I'm one week in with the Leap so I thought I would post small review...

I'll start by saying I was interested in the Leap for two reasons - (1) my Z10 (on AT&T) was just over two years old and as much as I love it and have enjoyed it I was ready to try something else out. My contract was up and could have gotten the Passport for $199 on contract but it wasn't phone was really looking forward to. I don't think I can make the switch back to phone with a keyboard after using an all-touch for 2+ years. (2) I was interested in a phone with a bigger screen after seeing my fiance's iPhone 6, so it was either the Z30 or the Leap.

My decision came down to the Leap because of the LTE Bands on AT&T, once I found the deal on Amazon where I ended up getting getting the Leap for $259 shipped I was sold.

Got the phone on Thursday last week, I wasn't expecting much based on people's negative thoughts on it but I was excited because I had gotten such a good deal and I was getting a new phone! Opened it up and first thought was whoa this is nice, it feels nice, looks nice and....it's a lot bigger! Once I fired it up the screen was amazing, it was crisp, clear and vibrant. It felt nice in the hand, a bit slippery at first and getting used to the shape was much different than my Z10.

Next, I was on to getting everything loaded up and setup the way I like on BB10. I used device switch to transfer all my data (contacts, texts, etc) and then loaded my apps one-by-one. While I was doing this process I of course was in and out of the phone and putting it through the ringer. It kept up and didn't slow down once....some of this can be attributed to BB10 (and how aweseome it is), but the phone held it's own and overall seemed faster than my Z10.

A week after using it, I love it - the battery and the larger screen were well worth the money of the upgrade imo. The battery (especially coming from the Z10 is terrific), I'm getting a full days use out of it and I don't think I've seen it drop below 50% yet. I added a matte screen protector to it and even with that the screen is still crisp, clear and bright. The camera is about the same as the Z10, takes good enough pictures and does the job. Calls are clear and normal, speeds on AT&T LTE are as expected and stay connected as they should. Apps (including Android apks) run great and haven't slowed down any.

I really can't say I have any complaints about the phone at all. I'll most def use this until there is a new flagship all-touch phone from BlackBerry! Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything or want me to check anything out....
    05-01-15 07:31 PM
    Thanks for the mini-review. It's nice to get opinions from regular users.

I do have one question:

Do you have any Android apps installed? If so, how do they perform relative to the Z10? Load times? Is the performance choppy? Stuff like that.

Thanks.
    05-01-15 07:46 PM
    Great to hear of your experience. I hope to pick one up as well!
    05-01-15 10:12 PM
    I haven't experienced any noticeable excessive lag or choppy time when running Android apps on my Leap. Personally, I feel that the Leap performs about as well as my 2+ gigahertz Nexus 5 did...

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-01-15 10:36 PM
    Congratulations and enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 10:38 PM
    Great review. Thanks for sharing. I've been curious to hear more user experiences with the leap. It sounds like a good device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-01-15 10:46 PM
    Sounds like a solid phone at a decent price.

What some of the negative reviewers forget is that BlackBerry OS is optimized for, and runs well on, "modest" hardware.

It's good to know the Leap handles android apps well.

On my Q10, I found android apps put a heavy strain on the battery. How is it with the Leap?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-01-15 10:53 PM
    Thanks for the mini-review. It's nice to get opinions from regular users.

I do have one question:

Do you have any Android apps installed? If so, how do they perform relative to the Z10? Load times? Is the performance choppy? Stuff like that.

Thanks.
    I have tons of android apps installed, all the usual plus a few more. There are a few that are choppy just like on the Z10, but most perform the same or better. Instagram for example ran great on my Z10 and runs even greater on the Leap. I actually prefer the iHeartRadio android version app over the native app, it seems to connect faster than the native. All my personal banking apps that are android versions open fast and perform as they should. The only app I had an issue with ( and not because of the phone) was the Nike Running app. There's a new version that says it requires Google services so I had to go back to the older version I had been using, which is a shame because the new version seemed to load faster on the Leap.

Any apps in particular you want to weigh in on, I'll be glad to give my opinion on their performance.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 11:46 PM
    Sounds like a solid phone at a decent price.

What some of the negative reviewers forget is that BlackBerry OS is optimized for, and runs well on, "modest" hardware.

It's good to know the Leap handles android apps well.

On my Q10, I found android apps put a heavy strain on the battery. How is it with the Leap?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    The only android apps I would notice a heavy drain on my Z10 was Waze. I actually had to use it on my Leap for the first time today (besides opening it up and making sure it worked) and it did great. I did notice a higher battery drain but since the battery is so much better/larger it didn't take as big of a hit. The battery holds up great overall, I had put it through a heavy use work day one day this past week and after 10+ hours I was down to only ~60%. That includes some really long phone calls.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-01-15 11:51 PM

I do have one question:

Thanks.
    Not the OP, but bought my wife a Leap to replace her two year old aging Z10. I loaded Cobalt's apk for Google Play on it, and it runs just fine. It's not as fast a my Passport by any means, but the Android apps run fine. The performance is not choppy, but load times are a little better than the Z.

Posted from my Passport. Seriously. You should get one.
    05-01-15 11:56 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nice review OP. Having used both Z10 and Z30, I am liking what I hear from LEAP users....and your review..

While I absolutely love my Passport as my daily driver, I may get the LEAP, also..... at that price too hard to resist!!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:17 AM
    Sounds good!

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    05-09-15 05:36 PM
    Nice review OP. Having used both Z10 and Z30, I am liking what I hear from LEAP users....and your review..

While I absolutely love my Passport as my daily driver, I may get the LEAP, also..... at that price too hard to resist!!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I wanted to get the Passport but the form factor has always sort of discouraged me especially since I always hold a bunch of stuff on my pockets.
    Now that I've actually held the Leap on my hands and played extensively with it before handing it over for mother's day. I actually really want to buy another one for me.
    It feels like a premium device for real...
    Truly wish my z30 came sporting that dress.
    It is an elegant device with a premium screen second to none for sure.
    Crisp and bright like that of my gf iphone 6 and much better looking than any samsung galaxy whatever.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 09:53 PM
    I'm one week in with the Leap so I thought I would post small review...

I'll start by saying I was interested in the Leap for two reasons - (1) my Z10 (on AT&T) was just over two years old and as much as I love it and have enjoyed it I was ready to try something else out. My contract was up and could have gotten the Passport for $199 on contract but it wasn't phone was really looking forward to. I don't think I can make the switch back to phone with a keyboard after using an all-touch for 2+ years. (2) I was interested in a phone with a bigger screen after seeing my fiance's iPhone 6, so it was either the Z30 or the Leap.

My decision came down to the Leap because of the LTE Bands on AT&T, once I found the deal on Amazon where I ended up getting getting the Leap for $259 shipped I was sold.

Got the phone on Thursday last week, I wasn't expecting much based on people's negative thoughts on it but I was excited because I had gotten such a good deal and I was getting a new phone! Opened it up and first thought was whoa this is nice, it feels nice, looks nice and....it's a lot bigger! Once I fired it up the screen was amazing, it was crisp, clear and vibrant. It felt nice in the hand, a bit slippery at first and getting used to the shape was much different than my Z10.

Next, I was on to getting everything loaded up and setup the way I like on BB10. I used device switch to transfer all my data (contacts, texts, etc) and then loaded my apps one-by-one. While I was doing this process I of course was in and out of the phone and putting it through the ringer. It kept up and didn't slow down once....some of this can be attributed to BB10 (and how aweseome it is), but the phone held it's own and overall seemed faster than my Z10.

A week after using it, I love it - the battery and the larger screen were well worth the money of the upgrade imo. The battery (especially coming from the Z10 is terrific), I'm getting a full days use out of it and I don't think I've seen it drop below 50% yet. I added a matte screen protector to it and even with that the screen is still crisp, clear and bright. The camera is about the same as the Z10, takes good enough pictures and does the job. Calls are clear and normal, speeds on AT&T LTE are as expected and stay connected as they should. Apps (including Android apks) run great and haven't slowed down any.

I really can't say I have any complaints about the phone at all. I'll most def use this until there is a new flagship all-touch phone from BlackBerry! Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything or want me to check anything out....
    I just ordered a Leap from Amazon as well. Supposed to be here on Wed. I read in another post that a user went through 3 Leaps because of dead buttons? Is yours ok? He said no tactile feedback so I assume he means no click to them and maybe a mushy feel? I'm assuming he got a bad batch as others who've bought from Amazon seem happy..

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 10:29 PM
    I just ordered a Leap from Amazon as well. Supposed to be here on Wed. I read in another post that a user went through 3 Leaps because of dead buttons? Is yours ok? He said no tactile feedback so I assume he means no click to them and maybe a mushy feel? I'm assuming he got a bad batch as others who've bought from Amazon seem happy..

Posted via CB10
    My volume buttons on the side are great, but the power button is a bit mushy compared to my Z10. It's not bad enough that I would ask for an exchange, yet. At first I thought about maybe asking for an exchange but I decided once I got a case for it, it would probably be perfect. And plus I didn't want to go through the hassle of loading everything back on once I got the new device.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 10:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like overall your phone is fine. I just dont want another phone like my z30 with wobbly buttons. Which is annoying. My volume buttons are taped so they don't wobble bad and the power button is all loose on top. I try not to let it bother me. I was just hoping when my leap arrived it'd be good and hopefully it will.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 11:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like overall your phone is fine. I just dont want another phone like my z30 with wobbly buttons. Which is annoying. My volume buttons are taped so they don't wobble bad and the power button is all loose on top. I try not to let it bother me. I was just hoping when my leap arrived it'd be good and hopefully it will.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I wouldn't say any of them are wobbly, but the power button is most def more mushy than I'm used to.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 11:21 PM
    What os version are you on? I got my leap like yesterday and I'm not experiencing the best battery life. As you've an see my battery isn't supposedly lasting the 25 hours. I know it may take a couple days for the phone to settle but I've never had this issue with my passport or classic before.

Can you please tell me what os version your on? My leap says that it's the latest os version updated.

A week with my Leap-img_20150513_102846.png

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:06 AM
    I got my leap today from amazon but am returning it as they sent the European version with euro charger and it won't pick up the att lte bands. Debating whether to order another once I'm refunded.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 03:51 PM
    I got my leap today from amazon but am returning it as they sent the European version with euro charger and it won't pick up the att lte bands. Debating whether to order another once I'm refunded.

Posted via CB10
    What a disappointment. What made you go for the Leap in the first place? What's changed since then?
    05-13-15 03:54 PM
    Yeah. Tell me about it. I was so excited setting it up and then noticed the wrong charger and no lte. I wanted it as I wanted a newer blackberry and this seemed like a decent choice at a fair price. The phone is really nice guy it it's the wrong version. It was shipped by Amazon but from other persons but not a market place order. Now when you go to page it says shipped and sold from amazon. I assumed it was same phone as it was listed under where everyone else was getting the versions that worked on att. I may order again.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 03:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hat is disappointing. But don't let their mistake deter you from getting another! Hopefully they don't make the same mistake twice.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 04:01 PM
    I know. Just irritating. Ups will pick up the first tmw I think so I'll go ahead and order another. They'll just refund for the first phone i guess once it's received.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 04:03 PM
    My second leap I ordered shipped earlier. I'll have it tmw. They gave me free one day shipping because I said it was a hassle to receive wrong device. Did everyone else that got theirs from amazon have it shipped from west Columbia south Carolina? That's where the wrong one shipped from. Maybe thats the only location?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 06:49 PM
    Just got my Leap after previously using a Q5 for 2 years. Really liked my Q5 but really impressed with the Leap so far, pleased that I made the purchase!

Posted via my BlackBerry Leap
    05-15-15 04:47 PM
30 12