All of you are leap owners. What made you buy leap over a phone that was miles ahead of leap; Z30

Z30 had an amoled display, so using black background would save battery.

Z30 had speakers that no other BlackBerry phone right now can match.

Z30 had better specs

Z30 had a glass weave back and we all know how awesome glass weave feels in the hand.

Z30 looks like a flagship device... it looks premium

At the time of Leap's launch... Z30 and leap were similarly priced.
    And yet you all bought leap...

Lets have all the reasons flowing in.

Posted via my nokia 3310 (the old one)
    04-12-17 11:37 PM
    The only positive of the leap over the z30 was the much brighter screen. The z30 is hard to use under sunlight.

Also I think it supported more frequencies
    04-13-17 12:46 AM
    The only positive of the leap over the z30 was the much brighter screen. The z30 is hard to use under sunlight.

Also I think it supported more frequencies
    Mine works fine as long as I use dark theme.

04-13-17 02:34 AM
    Z30 didn't have all the LTE bands that Leap did. Since the AT&T Z30 was never released, I couldn't get LTE on the shopblackberry factory unlocked Z30. The factory unlocked Leap had all the AT&T LTE bands.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 06:54 AM
    Yes, much better LTE support on the Leap, brighter screen, and some argue a more modern look.

Z30s were hard to find when the Leap came out.
    04-13-17 06:57 AM
    Yes, much better LTE support on the Leap, brighter screen, and some argue a more modern look.

Z30s were hard to find when the Leap came out.
    Leap looks so cheap and plasticky... whereas Z30 has a metal thing on the sides and a metallic chin as well. It has a nice carbon fibre back... really grippy and looks gorgeous...

Leap looks like someone took a nexus 6p wrote leap on the side of the camera vizor with correction fluid. dipped the phone in plastic and added 7 blobs of silver on the back.

04-13-17 10:25 AM
    Leap looks so cheap and plasticky... whereas Z30 has a metal thing on the sides and a metallic chin as well. It has a nice carbon fibre back... really grippy and looks gorgeous...

Leap looks like someone took a nexus 6p wrote leap on the side of the camera vizor with correction fluid. dipped the phone in plastic and added 7 blobs of silver on the back.

Aesthetics are a matter of opinion.

I know several people that got a Leap to replace their Z30 because of looks alone.
    04-13-17 10:26 AM

So what if LTE bands were missing..

Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 10:27 AM
    Actually the z30 was all plastic. I know because I dropped mine enough times to break it and take it apart
    04-13-17 10:31 AM
    Bought the Leap for larger screen and better battery life compared to my Z10 now over four years old, i still use it but battery Life is not the best, the Leap has a good battery life lasts two days with my personal use, screen is bright and it has good call quality and fast Internet on 4G LTE, the plastic build is solid and has good grip, makes a good work phone as it takes a few knocks and still looks good and was low price when I purchased It.
    04-13-17 04:18 PM
    Maybe their other phone mysteriously drowned?
    04-14-17 01:15 AM
    Aesthetics are a matter of opinion.

I know several people that got a Leap to replace their Z30 because of looks alone.
    I agree with you. The Leap design is much more attractive. The screen is a lot better. And with BB10, I'm not sure that the slight bump in specs matters much.

Posted via CB10
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    04-14-17 01:37 AM
    Maybe their other phone mysteriously drowned?
    Yeah mysteriously... but if they already owned a BlackBerry device then i dont see a reason for them to drown.

04-14-17 02:54 AM
    imo the leap looks better than z30, I'm considering getting one to use as back up phone/toy =)
    04-14-17 10:41 AM
    Is the Leap faster than the z30 on the daily use (loop, browser, photos, etc..)?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-17 05:04 PM
    Is the Leap faster than the z30 on the daily use (loop, browser, photos, etc..)?

Posted via CB10
    No, i have used both but leap is a beat slower than Z30

04-14-17 09:27 PM
    No, i have used both but leap is a beat slower than Z30

Thanks for your reply man. And in terms of battery?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-17 10:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply man. And in terms of battery?

Posted via CB10
    You won't notice any difference in day to day performance. Only gaming will differ because of the superior GPU in the Z30.

Battery is comparable.
    04-14-17 10:41 PM
    Leap is slow. Swipe up sometime doesn't work or need more swipe to work out.
    04-15-17 12:42 AM
    Thanks a lot guys for your answers.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-17 03:03 AM
    I just got a Leap and the Z30 is not available anymore new (that I could find at least).
    04-19-17 12:22 PM
    Lte coverage was the deciding factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-17 01:01 PM
    I just got a Leap and the Z30 is not available anymore new (that I could find at least).
    Plenty available in the Marketplace.
    04-24-17 01:04 PM
    Z30 had an amoled display, so using black background would save battery.
    Z30 had speakers that no other BlackBerry phone right now can match.
    Z30 had better specs
    Z30 had a glass weave back and we all know how awesome glass weave feels in the hand.
    Z30 looks like a flagship device... it looks premium
    At the time of Leap's launch... Z30 and leap were similarly priced.
    And yet you all bought leap...
    I've used both devices over extended periods of time; my Z30 is still kicking and now used by my wife. I bought the Leap on launch as a travel device, something I could watch Netflix or play games on. Point by point:

A) There are pros and cons to both screens although ultimately the differences are negligible for everyday use. I do find the Leap is so much better on brighter, sunnier days than the Z30;

B) You're right, the speakers on the Z30 are far superior to pretty much anything around at the time of launch but that doesn't mean that the Leap's speakers suck, they're more than adequate. For me, how good the speakers are is a moot point as I always use a headset for everything; games, movies, voice calls, etc. Through good headsets/buds there is no difference at all;

C) Yes, the Z30 is better spec-ed but as BB10 is such a compact and resource light OS the 2GB memory and a reasonable chip is all that's needed. If there is a difference in performance due to specs then it's unperceivable in everyday use, measurable only by dedicated apps. As to game play, I've had some minor flutters at times but nothing that has interrupted my enjoyment of the game and I've never seen any additional buffering watching HD movies, etc;

D) The glass weave back has never been a winner in my books. It looks great and is a great talking point but it's not particularly grippy. There have been many complaints about the lack of grip with the glass weave backs especially if your hands are slightly moist with sweat. The rubber back of the Leap wins hands down here, just its grippiness alone. Another issue with the glass weave back is that it's prone to fraying with age especially if you've scuffed it at some point. I never scuffed mine and always kept it in a leather sleeve and by the time I passed it over to my wife the bottom corners of the Z30 were showing signs of wear and are now fraying;

E) Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. You find the Z30 to be an attractive device and I happen to agree with you, but that doesn't mean that it's a better device. How a device looks may come into my decision making process but it's not in my top 10 of reasons I should buy one device over another;

F) Not entirely sure what price has to do with anything, you started this thread on April 12, 2017, that's 25 months since the Leap was first launched and 56 months since the Z30 first saw the light of day. Today, you can't buy a new Z30 and if you find one I can guarantee that it'll be more expensive than a new Leap, and there are a few of those around if you know where to look. If you're looking for a Z30 these days, all you can find are used. If you're lucky enough to find a factory reconditioned one with a warranty you will pay over the odds for it.

There are plenty of reasons someone would choose a Leap over a Z30 and vice versa. Personally, I think the Z30 is the best phone I've ever owned but it was, just like every other device out there, flawed. But in everyday use, the only meaningful measure there is, there really isn't much of a difference between the Z30 and a Leap.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 05-01-17 at 12:05 PM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-01-17 09:57 AM
    The BlackBerry Z30 was launched as a flagship and priced that way too, albeit a year or two older and cheaper when the leap was released. That alone put me off! Moreover, it was still sold at a premium in RSA. I don't like buying second hands, it takes away the excitement of unboxing a new gadget. I am in the market for the latest (latest being the operative word) mid range smartphone. If I happen to purchase a flagship smartphone it must be the latest!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-17 02:35 PM
26 12