I really don't understand why anyone would by a leap when you can easily buy a Z30, a superior device with more features, for the same price or less.
    I don't understand that either.
    Do they pay more for looks? Ask those who pay $300 for $50 Fossil watches when they are re-badged as "Micheal Kors".
    I guess it's just like that, they might like the way Leap looks, or assume it is a better/newer devices just because it is recently released. Or it is possible Z30 may not be available in their country anymore. I know it is cheaper in USA but case might be different in other countries.

Instead of taking the best all-touch Blackberry so far and upgrading it to something better so Z30 users would have something that actually looks decent (not a matte slab of device with cheap looking plastic frame and wobbly volume rocker and ultra sensitive play/pause/mute button) they come out with this "Leap" I guess it's Leap backwards.
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    04-23-15 10:56 AM
    Just because my opinion differs from yours....

I've handled plenty of iPhones, mainly from people who think if they let me hold theirs I'll see the light and throw my BlackBerry away and in my view they feel cheap, compared to my Passport.

What's really childish is the Hate Brigade who are constantly trying to undermine the best phones running the best OS. They are the ones who spoil crackberry.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    If you think that Premium feel means that the phone has to weigh like a brick choose a BB but that is not the case the 6 and 6 plus are the Premium standard and light with the best os out there.
    04-23-15 11:09 AM
    It is a step in the proper direction for BlackBerry. Use up all the left over parts you can to maximize profits, while giving a brand new "meat and potatoes " device, at a decent price point.

That is business folks. Why discard valid and useful parts because they haven't sold in a previous device? Doesn't make any logic to me.

John Chen isn't the CEO for being an idi**you know....

Posted from BlackBerry Z10.
    Slow Joe likes this.
    04-23-15 11:09 AM
    It is a step in the proper direction for BlackBerry. Use up all the left over parts you can to maximize profits, while giving a brand new "meat and potatoes " device, at a decent price point.

That is business folks. Why discard valid and useful parts because they haven't sold in a previous device? Doesn't make any logic to me.

John Chen isn't the CEO for being an idi**you know....

That's great unless you have to write down all those parts anyway because the phone didn't sell well.
    04-23-15 11:13 AM
    Where is the op?

Z10 stl100-1 , os 10.3.1.1581
    04-23-15 11:13 AM
    Where is the op?

Z10 stl100-1 , os 10.3.1.1581
    he is enjoying with new baby

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 11:21 AM
    If you think that Premium feel means that the phone has to weigh like a brick choose a BB but that is not the case the 6 and 6 plus are the Premium standard and light with the best os out there.
    I use both a new IPhone and a Z10. The
    IPhone is for a job I have and the Z10 is for my full time writing and personal phone. Apple did a lot of things right with the IPhone and most of its functionality is correct. Some things like auto correct and the keyboard are maddening. Also the locked down world of Apple is best only for those that need their hands held.

Is one more of a premium phone in feel and construction? I am not a fan of lightweight technology. It can be wonderful for those lacking basic body strength but the heft of a BlackBerry has always felt right. In addition the security of less worry in regards to durability is essential. I do see the appeal on the IPhone but it's limitations are too numerous for me.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    tmf06 likes this.
    04-23-15 11:37 AM
    LMAO - Nuff said
    04-23-15 12:22 PM
    Yes, by all means...that's what quality is judged by...lol. Whatever.

04-23-15 12:45 PM
    That's great unless you have to write down all those parts anyway because the phone didn't sell well.
    The problem is everyone - including the critics are anticipating this move by BlackBerry. Same with the Curve series and the 9800/9810 Torch series that had marginal upgrades. Also, it wasn't that long ago comments were made about the processors being used from previous devices. Good or bad......I dunno. Yep....it's business. The other side of it will be, are these devices cheap enough to sell? Personally, I'm good with my Z30.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-15 01:24 PM
    I think they are actually streamlining the product chain with these new devices. If they are cheaper and faster to produce then they can do stuff like what they are doing with the Leap. Is this the fastest announcement-to-shipping device since BB10 came out?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:30 PM
    I don't use gps on my phone so this isn't ever an issue for me. BlackBerry has no offline map support and my carrier limits my data heavily.

Posted via Q5
    Mireo Don't Panic is an exceptional offline mapping app found in BlackBerry World, others exist.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:50 PM
    Why do you have to make that remark? Honestly, it's childish behaviour like yours that renders CrackBerry's discussions into a stupid bashing of other platforms. If you don't like iPhones, then don't bring them up and focus on the topic, PLEASE.

OT- How does it run Android Apps?

Posted via CB10
    It would've been hilarious if you had ended your post with, "So now, is the camera good or does it suck like a crappy Galaxy phone?"
    04-23-15 03:32 PM
    It would've been hilarious if you had ended your post with, "So now, is the camera good or does it suck like a crappy Galaxy phone?"
    Haha, missed the chance :P

Posted via CB10
    Slow Joe likes this.
    04-23-15 04:51 PM
    Using a BlackBerry leap what do you want to know??-kksus.jpg

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-23-15 04:57 PM
    don't think I have EVER used the compass on my passport or any phone infact
    I used it as a novelty once or twice (I liked the UI), but not sure I've ever used it in practice.
    04-23-15 06:18 PM
    Space grey

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:07 PM
    Unfortunately the speaker isn't

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:11 PM
    The speakers leave something to be desired and the color I have is space grey

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:14 PM
    Without the compass your maps are not going to align up properly (ie North Up or direction of travel pointing up). It is a huge hassle.
    The maps app will try to use your direction of travel to align the map but this doesn't always work properly. Further, if you are not moving it will not work at all.
    So, yes, compass is really essential.

(PS: I have used a phone with GPS but without compass earlier and it was not a good experience at all)
    Not true at all. Maps uses A-GPS to determine your direction and orientation, not the magnetometer.
    04-23-15 08:19 PM
    if anybody could answer please.. I understand that the z30 has better specs than the leap (I am using a z30) and its the perfect device although after having it for almost 2 years I find it very laggy and delayed in things like loading or typing... this may be a software thing though so I need to check device monitor etc. anyway either way I am thinking of buying a new z30 to have a fresh phone.. or maybe the leap.

do apps on the leap load as quickly as they do on a z30.. both native and android? is typing smooth.. as well as scrollinh through the os?

according to comments above about no compass.. are services like google maps really compromised that they are unrelaiable and nowhere near how it is on the z30?? or is it a slight exaggeration?

ultimately, does the spec difference really make a difference in the overall use of the phones.. loading apps, typing etc? that's my biggest question... I don't use NFC, but use the hdmi feature quite a lot... although I am willing to compromise if the leap is as good as the z30!

if anyone could answer any of my questions it would be much appreciated!
    04-24-15 03:57 AM
    Not true at all. Maps uses A-GPS to determine your direction and orientation, not the magnetometer.
    Not if you're standing still. GPS alone can't figure out your orientation, or which way your pointing your phone without the compass.

Other apps can use the compass too. The Android app, LTE Discovery, can display an arrow to the tower you're connected to. That wouldn't be possible without the compass. As you turn the device in one place, the arrow rotates relative to the phone's rotation.

Sure, once you start moving, GPS can figure your direction of travel, but that's the only time.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 09:12 AM
    The LTE Discovery app needs to be on Mobile Network for that arrow to work properly. If WiFi is turned on, it cannot seem to establish the location.
    Also once you go to a different and pull it up again, it cannot seem to find you anymore.

But that's just besides the point. My point was that on a Leap, this app will be severely crippled in function.
    But my Z10 has no WiFi Direct or Miracast. So I have to weigh what's more important.
    Now the battery life is totally tempting, I have told admit. That would be a revelation compared to the Z10.
    Also the fact that the LEAP has no 5G WiFi seems lame at first. But have yet to be on. 5G WiFi network that was worth a damn, particularly in range. This crap has been nothing but trouble anywhere with any device so far. Sorry, I have nothing but negative to say so far, and I think this whole 5G thing is useless.
    So far every 2.4G network I have been on was superior, never had an issue with congestion or the likes.
    Another thing that is a plus is the bigger screen, at least for me, as I need reading glasses now for the Z10 screen already, or have to zoom everything that I can.
    The speaker on the back...not sure what they were thinking...that bugged me on my Torch already in the day. I don't want to lay my phone face down like it is all the rage now.
    I want to know how the speaker compares to the Z10. Anything lower than that is unacceptable!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 10:06 AM
    Just received my Leap. Have to say that it feels better quality than I would have expected. Not as cheap as the Z10, probably due to its weight which isn't as heavy as was expecting. It looks and feels like a well made device. Not sluggish in any way, and the screen is slightly nicer than the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 03:15 PM
    I don't understand that either.
    Do they pay more for looks? Ask those who pay $300 for $50 Fossil watches when they are re-badged as "Micheal Kors".
    I guess it's just like that, they might like the way Leap looks, or assume it is a better/newer devices just because it is recently released. Or it is possible Z30 may not be available in their country anymore. I know it is cheaper in USA but case might be different in other countries.

Instead of taking the best all-touch Blackberry so far and upgrading it to something better so Z30 users would have something that actually looks decent (not a matte slab of device with cheap looking plastic frame and wobbly volume rocker and ultra sensitive play/pause/mute button) they come out with this "Leap" I guess it's Leap backwards.
    Maybe some just don't want a Z30? Or maybe some just really like the Leap? Just because the Z30 has better specs it is still an older phone. It is possible to produce a new, "lesser spec'd" phone that is quite good you know. As I mentioned in another thread, the Leap might be all the phone that a person needs. I mean, I stuck with my Z10 because I did not need the Z30. You know, this whole Crackberry thing amuses me as we might as well be Android Central these days: it's not only BlackBerry vs. the World, now it is Z30 owners against the Leap, Z3, and probably the Q10 and Q5, too.

And for the billionth time; the Leap is not, was not, never was supposed to be, never will be, and so on since Day One the successor to the Z30. That is what the Slider is going to be. And if the Z30 is so effin' awesome why do you all want to upgrade, anyways? I mean, the Z30 fanboys continuously tell everyone else not to consider the other BB10 phones and to go for the Z30 instead.

Don't want a Leap, don't buy one. Everyone has their opinions, sure, but it would be nice if we could enjoy one thread that is not about the Z30, Passport, or "Slider" without someone telling us we are stupid...
    04-24-15 04:11 PM
108 12345