What is the app on your PC called?
    It's called DU Meter. Very nice app. Have it since more than ten years.
    It monitors all network traffic and you even get a Taskbar option if you have Windows 7 and up.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:25 PM
    5ghz can barely go through cardboard. You're not missing much.
    This is totally true. I've never had much luck with 5ghz range or penetration.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2744
    thymaster likes this.
    05-06-15 06:18 AM
    This is totally true. I've never had much luck with 5ghz range or penetration.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2744
    I agree as well. Sitting five feet from the router and no full bars still.
    And I believe all this is on purpose by the manufacturers and FCC to keep the coverage as small as possible. I have seen business strength routers online that have about ten times the output power. They just don't want average joe to have it.
    When I go to stores and read all the garbage printed on the boxes, with "Extreme Range" and thousands of Mbps throughput, this makes you think you could get WiFi on the moon.
    It's all just garbage and a marketing gimmick.
    Reading about "Extreme Range" and then go and read a detailed test about it. And it says it puts out 100mW max, makes me shake my head.
    That old Belkin router I have puts out 700mW, and I still have a signal 500 yards from the house.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-06-15 08:09 AM
    I'm sitting probably 50 feet from my router with 3 walls between using N and my phone says the dbm is -62. The icon shows all but 1 bar filled.
    05-06-15 08:16 AM
    I'm sitting probably 50 feet from my router with 3 walls between using N and my phone says the dbm is -62. The icon shows all but 1 bar filled.
    N is not automatically 5GHZ. N works with 2.4GHZ as well. You sure it is on 5GHZ?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:09 AM
    Because the BB name has never been and doesn't need to be associated with "cheap". They're fishing after a customer that doesn't know they exist.
    Reality check. Blackberry is not a premium name anymore. Reason why nobody's buying them at top price.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:25 AM
    N is not automatically 5GHZ. N works with 2.4GHZ as well. You sure it is on 5GHZ?

Posted via CB10
    Yes
    05-06-15 09:39 AM
    I suppose WiFi standard N only runs on 2.4 gHz. To accomplish 5gHz, you need ac .

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 09:51 AM
    As others have said... 5ghz is vastly over hyped... major issue I have found is reliability of signal strength is wanting... Stop using it as it suffered major drop off compared to 2.4ghz... all my devices use 2.4 ghz now......another good example of the latest and the greatest is not always the case... Functionality is the key and in my abode at least 5ghz just does not cut it...
    5gz has a more limited penetration, but the speed is much better, and it gets less interference from neighboring wifi's. I use 5gz for my devices and set the rest of the family on 2.4.
    eyesopen1111 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    05-06-15 09:56 AM
    Dual band process. Yes, you can even modulate the radio signal strength. I use one. It is effective particularly when it comes to BlackBerry updates!!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 10:00 AM
    I suppose WiFi standard N only runs on 2.4 gHz. To accomplish 5gHz, you need ac .

Posted via CB10
    Incorrect. The transmission standard N does both.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-06-15 10:40 AM
    Reality check. Blackberry is not a premium name anymore. Reason why nobody's buying them at top price.

Posted via CB10
    True, I guess I need to accept reality because BB seems to have left me in another world... ROFL

But this is exactly my point, "anymore"... They left their roots and got drowned in a foreign sea... But like Cadillac and their sports car, because you made a mistake doesn't mean you have to keep making that same mistake. Learn from your mistakes and know that anyone seeking a cheap phone isn't looking at shop blackberry. Get real...

This is like Bentley trying to increase market share by targeting rental care agencies...

And don't say "nobody" because I paid a premium for my Classic and many here paid even more for their PP. And when people see I carry a BB, the last thing I want is it associated with some cheap, POS Leap their friend had that had that was gutless and featureless (cheap).

Anyone here old enough to remember the old Magnavox slogan, "Quality goes in before the name goes on..." I guess I did lose sight of reality...
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-06-15 10:50 AM
    Sell the Leap and buy a Z30 by the 8th May, 2015 for US$229. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 12:07 PM
    That's a very marginal difference and if your internet speed supplied is no faster that 54mbps N will not improve your speed as g does 54mbps.
    54 is the "air rate". Actual throughput is 22-28Mbps for 11a/g.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    You suppose incorrectly.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-06-15 03:08 PM
    54 is the "air rate". Actual throughput is 22-28Mbps for 11a/g.

Posted via CB10
    So when is one gonna get all those fantastic "150mbps+" rates? What's it take?

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 04:14 PM
    Used my laptop and speedof.me to test connection speed

2.4 Ghz
    14.11 mbs Avg
    29.34 mbs Max

5 ghz
    58.37 mbs Avg
    70.23 mbs Max

So if you pay extra for anything over 30mbs, 5ghz is your friend

Though I am in line of sight of my router and it's only 8 feet away.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-06-15 05:43 PM
    So when is one gonna get all those fantastic "150mbps+" rates? What's it take?

Posted via CB10
    Never. People are swayed by marketing, not by hard facts and realism anymore. Best case lab conditions cannot reach what they advertise. There is a problem where "good enough" doesn't translate into new sales. So the increase has to be dramatic for people to buy it when they don't need to.

My brother keeps buying $200 routers when his DSL connection is 1-3Mbps. I chew him out every time. His argument is usually that its for a customer of his and he's testing it out. His customers likely do not benefit from them, either.

Edit: To clarify, I'm saying the advertised rates will never be achievable. You can get 150Mbps+ with other radios and bandwidths today.
    Last edited by BCITMike; 05-06-15 at 08:35 PM.
    05-06-15 08:17 PM
    Used my laptop and speedof.me to test connection speed

2.4 Ghz
    14.11 mbs Avg
    29.34 mbs Max

5 ghz
    58.37 mbs Avg
    70.23 mbs Max

So if you pay extra for anything over 30mbs, 5ghz is your friend

Though I am in line of sight of my router and it's only 8 feet away.
    If you live in the sticks and have a 2x2 or 3x3 2.4GH AP, it would be the same.

Distance (signal attenuation) and interference are large factors as to whether they will perform the same or different. If you have no neighbours, both can use 40MHz channels. If you have lots, 2.4Ghz will only be in 20Mhz mode with co-channel interference and the 5GHz will likely stay 40MHz and less interference.
    05-06-15 08:20 PM
    If you live in the sticks and have a 2x2 or 3x3 2.4GH AP, it would be the same.

Distance (signal attenuation) and interference are large factors as to whether they will perform the same or different. If you have no neighbours, both can use 40MHz channels. If you have lots, 2.4Ghz will only be in 20Mhz mode with co-channel interference and the 5GHz will likely stay 40MHz and less interference.
    I do have a lot of close neighbors, but my test was bad anyway because the kids were home and were most likely using the 2.4ghz connection, I'll try tomorrow when they're at school.

Actually I tried again on the 2.4ghz after verifying I was the only one using the connection

22.19 mbs Avg
    69.45 mbs Max
    05-06-15 10:29 PM
    True, I guess I need to accept reality because BB seems to have left me in another world... ROFL

But this is exactly my point, "anymore"... They left their roots and got drowned in a foreign sea... But like Cadillac and their sports car, because you made a mistake doesn't mean you have to keep making that same mistake. Learn from your mistakes and know that anyone seeking a cheap phone isn't looking at shop blackberry. Get real...

This is like Bentley trying to increase market share by targeting rental care agencies...

And don't say "nobody" because I paid a premium for my Classic and many here paid even more for their PP. And when people see I carry a BB, the last thing I want is it associated with some cheap, POS Leap their friend had that had that was gutless and featureless (cheap).

Anyone here old enough to remember the old Magnavox slogan, "Quality goes in before the name goes on..." I guess I did lose sight of reality...
    Point taken. Thank you. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 12:09 AM
    If blackberry made a laptop and put 10/100 Base T Ethernet port, I bet you guys would come and say that's great because nobody needs gigabit connection, plus nobody has gigabit Internet so it's useless and it drains battery.

I can't believe some of the posts justifying the lack of 5ghz in leap. Stop defending BlackBerry and just accept Leap is a budget device and 5ghz is missing and you agree that it's a shortcoming and you just don't care, but don't try to convince people that 5ghz is useless...

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    DrBoomBotz and eyesopen1111 like this.
    05-08-15 09:32 PM
    If blackberry made a laptop and put 10/100 Base T Ethernet port, I bet you guys would come and say that's great because nobody needs gigabit connection, plus nobody has gigabit Internet so it's useless and it drains battery.

I can't believe some of the posts justifying the lack of 5ghz in leap. Stop defending BlackBerry and just accept Leap is a budget device and 5ghz is missing and you agree that it's a shortcoming and you just don't care, but don't try to convince people that 5ghz is useless...

I speak for my case and my experience. If I traded my Z10 for a Leap, I wouldn't miss 5GHZ.
    I have had no positive experience with it so far.
    That bigger battery is way more important to me. That and Miracast.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-08-15 10:11 PM
    Nobody is saying 5ghz is useless but it has its own downfalls. It's great for stationary devices but could be problematic for portable devices. This is a great thread because it informs us to free up some airwaves by spreading out WiFi connections and partnering with the right device.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 03:01 AM

What a silly post. Of course I would say its great because gigabit does use more battery and the device wouldn't be able to make use of it. Why add unnecessary expense?

Your last part sounds like a whine. Your first and second sentence do not compute. Justifying the Leap without 5GHz IS accepting it as a budget device. Without quoting someone specific, you lost me at whatever point you are trying to make. Perhaps you should have quoted whoever you think said it was "useless". Otherwise, you are ignoring physics and use cases without contributing anything to the discussion.
    bruce73 likes this.
    05-10-15 03:27 AM
130 ... 23456