Blackberry sucks in naming their devices.

Posted via CB10
    devin266 likes this.
    03-09-15 07:20 AM
    Blackberry sucks in naming their devices.

Posted via CB10
    Let's see you come up with a better name.

Apart from that I'll be getting one of these for my mom
    Hurry up and release it Blackberry!!!

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    tvst28 likes this.
    03-10-15 02:58 PM
    They used to have better names like curve, and bold.
    03-10-15 11:44 PM
    It is leap up from this one . What do you think of the BlackBerry Leap name?-tmobile870045.jpg
    03-11-15 06:19 AM
    The name is good. But the device has intermediate specs. It should be named after those high spec one!

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 06:41 AM
    Should be Z20.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    03-11-15 04:22 PM
    It should have been the BlackBerry Meh.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    03-11-15 04:32 PM
    The name is horrific. Just ranted a bit about it in the comments of the Z30 sale. Hoping the US store gets the Z30. I thought I'd warm up to it, the Leap is geared towards me (want to purchase outright for a decent price, young professional, etc.). Problem is the two year old Z30 is better in almost every way. This should have been equivalent and named with a respectful name. I can't imagine being at work saying it's the new Leap when asked. Or when you have people on all social media giving BlackBerry free advertising using *posted from the BlackBerry Passport/Classic*... both great names, I'd be hiding this one. Just stopped in here and I can't believe this is the official name. Why???

It's ridiculous for a company going for professionals. Sounds like a child's toy of some sort. The only way the Leap could have worked is if it was some revolutionary high end device and even in that case the name would have been a buzzkill. I actually like the design of the phone a lot. Would have bought myself one, upgraded my family from Z10s, but I'm just pretending a new BlackBerry device named the Leap doesn't even exist. Haven't been following anything about this and hoping to get a new white Z30 this year before stock runs out. Since CrackBerry will be getting more stock, maybe a US sale is in the cards for the Z30. I'd definitely be in for a white Z30!

Posted via CB10
    devin266, mighthor and claneyy like this.
    03-17-15 09:46 PM
    It's a leap backwards - both in time and intelligence.
    03-18-15 07:30 PM
    The name is horrific. Just ranted a bit about it in the comments of the Z30 sale. Hoping the US store gets the Z30. I thought I'd warm up to it, the Leap is geared towards me (want to purchase outright for a decent price, young professional, etc.). Problem is the two year old Z30 is better in almost every way. This should have been equivalent and named with a respectful name. I can't imagine being at work saying it's the new Leap when asked. Or when you have people on all social media giving BlackBerry free advertising using *posted from the BlackBerry Passport/Classic*... both great names, I'd be hiding this one. Just stopped in here and I can't believe this is the official name. Why???

It's ridiculous for a company going for professionals. Sounds like a child's toy of some sort. The only way the Leap could have worked is if it was some revolutionary high end device and even in that case the name would have been a buzzkill. I actually like the design of the phone a lot. Would have bought myself one, upgraded my family from Z10s, but I'm just pretending a new BlackBerry device named the Leap doesn't even exist. Haven't been following anything about this and hoping to get a new white Z30 this year before stock runs out. Since CrackBerry will be getting more stock, maybe a US sale is in the cards for the Z30. I'd definitely be in for a white Z30!

Posted via CB10
    As a Blackberry user from the first day they launched I find myself sadly agreeing with you. The whole phone is so wrong in every way from the dumb name to the low awful specs at a price which does not only reflect poorly but is clearly aimed at a higher earning professional who would expect more value for money less the toy name.

It should of been called "LeapLess" in fact that name might be too good thinking about it heheh. Anyway it is just awful and I can only think it's a cheap branding scam but to what end I don't know.

Just out of interest do you like the Z30 or have you considered a Passport or a Classic or is price based with the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 06:43 AM
    The name Leap for this phone is stupid! Plain and simple. They couldn't come up with anything else? I wonder sometimes what they are thinking when they come up with names for devices. They could of called it the Rio or something like that, but LEAP with the specs it has. It's a joke!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:21 AM
    It doesn't matter what the name of an individual handsets "Leap or other" but, the matter is that it come from world famous Brand BlackBerry. So, I like it.

Thanks
    03-19-15 03:14 PM
    As the owner of several LEAPfrog devices. Not really thrilled with the name.
    03-19-15 03:20 PM
    As a Blackberry user from the first day they launched I find myself sadly agreeing with you. The whole phone is so wrong in every way from the dumb name to the low awful specs at a price which does not only reflect poorly but is clearly aimed at a higher earning professional who would expect more value for money less the toy name.

It should of been called "LeapLess" in fact that name might be too good thinking about it heheh. Anyway it is just awful and I can only think it's a cheap branding scam but to what end I don't know.

Just out of interest do you like the Z30 or have you considered a Passport or a Classic or is price based with the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    Obviously I agree completely. Thought I might get some hate for being too harsh. The name just doesn't work for the device. BlackBerry says it's an affordable device for young professionals, but as superficial as it may be I would hate to say I have a Leap when somebody asks what phone is that. If it is meant to be a cheaper device for larger sales from enterprise/corporate customers the name is still a mess. I don't know where or how this device name came from, but as others have stated BlackBerry would have been better off leaving it as the BlackBerry Rio. Done.

Since you asked my opinion on the Z30, I love it still. It remains competitive with other high end devices such as with the iPhone 6 with advantages in Blend, stereo speakers, etc. With the current price of the Z30 it's an amazing quality buy. This is, what, like two years after the initial release. I currently have a white Z30 purchased on sale for under $300, but dropped once while in the leather pouch and shattered the screen which I replaced myself with a black screen (all I could find cheap at the time). I would have been happy if BlackBerry repackaged the Z30 instead of working on a lower spec device and calling it a Leap.

For work I use the HDMI out almost all of the time as I have been doing groups and my patients enjoy content I wouldn't be able to provide them without HDMI. I'm not sure if this device has NFC, HDMI, and others which put the Z30 as an awesome device for the price in my opinion. Maybe I'm not quite the target for this device, but based on what has come out of BlackBerry, I would think I would be ideal to pick this device up.

The Passport is an innovative cool device along with the name and I think the Classic serves its purpose and is named well also even if the Classic is not for me (never was a keyboard fan). In reality though, a nice $300 unlocked device is perfect for my needs with Z30 specs so I can be more productive at work with BB10. I also understand that the Z30 wasn't meant to be a $300 device, but it is what it is now and I get things done at home and at work with the Z30 and wish the Leap was at least equivalent and not a step down from that experience. The design is nice and as a repackaged Z30 with a different name I'd definitely be all over this. With some of the low to mid range Android devices out with higher end specs, I really don't think that's asking too much.

Back to the name... how can Chen go from releasing the awesomeness of the Passport, then having the history to use the coveted "Classic" name, to the BlackBerry Leap... really cmon! Maybe it'll grow on me, just don't see it happening. Will hopefully be able to purchase a new white Z30 on sale before stock runs out!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 12:54 AM
    Obviously I agree completely. Thought I might get some hate for being too harsh. The name just doesn't work for the device. BlackBerry says it's an affordable device for young professionals, but as superficial as it may be I would hate to say I have a Leap when somebody asks what phone is that. If it is meant to be a cheaper device for larger sales from enterprise/corporate customers the name is still a mess. I don't know where or how this device name came from, but as others have stated BlackBerry would have been better off leaving it as the BlackBerry Rio. Done.

Since you asked my opinion on the Z30, I love it still. It remains competitive with other high end devices such as with the iPhone 6 with advantages in Blend, stereo speakers, etc. With the current price of the Z30 it's an amazing quality buy. This is, what, like two years after the initial release. I currently have a white Z30 purchased on sale for under $300, but dropped once while in the leather pouch and shattered the screen which I replaced myself with a black screen (all I could find cheap at the time). I would have been happy if BlackBerry repackaged the Z30 instead of working on a lower spec device and calling it a Leap.

For work I use the HDMI out almost all of the time as I have been doing groups and my patients enjoy content I wouldn't be able to provide them without HDMI. I'm not sure if this device has NFC, HDMI, and others which put the Z30 as an awesome device for the price in my opinion. Maybe I'm not quite the target for this device, but based on what has come out of BlackBerry, I would think I would be ideal to pick this device up.

The Passport is an innovative cool device along with the name and I think the Classic serves its purpose and is named well also even if the Classic is not for me (never was a keyboard fan). In reality though, a nice $300 unlocked device is perfect for my needs with Z30 specs so I can be more productive at work with BB10. I also understand that the Z30 wasn't meant to be a $300 device, but it is what it is now and I get things done at home and at work with the Z30 and wish the Leap was at least equivalent and not a step down from that experience. The design is nice and as a repackaged Z30 with a different name I'd definitely be all over this. With some of the low to mid range Android devices out with higher end specs, I really don't think that's asking too much.

Back to the name... how can Chen go from releasing the awesomeness of the Passport, then having the history to use the coveted "Classic" name, to the BlackBerry Leap... really cmon! Maybe it'll grow on me, just don't see it happening. Will hopefully be able to purchase a new white Z30 on sale before stock runs out!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I think the Z30 is a wonderful device it is not dated in my opinion and spec's aside which is not always that important, the Z30 is slick and stylish. I think is is good how you demonstrate how relevant a device that is a few yrs old almost is still more than current. To coin a phrase it "just works" maybe a new phrase just be it "will always work" :-).

I would of liked to see a revamped Z10 still called the Z10 beefed up or updated especially with improvements to the battery and screen resolution or better screen. I think the Z10 is also a great device and they should keep improving it in my opinion.

As for Chen his focus will be split into a few core areas such as financial stability, technology focus, investor relations, branding, that might seem obvious but it's never as simple as it looks and I do know about things like this. Chen has to make decisions on medium to long term so short plans might changing constantly to achieve the latter and that is why we might see strange things happen with the business!

So back to topic with the Leap I think it was really a short term plan which will effect the longer term plan hence why it might not sit well or come across correctly but it it's part of blackberry evolving as a new kick started company. Would be really interesting to sit in on one of their mission statement meetings or inspirational processes to see what drives the core business and technology teams!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 05:17 AM
    Leap sounds cheap same it looks, especially from the back when using in landscape.
    The Camera bar is completely missplaced and why the hell they write 8 MP on it.
    Looks so 2011.

And 300euro? lol can get z30 for 220

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    03-20-15 07:44 AM
    Honestly? Horrible, I mean, Rio is totally perfect! Why would they change/not using it? Instead using Leap, pfftt

Although a good name but without decent spec and price means nothing too

But Leap is not a good name plus doesn't have decent spec and price, bad combos

Posted by my awesome Lumia 530
    03-20-15 08:09 AM
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I think the Z30 is a wonderful device it is not dated in my opinion and spec's aside which is not always that important, the Z30 is slick and stylish. I think is is good how you demonstrate how relevant a device that is a few yrs old almost is still more than current. To coin a phrase it "just works" maybe a new phrase just be it "will always work" :-).

I would of liked to see a revamped Z10 still called the Z10 beefed up or updated especially with improvements to the battery and screen resolution or better screen. I think the Z10 is also a great device and they should keep improving it in my opinion.

As for Chen his focus will be split into a few core areas such as financial stability, technology focus, investor relations, branding, that might seem obvious but it's never as simple as it looks and I do know about things like this. Chen has to make decisions on medium to long term so short plans might changing constantly to achieve the latter and that is why we might see strange things happen with the business!

So back to topic with the Leap I think it was really a short term plan which will effect the longer term plan hence why it might not sit well or come across correctly but it it's part of blackberry evolving as a new kick started company. Would be really interesting to sit in on one of their mission statement meetings or inspirational processes to see what drives the core business and technology teams!

Posted via CB10
    I'd have to agree with you again regarding Chen having much more in working with the other "divisions" that BlackBerry has, not to mention all of the new partners/partnerships that have been announced. As we all know, Chen brought in a lot of talent that he knows and believes they can succeed yet again at another turnaround. At this point it is quite clear, at least to me, that BlackBerry is not going anywhere.

Unfortunately, the stock doesn't reflect the current value of BlackBerry let alone the future revenue streams in place. While management has their part, Chen is surely a busy man with all of the moving parts going on to get BlackBerry to not only be cash flow positive, but to grow their software and increase revenue. This discussion is more or less just referencing the hardware side of the business and with all of the surprises that have come out of BB, I would say we don't really know where the hardware side is going to end up.

That obviously would raise many more questions regarding any implementation of Android or licensing BB10. Possible further integration with Samsung or something completely different. I obviously have no idea. To your other point, I always thought the Z30 should have been named the Z10X which would allow two touch screen devices to further build on. Refreshing with a Z10II, Z10III, Z10XII, then Z10XIII, etc. more along the line of what both Apple and Samsung do with the iPhone and Galaxy series.

With TH as CEO targeting consumers or at least trying, the original Z10I and Z10XI (Z30) was what I thought would work best. Now with John Chen, we've had the Passport, Classic, and now Leap... I, like you, would love to really get in his head to see what possibilities and what direction the handset division is really going (along with everything else).

It seems the Leap has confused many. It is not cheap enough to compete with low cost Android devices, but I'm sure there are BlackBerry fans around the world that will enjoy the device for a reasonable price. I pretty much convinced myself that BlackBerry needed to get out an affordable all touch device for their enterprise customers to buy in bulk and make BlackBerry money which leads us to the end product in the Leap.

Chen did say he would not sell a single device for a loss even to enterprise customers so this is where I see the Leap making sense in filling that void. I still hate the name though and while BlackBerry is very fortunate to have John Chen on board, the management switching kinda messed up the cohesion with the naming schemes initated by TH; although they started to get odd with the Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30. I do think BlackBerry would be close to bankrupt if not parted out with old management still at the helm chasing the consumer market.

It was way too arrogant to expect to put out the Z10 and Q10 planning to sell on the BlackBerry name alone without much marketing and not realizing how damaged the name is in the US to the average consumer. I still remember TH before the Q10 launch stating they expect to sell tens of millions of devices.

We all need to take into account a lot that has happened at BB and accept the Leap for what it is. For me personally, I'm set on purchasing a new Z30 and will pass on the Leap based not only on name, but missing features as well. I still cannot comprehend the name of the device which is the question being asked here. I can list off at least ten other names that would have worked perfectly for this device.

I see BlackBerry has put up a design story on the Leap and it will be interesting if we ever get to know the logic in the naming of the Leap unless it is already out there and I missed it. The name Leap can infer so many different things and attached to this device I'm only seeing negatives, but on the other hand what do I know! The Passport and Classic names have clearly defined purposes and make complete sense unlike the Leap which is what kinda caught me by surprise when the name Leap was revealed.

Sorry for the long post, did want to touch on some of your points regarding other things going on within the company and the short versus long-term goals that may or may not be in place though :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:34 PM
    I'd have to agree with you again regarding Chen having much more in working with the other "divisions" that BlackBerry has, not to mention all of the new partners/partnerships that have been announced. As we all know, Chen brought in a lot of talent that he knows and believes they can succeed yet again at another turnaround. At this point it is quite clear, at least to me, that BlackBerry is not going anywhere.

Unfortunately, the stock doesn't reflect the current value of BlackBerry let alone the future revenue streams in place. While management has their part, Chen is surely a busy man with all of the moving parts going on to get BlackBerry to not only be cash flow positive, but to grow their software and increase revenue. This discussion is more or less just referencing the hardware side of the business and with all of the surprises that have come out of BB, I would say we don't really know where the hardware side is going to end up.

That obviously would raise many more questions regarding any implementation of Android or licensing BB10. Possible further integration with Samsung or something completely different. I obviously have no idea. To your other point, I always thought the Z30 should have been named the Z10X which would allow two touch screen devices to further build on. Refreshing with a Z10II, Z10III, Z10XII, then Z10XIII, etc. more along the line of what both Apple and Samsung do with the iPhone and Galaxy series.

With TH as CEO targeting consumers or at least trying, the original Z10I and Z10XI (Z30) was what I thought would work best. Now with John Chen, we've had the Passport, Classic, and now Leap... I, like you, would love to really get in his head to see what possibilities and what direction the handset division is really going (along with everything else).

It seems the Leap has confused many. It is not cheap enough to compete with low cost Android devices, but I'm sure there are BlackBerry fans around the world that will enjoy the device for a reasonable price. I pretty much convinced myself that BlackBerry needed to get out an affordable all touch device for their enterprise customers to buy in bulk and make BlackBerry money which leads us to the end product in the Leap.

Chen did say he would not sell a single device for a loss even to enterprise customers so this is where I see the Leap making sense in filling that void. I still hate the name though and while BlackBerry is very fortunate to have John Chen on board, the management switching kinda messed up the cohesion with the naming schemes initated by TH; although they started to get odd with the Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30. I do think BlackBerry would be close to bankrupt if not parted out with old management still at the helm chasing the consumer market.

It was way too arrogant to expect to put out the Z10 and Q10 planning to sell on the BlackBerry name alone without much marketing and not realizing how damaged the name is in the US to the average consumer. I still remember TH before the Q10 launch stating they expect to sell tens of millions of devices.

We all need to take into account a lot that has happened at BB and accept the Leap for what it is. For me personally, I'm set on purchasing a new Z30 and will pass on the Leap based not only on name, but missing features as well. I still cannot comprehend the name of the device which is the question being asked here. I can list off at least ten other names that would have worked perfectly for this device.

I see BlackBerry has put up a design story on the Leap and it will be interesting if we ever get to know the logic in the naming of the Leap unless it is already out there and I missed it. The name Leap can infer so many different things and attached to this device I'm only seeing negatives, but on the other hand what do I know! The Passport and Classic names have clearly defined purposes and make complete sense unlike the Leap which is what kinda caught me by surprise when the name Leap was revealed.

Sorry for the long post, did want to touch on some of your points regarding other things going on within the company and the short versus long-term goals that may or may not be in place though :-)

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the long posts especially on my passport hehehe, it's fine with me.

I hope you enjoy your Z30 as it is indeed a super phone. As for our running dialogue it is obvious we are both on the same page with our thoughts. So let's see how the blackberry business will evolve!

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 01:38 PM
    I honestly don't have a problem with the name. I actually prefer BlackBerry's new naming scheme over the old Z10/Z30/Q5/Q10 scheme which for some customers could be confusing and it also breaks away from the stigma that has surrounded BlackBerry during the time at which those devices were released.
    03-22-15 02:33 PM
    I honestly don't have a problem with the name. I actually prefer BlackBerry's new naming scheme over the old Z10/Z30/Q5/Q10 scheme which for some customers could be confusing and it also breaks away from the stigma that has surrounded BlackBerry during the time at which those devices were released.
    I have an issue with is name especially as the device does not reflect the standards the name represents hence Leap for a phone that is backwards or out of date with tech then for me Leap is wrong.

Also I do not think this name is targets a mature professional crowd but maybe more akin to a cheap low end budget phone you could pick up at news kiosk while waiting for your coffee to be made!

Still it's all matter of individual taste and opinion and that I respect.

Posted via CB10
    Hammad Mustafa likes this.
    03-22-15 02:47 PM
    It's a leap in the wrong direction.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:48 PM
    A small step for phone, a giant Leap for phonekind.
    vanrickman likes this.
    03-23-15 09:00 PM
    The name is not the problem. What is under the hood of this phone...is...a problem...

Cartman says: Screw you guys I'm going home!
    mighthor likes this.
    03-24-15 10:48 PM
    One thing for sure is the name Leap along with Classic and Passport indicates the Z and Q with accompanying numbers branding is done for. Not bad because there will be more overt differentiation between devices from now on.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    03-27-15 01:31 PM
75 123