without them.

But I finally got my hands on a live Leap demo unit, several times already, and I can say that it is a pretty good phone for the price. The larger screen, bigger battery, the fact that it contains Paratek antenna technology, expandable memory/ storage up to 128GB's, are all a plus and more than offset the missing features I mentioned before . The build is way better than I thought it would be. It doesn't feel or look cheap. It is also lighter than it perhaps looks.

As it is optimised for BB10.3, not only has it retained the fluidity and interactive features of the OS, but the navigation feels even smoother. The larger keyboard is also a plus.

This is clearly a no frills, straightforward productivity device, designed in mind with those who need a smartphone geared towards a practical and utilitarian aim. But then again that is true of all BlackBerry devices.

It's spartan, simple and minimalist design is a plus for me, as I'm not interested nor in a mood to dole out hundreds of dollars for a "cluttered" device laden with bells and whistles I neither need nor care for...or will ever use. Since I purchase my devices at full price, it's nice to be able to have the choice of a full touch BlackBerry smartphone that won't burn a hole in my pocket.

The UI of the Leap is as intuitive and responsive as that of any other BlackBerry device and those of others brands I've tried out. The buttons did not seem to pose a problem and are a bit smoother, more polished and have a better finish than those of my Z10 which are rougher and whose metal finish does not necessarily favour them.

I found the sound to be just as good as on my Z10, inspite of the speaker being placed on the back. If you put it on a smooth hard surface the sound is not really diminished. If deposited on top of a blanket or towel etc., the sound might be reduced, but not so bad that it cannot be heard. Besides if you must keep it nearby, let's say in bed next to you...there is a simple solution, turn the damn thing around put it with the screen down and speaker up...that should ensure it can be heard...

For me the selection of apps in BlackBerry World has never been a problem. But now with the addition of the Amazon App Store, it's merely an afterthought at best. On my Z10 I have 7 pages full of apps and I barely use most of them.

Same goes for games...have some but barely play them...

I wish BlackBerry started offering music and video content once again, if not through native digital stores (which they shuttered last year), at least they could enable their users to be able to make use of Amazon's huge catalogue of music, movies and TV series. With the Leap's 128GB's of storage, I wouldn't mind purchasing some movies . If I let's say travel and am on a long flight, I would love not to have to depend on the usually anemic entertainment choices provided by airlines...

The only other items I am thinking about ...are more of a "wishlist" type of features I would like to see incorporated on BlackBerry smartphones. Since BlackBerry 10 employs a QNX architecture, I wish BlackBerry could have transferred the virtual "Off" button and the "flick away" gesture (used to close apps), which were found on the PlayBook and it's OS. Maybe in future updates, BlackBerry will listen and perhaps incorporate them in 10.4. If it worked out for the PlayBook, it would come even handier on a phone.

Let me make this clear. My Z10 has been and is a great device. Outside a few issues here and there, most of which have already been discussed, it has more than fulfilled it's purpose for me.

I really considered getting the Z30, given the lower price. The fact that it is a two year old device, despite its higher end specs and features , proved to be a deal breaker for me. So in the end I opted not to go with the Z30, but give the Leap a try.

Once I actually get my Leap...I'll have a few concluding thoughts to add.

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    Last edited by adonesc; 06-16-15 at 09:48 PM.
    05-21-15 06:22 PM
    Thanks, that's a nice review !
    adonesc likes this.
    05-21-15 07:01 PM
    Very nice review, thank u

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    05-22-15 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the initial writeup. I'm on a z10 now and would like to know when you get the Leap if you could comment on a few things by comparison to the z10:

� the signal/call quality
    � if the frame rates still drop on screen transitions
    � when listening to audio, if pauses happen when opening a browser page, opening an app from close
    � how good/bad is RAM management
    (I can't have BBM, an RSS App, a podcast or music app, a weather app, assistant, and the browser open without the OS closing one or two of the other apps out)

And lastly, I'm assuming that advanced interactions will work as advertised on the Leap....

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    Last edited by sibeans; 05-23-15 at 11:13 AM.
    adonesc likes this.
    05-23-15 02:17 AM
    Being a happy Z10 owner, this is the information I was looking for determining which route to go for a next phone. Thanks for the help! The Leap just got put into the lineup!

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    05-23-15 10:37 PM
    Thanks for the review. I ordered a leap this morning to replace the. Z10.
    I also tried a android device, but what a waste of time. I'm sorry for all those users using them and not knowing about the power of BB.

BB10 Q10 321chutelibre.fr
    lift and adonesc like this.
    05-26-15 06:24 AM
    Thanks for the initial writeup. I'm on a z10 now and would like to know when you get the Leap if you could comment on a few things by comparison to the z10:

� the signal/call quality
    � if the frame rates still drop on screen transitions
    � when listening to audio, if pauses happen when opening a browser page, opening an app from close
    � how good/bad is RAM management
    (I can't have BBM, an RSS App, a podcast or music app, a weather app, assistant, and the browser open without the OS closing one or two of the other apps out)

And lastly, I'm assuming that advanced interactions will work as advertised on the Leap....

Just a few notes on the fields you are concerned of...

Signal/Call quality- most of the BBs have no problem with this. Except if you live in a city where network coverage is seriously flawed. Hence this shouldn't be a problem.

Graphics quality- this depends on the GPU of the unit. From what i see in the specifications details, the GPU in the LEAP is moderately competitive to LUMIA 640LTE as well as other makes in the Android camp... Some graphic intensive games like NOVA may not be friendly with the LEAP, some may still playable... And perhaps you should not expect stellar camera qualities from the LEAP. If you want good cam, jump on to the ASUS bandwagon. LEAP produces moderately acceptable images. Generally, the LEAP can play most of the .mov or .mp4 as well as .wmv video files smoothly.

Interference in apps execution- so far, what i had experienced while listening to internet radio broadcast, such interference happens when you are executing intenet dependent apps alot in a time. Such as while listening to the streaming medias, and downloading at the same time... breaks/pause/interruptions often pops up. Hence such experience often can be found with poor network or bandwidth limitation... I had been listening to internet radio with my Z3 for numbers of months, and such interruptions often happens when i click on other bandwidth hungry apps.

RAM management- for the moment, BB may still be a little sucky like Android when it comes to RAM management... if alot of apps are still in execution in the background. In comparison to WP, RAM requirement is much lesser. With 2GB of RAM to the LEAP... it may seems like a luxury. But it is still early to determine... especially depending on the OS updates.
    adonesc likes this.
    05-27-15 12:47 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Z10, and it works fine. It gives me all I need. At present I don't need any upgrade. Yet I follow the general development with interest.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    05-28-15 09:07 AM
    Well my Leap arrived this week, got my BlackBerry screen protectors, now I'm just waiting for my Incipio case.

Too busy with work, haven't had time to set it up yet. After I do that and use it for a bit, I will try to post more impressions of the device.

Mind you I am not a qualified techie or professional reviewer. So whatever I'm saying here, are just thoughts and opinions as an everyday consumer and BlackBerry user.

Actually, I find that the more "expert" reviews I read, the more confused I get as a consumer. Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and take a chance.

Besides, nothing is written in stone...and you can return the device for a refund...

sibeans likes this.
    05-28-15 03:49 PM
    Sorry it was a repeat posting...
    05-28-15 04:08 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Z10, and it works fine. It gives me all I need. At present I don't need any upgrade. Yet I follow the general development with interest.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. My Z10 is still a workhorse. I was looking today at a co-worker with their IPhone 6, struggling with emailing and texting and how inefficient the IOS actually is versus the productivity driven and aimed BB10...nevermind a myriad of other features (like reception, call quality etc)...and that is supposed to be the flagship device for Apple... if you don't count it's steroid bound cousin, the IPhone 6 Plus.

But even so, the Z10 is starting to show it's age (2 years old...LOL) in terms of how it runs 10.3, some of the apps...etc.

Looking around for another BlackBerry smartphone, the Classic and Passport, though good devices, were not a viable option for me as I'm not interested in going back to a physical keyboard. It's all touch for me.

The Z30 was surely enticing, especially during the spring sale, but even so, as I mentioned, the fact that the device is quickly approaching the 2 year mark...stops me in my tracks.

The only sensible and worthwhile investment for me at this time seemed to be the Leap. Yes, it is not a clear upgrade, but you know what? For the price and the few improved and added features...it is not as bad as some make it to be!

Yes, it is missing some features and components, but that comes down to individual preferences. As does buying this device...

It's not perfect, but it is far from the technological failure some deem it, including me at first.

Of course, keep in mind that that is based on the hands- on, initial trial with a display model.

If I end up hating it and returning it...I'll talk about that too...

We'll see...

PS The "Slider" is not a priority for me...besides it reminds me of "The Matrix"...and I'm not Neo...LOL...just kidding. It will probably make some people pretty happy!

Last edited by adonesc; 05-28-15 at 07:56 PM.
    sibeans likes this.
    05-28-15 04:09 PM
    Same here. My Z10 is still a workhorse. I was looking today at a co-worker with their IPhone 6, struggling with emailing and texting and how inefficient the IOS actually is versus the productivity driven and aimed BB10...nevermind a myriad of other features (like reception, call quality etc)...and that is supposed to be the flagship device for Apple... if you don't count it's steroid bound cousin, the IPhone 6 Plus.

But even so, the Z10 is starting to show it's age (2 years old...LOL) in terms of how it runs 10.3, some of the apps...etc.
    that's really the point of interest given that the CPU of the z10 and Leap are the same (with maybe a difference in RAM and internal storage performance?), and that the display will marginally bump up the performance of the Leap
    adonesc likes this.
    05-28-15 04:19 PM
    that's really the point of interest given that the CPU of the z10 and Leap are the same (with maybe a difference in RAM and internal storage performance?), and that the display will marginally bump up the performance of the Leap
    And also maybe the fact that the Leap is optimised to run 10.3. Think, that version of the OS comes right out of the box. Meaning that the Leap's starting point is that version of the OS. Any future updates will be new to it. The BB10 the Leap is starting out with is a matured version of the OS versus what the Z10 began with.

Whereas the Z10 has had to go through several updates and iterations of BB10 over the past 2 years plus, to get to this point...

I don't know if that makes a difference or means anything...but maybe something worthwhile to consider when thinking about the Leap's overall performance ...

sibeans likes this.
    05-28-15 08:03 PM
    Exactly, it seems that optimization makes all the difference

adonesc likes this.
    05-28-15 08:11 PM
    Well well...my Leap is up and running. I'll use it over the next couple of days, play around with it and tinker with the settings to fix them to my settings.

The BlackBerry screen protector and the Incipio case were worth the extra cost. Honestly...a pretty good looking device. If this is mid tier device, it sure doesn't feel or look like it.

Just the way the extra screen lends itself to typing, that alone was worth the switch from the Z10...

I need to "break-it" so to speak...and then we'll see...

PS As far as I can see...so far BlackBerry Link worked as it was supposed to...lol

Last edited by adonesc; 06-02-15 at 12:27 AM.
    sibeans likes this.
    06-01-15 08:22 PM
    Just to let people know, if you go to "BlackBerry Hub Settings" you will notice that the "Emergency Alerts" option which is available on the Z10 (and I'm assuming other BB10 devices) is missing on the Leap.

Also there is no "BlackBerry Virtual Expert" App, and you cannot download it from BlackBerry World as it is not available.

Tried the map feature on my Starbucks App (Make) and the map on the Leap is "flat" since it has no Gyroscope/Compass, you cannot "orientate yourself on the map. The Leap only uses the available GPS in order to give you your location and that of nearby Starbucks stores

On the Z10 when you pick-up for phone and move the device, map moves also depending on where and how you move the device, letting you know in which direction to move...

Will continue to give the Leap a little bit more time and see if it is worth keeping or returning...Hmmm will have to see...

06-02-15 09:38 AM
    So far...after almost two days of continuous use...not too impressed with it. Better as a display piece than an actual device to use for your every day.

Will use it some more, and I will let you know if I'll be returning it by the end of this week...

Of course, it is still new, but after the euphoria of getting a "new" device dissipates...reality sets in...

Just don't feel like giving up on my Z10...however I don't want to cause people to get the wrong idea...

Guess I have to give it more time. By the way, the people at Shop BlackBerry /Digital River were nice, and when I asked them they said that if I want to return the Leap anytime during the next 3 weeks they would process the refund right away...

Last edited by adonesc; 06-02-15 at 07:03 PM.
    madh263362 likes this.
    06-02-15 11:21 AM
    That's unfortunate. Would the Leap at least be a device to recommend to someone who hasn't experienced BB10 yet?

To me, at least for newcomers (in the low and mid tier range), the Leap covers the basic checklist with large screen, big battery, and competitive price.

06-02-15 12:39 PM
    "baarn;11686248]BlackBerry quote:

In instances where the BBVE application is not available within BlackBerry World for your device model or software version, the BBVE application can be launched from within the Help application using the following steps:
    From the Home screen, find and tap on the Help application icon
    Tap the menu button, indicated by three horizontal lines, in the lower Left corner.
    Tap Testing
    Read the BBVE*related*information displayed and tap the Try this now button

This is very much service provider and region specific. I'm confident the Leap has this functionality built in, but your service provider will need to enable it for your device and/or SIM.

On my Z10 I don't have the option of these alerts."

This is the advice I got from another nice BlackBerry user...and it honestly kept me from returning the phone. I was getting ready to repackage the device, return it and having my refund processed...but I managed to read that reply and others from fellow BlackBerry users and they gave me a kick in the arse and...well the BlackBerry Leap is alive for now...LOL

So don't listen to my frustration. Yes, you should buy your wife a Leap. And I don't think that the Leap is only for those who are new to the OS or look for a new entry level to mid-tier device from BlackBerry...

I'll post more information about my experience with the Leap after a more thorough stretch of usage. Got to put it through the ringer first...

sibeans likes this.
    06-02-15 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the review ! that's a great review
    adonesc likes this.
    06-06-15 03:04 AM
    So... what is the verdict. I am thinking of upgrading from my Z10/
    06-07-15 02:36 AM
    @ Current price, it's not worth. The specs of the LEAP doesn't come close to that of the Z30, or even alot better than Z10, except for the battery size and screen size.

I suggest that you look around for replacement battery and continue to live with Z10 until the release of the Slider or go for PASSPORT if your budget allows or if the latter gets some kind of price slashing now...
    06-07-15 05:38 AM
    So some concluding thoughts about the Leap and my first week using this device. Just to reiterate and rehash some earlier points.

I put the Leap through its paces. Using it for hours on end. Draining the battery, recharging it. During the day, night. At home and at work. In private and in public. Used it as a productivity, media, communications and even games device.

The interactive features work as advertised. The call quality is its usual reliable BlackBerry self. Connectivity, both to my mobile network and my home Wi-Fi, as well as all the saved public networks has been good and so far I have had no problems.

Got mine about two weeks ago unlocked from shopblackberry.com (for $349 Canadian, $394 with taxes...but free shipping) and have been using it for a week now. I have the "space-grey" one. Got my case from incipio.com and the (BlackBerry made) screen protector, from crackberry.com

After some initial trepidations and doubts, (some even after I had purchased and set up the device) now that I have been using it hands on, and not just the display model in a store, it looks and feels even better. The OS looks and performs great, giving you that same unique BB10 experience. The phone's UI is just as responsive and intuitive. As with other BlackBerry models, this device is a truly multi-functional one, ideal for multi-tasking.

It is worth remembering that the Leap comes with 10.3.1.1779 right out of the box (at least that is the OS version mine had). Then it will probably update immediately the 10.3.2 version...The Leap is optimised to run these higher versions of BB10, whereas the Z10 and Z30 have had to get several updates over the course of the past 2 years to get here.

So far the hardware and software have performed to expectations...at least to mine. And I am by no means a techie or an expert. Not by a long shot.

The much talked about speaker and sound strength/quality or lack thereof , has not been an issue. I've put the Z10 and Leap side by side and watched the same videos or listened to the same songs...and the Leap is definitely louder, with a much more powerful sound and rendition. Now, if people expect some BOSE Hi-Fi type of sound quality, then of course they will be disappointed...But for a device like the Leap and it's price point, it is not bad at all.

It does not feel or look like a cheap or crummy low-level device. It's build is pretty solid and tight, with a simple yet clean and uncomplicated design. For me it is a fitting replacement for my Z10. The bigger screen, which I find better than the Z10, and the much improved battery life...just those two extras makes the buy worth, well at least for myself. And mind you I buy my devices at full price.

Having the option to get a full touch BlackBerry device at the price of the Leap is really not a bad deal. I am not willing at this stage in my life to spend high amounts of money for something like an IPhone or a Galaxy S...devices which have a lot of "bells and whistles", I don't really need in my day to day use of a smartphone. Besides when you actually put the Leap next to some of those supposedly premium devices, they don't look that impressive...especially considering what you are being charged for them!

The app situation is alright for me,as I've said initially, since personally I don't use many, and also, I am not a gamer. Between BlackBerry World, the Amazon App Store and now the Amazon Store itself (automatically uploaded with the newest OS version), the situation and matter of choice is not really an issue anymore. If you want 10 different fart apps or 39 different weather apps...then yes of course Apple and Google will give you that...

I am not saying necessarily that this is a straightforward replacement for the Z30 as the Leap is missing some features found on the Z30 and even the Z10. I won't bother enumerating them here (just get a hold of a spec. sheet).

In so far as those missing features ...it will depend what people make frequent use of and what they can or cannot live without.

At the end of the day it is up to people as consumers and their individual needs. If people think the Leap can fulfil them,then I'd say, go ahead and buy it. If not maybe it's better to look for something else...maybe a Passport, Classic or Z30...or another brand altogether.

Good luck to all new owners of the Leap or those thinking about purchasing one (and everyone else for that matter)!

PS Perhaps all those thinking about buying the Leap might want to get their hands on a display model like I did, and see how it handles, before they make a decision...

Last edited by adonesc; 06-08-15 at 03:53 AM.
    sibeans likes this.
    06-07-15 08:38 AM
    Thanks for the insight you have provided. It is refreshing to hear from someone who does not seem to have an agenda. I have been searching for information from other than sales persons who don't, for the most part, have anything useful to add to the equation. Take good care.

Posted via CB10
    adonesc likes this.
    06-11-15 07:24 AM
    So... what is the verdict. I am thinking of upgrading from my Z10/
    My advice, such as it is, would be to try a demo unit and get a feel for the device, it's performance, design and build. If not satisfied, there are other options as some of the other posters mentioned here.

06-16-15 07:46 PM
31 12