That's all. End rant.

Seriously tho, no 5G band!?
    This phone needs to be $199 asap

Posted via BlackBerry Passport on AT&T
    04-29-15 04:58 PM
    Lol it was a B.S. To begin with u should of never brought it

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 05:06 PM
    Read before you buy. All product specifications are listed on BlackBerry's website.

How horrible is no 5Ghz band support? I'm curious.
    04-29-15 05:09 PM
    Read before you buy. All product specifications are listed on BlackBerry's website.

Speed wise it's not the end of the world but it makes no sense for a new device. It's like buying a new car with no keyless entry.
    04-29-15 05:13 PM
    My Leap works great no regrets here at all.

Using my Leap!
    04-29-15 05:21 PM
    Thanks for clarifying the 5Ghz. I thought the OP was making a sarcastic joke about BBRY not being prepared for 5G cell service... in 2020...

5G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-29-15 05:22 PM
    It's like buying a new car with no keyless entry.
    We just bought a Fiesta without keyless entry. The two seconds a day it takes me to key the door open is offset by not having that stupid big keyfob in my pocket all day long. Pros and cons to everything...
    04-29-15 05:29 PM
    I hear ya guys. I did the research (guess not enough). But its 2015, thought it all phones would be able to connect to a dual band 5 GHz router.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport on AT&T
    04-29-15 06:35 PM
    We just bought a Fiesta without keyless entry. The two seconds a day it takes me to key the door open is offset by not having that stupid big keyfob in my pocket all day long. Pros and cons to everything...
    Like I said, not the end of the world!!!

I bought a new DLink router less than a year ago with no 5 ghz and don't plan to buy a new one soon so wouldn't matter to me...

But you have to admit, no keyless entry is rare these days...
    04-29-15 06:50 PM
    Like I said, not the end of the world!!!

I bought a new DLink router less than a year ago with no 5 ghz and don't plan to buy a new one soon so wouldn't matter to me...

But you have to admit, no keyless entry is rare these days...
    The whole setup is weird, but works pretty well. It's got power locks, just not remote. One turn unlocks the driver's door, turn it again to unlock the others. There is no way to lock or unlock the doors from inside the door. Instead there's a button in the center of the dash that can lock/unlock them all. Obviously not their flagship vehicle...
    04-29-15 07:14 PM
    I was surprised too. Using reg WiFi ain't the end of the world but when you buy a device and it doesn't come the latest in connectivity you feel like you got slighted.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    04-29-15 08:21 PM
    I only have had less than stellar experience with 5G WiFi over 2.4G. I actually don't even use it anymore. It is not faster than 2.4G, in fact it is worse.
    Your mileage may be different. To me 5G WiFi is an epic fail

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and undone like this.
    04-29-15 08:26 PM
    I was surprised too. Using reg WiFi ain't the end of the world but when you buy a device and it doesn't come the latest in connectivity you feel like you got slighted.

Posted via CB10
    True but then again this is a midrange device, not a flagship by any stretch. Not really a surprise.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and jaydee5799 like this.
    04-29-15 08:43 PM
    What???? No 5ghz? Damn! Guess I will move to a fruit phone! Oops! Nevermind, I have my Passport! Whew, was worried there for a sec!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 08:47 PM
    5ghz can barely go through cardboard. You're not missing much.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Tab 4
    04-29-15 08:53 PM
    A car with a sieze engine
    04-29-15 09:06 PM
    5ghz can barely go through cardboard. You're not missing much.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Tab 4
    I guess I can't miss what I never had... Guess they're still working out the bugs because higher freq's should go further with less power.
    04-29-15 09:12 PM
    Agree. 5ghz is over rated. I have a Mac, iPad, samsung Tab and Passport that support this frequency and I have to be close to the router at all time or it will drop reception as soon as I go to another room. The speed is misleading also as it isn't that much faster then wireless N 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz is more stable, better walls penetration and can reach farther around the house.

All my devices even with 5Ghz AC capable is set to wireless N 2.4ghz for better connectivity. You can still stream a 4K video on 2.4ghz perfectly find so you're not missing out much.

I only have had less than stellar experience with 5G WiFi over 2.4G. I actually don't even use it anymore. It is not faster than 2.4G, in fact it is worse.
    Your mileage may be different. To me 5G WiFi is an epic fail

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 09:41 PM
    As others have said... 5ghz is vastly over hyped... major issue I have found is reliability of signal strength is wanting... Stop using it as it suffered major drop off compared to 2.4ghz... all my devices use 2.4 ghz now......another good example of the latest and the greatest is not always the case... Functionality is the key and in my abode at least 5ghz just does not cut it...
    04-29-15 09:56 PM
    It's getting better and better and I can't believe people can justify that a wireless device not having 5ghz support in 2015 and still expect people to buy that device for more money instead of better Z30.

BlackBerry Pulled a real quick one with this Leap business.

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    04-29-15 10:18 PM
    I guess I can't miss what I never had... Guess they're still working out the bugs because higher freq's should go further with less power.
    This is actually a common misconception. It is the opposite way around. Lower frequencies penetrate better and need less power.
    As an example is OTA TV reception.
    One station broadcasts on channel 45 and needs about a 1,000KW to reach my house 75 miles away. The other station puts out only 10KW at channel 8 to do the same.
    Common 5GHZ routers only put out about 100mW nowadays, about the same as the 2.4GHZ range. So that's why the 2.4 reaches further. Now the theoretical bandwidth on 5GHZ is much higher, but only really close by.

This whole thing is actually just a gimmick more or less.
    The only thing accomplished with it is a less crowded environment, because of less interference between neighbors.

On the other hand I had never really had these kind of problems, even in a crowded neighborhood.
    I had way more issues using the 5GHZ Band.
    Best thing I did was getting a 2005 model Belkin router, which back then put out nearly 700mW. No range problems here.
    The other

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-29-15 10:18 PM
    Another case of "everything we don't have is overrated".
    04-29-15 10:19 PM
    Sure I heard LTE and bright screen draws a lot of power, maybe they should have removed LTE and dim the screen or even use lower resolution on screen.

If you ever tried to transfer files over WiFi to any device you'd see how much faster 5ghz is. Now phones are coming with 802.11AC, yet BB's latest device is missing 5GHZ and costs more.

04-29-15 10:21 PM
    Another case of "everything we don't have is overrated".
    I have it on my Z10, and I do consider it overrated in my experience. I purposely do not use the 5GHZ band.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and lift like this.
    04-29-15 10:21 PM
    Sure I heard LTE and bright screen draws a lot of power, maybe they should have removed LTE and dim the screen or even use lower resolution on screen.

If you ever tried to transfer files over WiFi to any device you'd see how much faster 5ghz is. Now phones are coming with 802.11AC, yet BB's latest device is missing 5GHZ and costs more.

I transferred files on both bands to and from my PC sitting 5 feet away from that fancy Netgear router and I have never seen speeds above 27Mbps on either. In fact the 5GHZ often craps out for whatever reason.
    Either that fancy router is garbage or the Z10 is, or both. I have never seen anything near the theoretical speeds that are supposed to be possible.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-29-15 10:26 PM
130 123 ...