04-22-15 03:08 PM
55 123
tools
    Not everyone wants the latest and greatest. When John said that they sell 2 Classic for every Passport, it tells me that the actual demand is not reflected by fans. The Classic is the Q10 with a toolbelt.

The Leap is their mainstream phone. The one to go with BES subscriptions. The one for carriers to give away with a plan. The one to help get BB10 adoption numbers higher. The one to help get BlackBerry's name out there.

Sure the Z10 & Z30 may be better in some aspects and cost the same but those phones are two years old. The Leap give it the slight refresh to make apps run faster and provide longer battery life. All at potentially low cost for BlackBerry.

This is what BlackBerry needs. Small risks at various niches to see what works. They got the Passport for high end with limited success. The Classic is for the physical keyboard small form factor people. The Leap is for the mainstream all touch option. The "slider" is going to be the next flagship. If the Leap doesn't do well, they will make a note that this niche is bad and move on. I guess it is one of those benefits when you have small marketshare, you get to experiment with little risk. Imagine if Apple did the same? Samsung does it all the time and that's how their Note line of phones got found.

Just because YOU are not the target audience doesn't mean you have to bad mouth it. It just makes you look bad if you are a BlackBerry supporter.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 09:42 AM
    Well said

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-15-15 09:44 AM
    Nothing wrong with it. Problem is a lot of Z10 and Z30 owners would like an iPhone 6-like high end touch BlackBerry. Not only did they not get it, there isn't even one coming in 2015. Frustrating.

For me my only hope is the "slider" later this year is high end. I would be ok to upgrade to that.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    vanrickman, Gordash and amjass12 like this.
    04-15-15 10:26 AM
    I agree. In a house of 3-Z10. We added a Z30 a couple of days ago. Although there are some benefits to the Z30 over the Z10, mostly battery life, the overall consensus has been "it operates and functions the same as the Z10". Although the Z30 is up for grabs, nobody has the desire to give up their Z10 and set everything up again on the Z30. It looks like my son who uses his phone mostly for gaming is the closest to switching.

The point being, I suspect the Leap would offer the same overall BB10 experience and the leading edge specs some demand simply doesn't add much value to justify another $250 or $300 to the price.

If I was starting out getting phones for my children, this would be it. In fact I will most likely replace my employees' phones to the leap when the time comes. No need spending $600 to find out they dropped it a week after getting it.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 10:40 AM
    Nothing is wrong with a cheap phone. There are plenty of cheap phones based on 2012 era Qualicom chipsets like what's in the Leap and the Z10/Z30. Low-end devices often use older hardware and BlackBerry/RIM are notorious for using dated hardware specs on "new" phones.

What people tend to feel is "wrong with" the Leap is that it offers less value than the already existing Z30, so why did BlackBerry even bother making the Leap? They could have just made more Z30s and made some other phone, such as a quad core all touch that runs CyanogenMod in a hypervisor, instead of the Leap.

The Leap isn't a bad device, it's a device that just didn't make any sense for BlackBerry to make.
    04-15-15 10:48 AM
    Totally agree w/ OP.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:15 AM
    Not everyone wants the latest and greatest. When John said that they sell 2 Classic for every Passport, it tells me that the actual demand is not reflected by fans. The Classic is the Q10 with a toolbelt.

The Leap is their mainstream phone. The one to go with BES subscriptions. The one for carriers to give away with a plan. The one to help get BB10 adoption numbers higher. The one to help get BlackBerry's name out there.

Sure the Z10 & Z30 may be better in some aspects and cost the same but those phones are two years old. The Leap give it the slight refresh to make apps run faster and provide longer battery life. All at potentially low cost for BlackBerry.

This is what BlackBerry needs. Small risks at various niches to see what works. They got the Passport for high end with limited success. The Classic is for the physical keyboard small form factor people. The Leap is for the mainstream all touch option. The "slider" is going to be the next flagship. If the Leap doesn't do well, they will make a note that this niche is bad and move on. I guess it is one of those benefits when you have small marketshare, you get to experiment with little risk. Imagine if Apple did the same? Samsung does it all the time and that's how their Note line of phones got found.

Just because YOU are not the target audience doesn't mean you have to bad mouth it. It just makes you look bad if you are a BlackBerry supporter.

Posted via CB10
    Well said!! I don't know why some paid people log in to CB and start building perceptions. Leap is good phone and its marketing strategy to give phone for every age and for different budgets. Same thing followd by automobile industry, corrola to Mercedes.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:36 AM
    There are twenty Glaxies from samsung and nobody bash them!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 11:38 AM
    There's nothing 'wrong' with a 'cheap' BlackBerry but just one of the most up to date scenario:

1. Lumia 640 is just out in some EU and other ??? markets, do a comparison because it sort of re-defines 'cheap' with better specs (quite near Z30's).

2. That's the general smartphone user's opinion and IMO it's a quite accurate.

On the other hand, quite a large majority of Z10/ Z30 users are waiting for an upgrade device - that's the issue for the current users - but not for BlackBerry as a company (at least they think / say so) - that led to the semi whining threads about Leap - and that led to the OP's question.......

 Q5 / Z30
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-15-15 12:00 PM
    If the z10 and 30 were still full price then the leap would be a good deal but they aren't. I picked up a new z30 for $219 Canadian a couple weeks ago. The leap is an award fit for the consumer right now but hopefully we will see good corporate sales.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 12:37 PM
    After examining the specs on the Leap, I think it's a great device!

Even better is the fact that BlackBerry listened to my suggestion about bringing to light an extended warranty plan like Apple has!

Great job BlackBerry! Great job John Chen!

Keep up the good work.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-15-15 01:33 PM
    Well said
    04-15-15 02:14 PM
    Agreed. Me personally. It's like blackberry spit in the face of the loyal touchscreen fans. Come out with a high end replacement for the loyals and then the low end leap for the newbies/blackberry users that just want something new but really not
    Last edited by mikedolo; 04-15-15 at 02:37 PM.
    04-15-15 02:16 PM
    The only thing wrong with it is that's not really cheap. It's at least $50 (maybe even $80) above where the "cheap" mark stays these days, for the same specs.
    04-15-15 02:23 PM
    ^^^ True.

But corporate customers would get bulk = discounted pricing. Already mentioned in other threads.

 Q5 / Z30
    bruce73 likes this.
    04-15-15 02:24 PM
    It is OK if the plan is for it to drop quickly to $150. $125 would be more fitting.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-15-15 02:44 PM
    That's how much the leap should cost too. Lower end phone and all
    04-15-15 02:47 PM
    Sad thing is some in the CB community once the Leap is mentioned they start squawking about a slider or how they hate the Leap.

A friend of mine had a review unit for the Leap and its actually quite good.

Could just do without the whining about sliders...it'll come. Relax.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    04-15-15 06:50 PM
    Having a sliding mechanism on a phone is just more crap to go wrong with it.

The Leap doesn't have too much that can go wrong with it, other than a person dropping it.

04-15-15 07:06 PM
    A lot for people that hang out here. Nothing for those who don't besides maybe they can get another phone cheaper.
    04-15-15 07:28 PM
    I tell you what's wrong: Leap isn't cheap. In fact it is quite expensive .
    04-16-15 03:33 AM
    300euro for the Leap is expensive!

240euro for the Lumia 640XL LTE Dual-SIM is okay! Even has nice Camera

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    04-16-15 03:43 AM
    There is no compass (Gyroscope) on this device...What is the point in spending this kind of money if it has a few less things on it than a Z30?

I don't get it.

04-16-15 05:15 AM
    Agreed. Me personally. It's like blackberry spit in the face of the loyal touchscreen fans.
    But this phone isn't even made or marketed for such people?

This is a cheap business phone for start-up businesses and fleet phones. It's not even marketed towards enthusiasts so why are you folks even getting so upset over it.

You are basically criticizing a tradesmen's cargo van for not being sporty or fast enough. Stick with products that are actually made for you.

Posted via Z10
    Publisher1963 and bruce73 like this.
    04-16-15 05:35 AM
    Is there much of a difference between the Z3 and the Leap? They look all the same to me.

Posted with my Amazing  Passport
    04-16-15 05:49 AM
55 123