So I am considering getting my first Blackberry after many years with an iPhone. Call it iFatigue.

I am just your average consumer. I text, email, check out Facebook, get the weather and make the occasional call. Defiantly not the young power executive the Leap is aimed at. Sorry.

Many here say that the Z30 is the better option. My main concern with that is I am buying a 2 year old phone and keeping it for another two. Will BB still be supporting and updating the Z30 in two years?

To all the Leap detractors, why shouldn't I consider this phone? What am I missing?

Cheers
    04-17-15 01:58 PM
    Well, if you're on Verizon, that's a fundamental problem with the Leap.

Other than that, the Z30 has HDMI output, a slight bump in processor clock speed and a LED screen. The Leap has no video out, the same processor as the Z10 and a LCD screen. So the Leap is a tad slower and doesn't have video output (not terribly relevant), but on the other hand, it can be used outside on a bright day.

In the real world, they have the same screen size, same battery and same general size. Buying direct from BlackBerry, the Leap is cheaper than the Z30.
    04-17-15 02:37 PM
    The Z30 and the Leap have really similar specs and price; I wouldn't say either one is way better than the other. I own (and love) my Z30, and see no reason to "upgrade" to a Leap but if I was coming from another platform I don't think the Leap is a bad decision! I can't see BlackBerry stopping support for the Z30 (or any BB10 phone) anytime soon. The Leap doesn't have NFC or USB On The Go, neither of which I use on my Z30. The Leap doesn't look as sleek in my opinion but it looks like it could withstand a few more slips/trips/falls than the Z30.

There's my two cents, I'm sure others will disagree with me.
    04-17-15 02:37 PM
    The Z30 is a better phone than the Leap. The pricing is confusing people because you can get a Z30 for less than the release pricing of the Leap.

The Leap will be cheaper within 60 days. This is not a knock on BlackBerry; this is common throughout the mobile industry.

The Z30 has better graphics, NFC, HDMI-out, and USB On The Go. There is a chance you may prefer the Leap's LCD screen to the Z30's OLED, but they're the same resolution and the OLED screen uses less battery.
    04-17-15 02:44 PM
    So I am considering getting my first Blackberry after many years with an iPhone. Call it iFatigue.

I am just your average consumer. I text, email, check out Facebook, get the weather and make the occasional call. Defiantly not the young power executive the Leap is aimed at. Sorry.

Many here say that the Z30 is the better option. My main concern with that is I am buying a 2 year old phone and keeping it for another two. Will BB still be supporting and updating the Z30 in two years?

To all the Leap detractors, why shouldn't I consider this phone? What am I missing?

Cheers
    Z30 is better phone than leap but considering it comes with inbuilt latest OS take the leap. And the leap has better screen display. If you are coming from an iPhone you will be really depressed at z30 display.
    Its your choice and the ceo john chen said that they will be giving is 10.3.2 update to the leap.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 08:51 PM
    Hard to say without a hands on experience with a phone not available yet, but that aside, it sounds like you would be fine with the Leap with what you are using it for. Had you said you wanted to connect your new BlackBerry to a big screen to watch videos or movies, then I would have recommended the Z30!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-17-15 09:18 PM
    No point to upgrade/shift from Z30 to leap. I have been using Z30 for more than one and half year and BB doesn't have replacement of it. It's pitty situation.
    04-17-15 09:20 PM
    The pricing is confusing people because you can get a Z30 for less than the release pricing of the Leap.
    I keep hearing this; it may be true in the USA or Canada, but isn't true in the UK. The Leap is less than half the price of the Z30 over here, when bought from ShopBlackBerry. Even when the Z30s were heavily discounted, they were still 80 more expensive than the Leap is today.
    04-17-15 09:34 PM

Cheers
    I'm sure blackberry will support the Z30 for a while longer. The leap spec isn't too far off from the Z30. Just as long as their old hardware meets required specs for every OS increments it takes minimal resource to implement the current OS to older hardware.

Btw, the Z10 is over 2 years old and Blackberry still released OS 10.3 for it. You should be grateful Blackberry does support their phones this long because the last I checked Samsung loyalists are complaining they are lucky if they even get 2 updates ever.

Long live the most delicious fruit on the planet.
    Last edited by thymaster; 04-17-15 at 10:58 PM.
    04-17-15 10:48 PM
    The Z30 display blows, coming from an iPhone this will be aparent. However there are many people on these forums who have gone from a Z10 (which has a better display than the iPhone) to a Z30 and have been quite content.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 02:41 PM