I phoned Blackberry Support and Jerry fixed the problem. Here is what she did (in her words)

"For the steps that we did on troubleshooting the connection between your device and the BlackBerry Link. Go to control panel > device manager > right click on the BlackBerry label > properties > update drivers > browse > Program files x86 > Common files > Research In Motion > Keep the Research in Motion highlighted > Click on OK > Close it after the drivers are updated > Actions > Update drivers > connect the device again > by then the device should be detected by the BlackBerry Link.

After troubleshooting the connection, we performed the device switch. Open the BlackBerry Link > Plug in the Old BlackBerry Device > There will be an option Transfer data on the Link > Click on transfer > after the Link transfer the data from the old device unplug the old device > Plug in the new device > an icon of a new device will show, click it > then the device switch will then work."
    05-26-15 05:16 PM
    Is there a question here or are you just sharing the solution? Rather hard to tell.
    05-27-15 12:24 AM
    I am sharing the solution.
    05-27-15 11:40 PM