The Z30 STA100-5 only has 3 LTE bands of which only two of those are used in the USA. They are band 5 and band 4. Band 5 is used very little by AT&T and not used at all on T-Mobile. Band 4 is used in limited areas by AT&T (Almost all areas use band 17 which the Z30 does not have). Band 4 is T-Mobile's main LTE band but they are using band 2 very heavily now and in the future along with band 12. Band 2 and 12 are not on the Z30.
    So, as you can see, here in the USA the Z30 is very limited for LTE coverage on AT&T and although on T-Mobile there is good band 4 coverage, many areas are going to be band 2 and 12 as T-Mobile expands LTE coverage. The Z30 STA100-1 which was supposed to be for AT&T and T-Mobile was never produced.
    Your best bet for full coverage using a Z30 is to buy a Verizon Z30 and use it on Verizon. If you want to use a Z30 on AT&T or T-Mobile then you are going to find very limited LTE coverage. On T-Mobile, rural areas will mostly be band 2 and 12 LTE.
    Stop picking on the Leap. It has 7 LTE bands and 5 of those are used in the USA. It's not a bad phone and has way better LTE coverage on AT&T and T-Mobile than the Z30. The Leap is not a better phone than the Z30, sure, I know that. But if LTE coverage is important to you (which it should be) than it is time to consider a Leap.
    Let's not forget also about the Leap's far better screen than the Z30.
    gokulesh, nightridah and adonesc like this.
    06-27-15 12:56 PM
    Some people like the lower battery consumption and the colour pop of the Z30 display over the brighter Leap display - but that's just a matter of opinion.

I think LTE is seriously overrated, but if it's important to you, then that's a very valid concern.

I, personally, value the HDMI-out, NFC, and USB-OTG far more. The increased speed is nice too - not drastic, but noticeable for sure.

I'm not dumping on the Leap. I've used it, and it's nice (and I prefer the look of it). I'd still grab a Z30 if I could find one instead though.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    06-27-15 01:02 PM
    Amen! The Leap radio is the best radio for ATT customers in the States. Cannot comment on the rest of the world. That is one of the main reasons to purchase a Leap over the Z30 that are now on fire sale. I hope the Leap does well for blackberry.
    lift likes this.
    06-27-15 01:04 PM
    I took a Z30 STA100-5 to Greece for a week and it worked just fine without LTE.

In my home I get 2 bars of LTE but 5 bars of 3G.

I think it really depends.

I also own a Q5 but my carrier hasn't turned on carrier aggregation so even though it owns spectrum in 2 and 17, we can't use it yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 01:30 PM
    Oh and I bought a NFC sim last night to try out. It will work in my Z30 and Q5 with my credit card.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 01:32 PM
    There are more Z30 versions, not just the -5 version... I have the -2

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 05:14 PM
    There are more Z30 versions, not just the -5 version... I have the -2

Posted via CB10
    I know, and I was talking about the USA. The -2 has ZERO LTE bands that will work in the USA.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-27-15 09:00 PM
    Is 42 Mbps HSPA+ so terrible?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 09:10 PM
    Is 42 Mbps HSPA+ so terrible?

Posted via CB10
    Are you kidding me? You will typically see about 5 Mbps in a real world scenario if you are lucky.
    Why would you want to cripple yourself by buying a device today that does not have sufficient bands for the USA market if you live here.
    Again people, the STA100-5 was not designed to be for the USA market. The STA100-1 was and no USA carrier wanted to carry it so it never was released.
    The STA100-5 was designed for Canadian carriers.
    06-28-15 09:46 AM
    Well the us market for BlackBerry is small, for most of the rest of the world the Z30 still is a beter choice than the leap... in essence you're saying you're tired of hearing the cellular market outside the US is better? :-p

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 06:30 PM
    Just feel the leap is an overpriced phone. Camera is trash, speaker sucks, but I like the shape and feel of the phone.
    06-28-15 06:48 PM
    I'd honestly still take the Z30 over the leap - the LTE bands isn't enough of a reason to give up all the other advantages of the Z30 like USB-OTG, Miracast, hdmi-out, battery life, speakers, and paratek antennae.

You could always use the Z30 on WiFi and make do with 3G when WiFi isn't available.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    06-28-15 06:49 PM
    I'd honestly still take the Z30 over the leap - the LTE bands isn't enough of a reason to give up all the other advantages of the Z30 like USB-OTG, Miracast, hdmi-out, battery life, speakers, and paratek antennae.

You could always use the Z30 on WiFi and make do with 3G when WiFi isn't available.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    Leap has Miracast, Excellent battery life and Paratek antenna too. Also has a better display than Z30.
    06-28-15 09:14 PM
    Amen! The Leap radio is the best radio for ATT customers in the States. Cannot comment on the rest of the world. That is one of the main reasons to purchase a Leap over the Z30 that are now on fire sale. I hope the Leap does well for blackberry.
    This.

There's no question about which full touch for AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    06-28-15 09:16 PM
    Leap has Miracast, Excellent battery life and Paratek antenna too. Also has a better display than Z30.
    Better display? That's subject to opinion. As one poster has already stated earlier, some people like the color representation from the Z30 super amoled display over the Leap's LCD display.

The Leap is a good phone but when you have access to something like the Z30 at its current price point. It's hard to give the Leap a second look, especially if you have a Z30 already and are looking for an alternative.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Nugzie likes this.
    06-29-15 07:13 PM
    The Leap is a good phone but when you have access to something like the Z30 at its current price point. It's hard to give the Leap a second look, especially if you have a Z30 already and are looking for an alternative.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    My thoughts exactly..

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 08:23 PM
    Do you just need some public affirmation? OK. Z50, you've made the right decision. The Leap is awesome and perfect for you.

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2252
    06-29-15 08:46 PM
    The issue here is that BlackBerry once again made this an issue.

Remember the Z30 'lower screen density' than Z10 debacle?

Why give people any 'is it really an upgrade' talking points? The Leap should have just been the Z30 with better LTE radio support, their new shape theme, and made under more favorable manufacturing deals. No one would be questioning why it costs $50 more than the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    lift and Blacklatino like this.
    06-29-15 09:27 PM

Why give people any 'is it really an upgrade' talking points? The Leap should have just been the Z30 with better LTE radio support, their new shape theme, and made under more favorable manufacturing deals. No one would be questioning why it costs $50 more than the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    True dat

06-29-15 09:42 PM
    Do you just need some public affirmation? OK. Z50, you've made the right decision. The Leap is awesome and perfect for you.

Looks more to me that you are a little insecure and want to feel superior because you own a Z30. Sure, the Z30 is a spectacular phone, but not in all circumstances and not with all carriers. So back off.
    06-30-15 12:56 PM
    Just feel the leap is an overpriced phone. Camera is trash, speaker sucks, but I like the shape and feel of the phone.
    Yeah. Without text "BlackBerry" looks like Jolla phone .. in front view.
    I like this design (Jolla owned).
    06-30-15 03:02 PM
    But wall projector in my work have not miracast, only HDMI. And no way for me to buy Miracast dongle for work.

Better display?? Yes, IPS LCD is better and have more colours for "facebook photos". But who need it? For work? Nobody ..
    Always I prefer Amoled before IPS-LCD .. because it is better readable. Black is real black. Black theme in browser reader mode is perfect for me ..
    06-30-15 03:10 PM
    People should stop being cheap and get both.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:06 PM
    Looks more to me that you are a little insecure and want to feel superior because you own a Z30. Sure, the Z30 is a spectacular phone, but not in all circumstances and not with all carriers. So back off.
    Virtual threat. Ha ha. Backing off Z50, backing off.

Posted on CB10 using my Z30 STA 100-5 on OS 10.3.2.2339
    07-10-15 11:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Key point,,,,,as usual. Not the first time either. Same thing happened after the 9810 was released. I bought it because I was tired of waiting for the 9900- with delay after delay. Once the 9900 was released, we had to hear the same thing from the 9900 owners. Whether it was a better smartphone or not is subjective. OP, enjoy your BlackBerry. I've never used the Leap and honestly, the only reason the wife and I purchased the Z30 is we were both tired of waiting for BlackBerry to get their ish together and release something new and didn't want to go Android or Apple. Even as an older BlackBerry, the Z30 is a good investment. I have Wifi at home and at work. So, as at&t expands/updates thru Texas, I'm good with the two bands- which should make for a better battery life. LTE is a battery drainer. On here, when the words "I'm sick and/or tired" are used in the subject......you already know what typically follows. So far, we're good here. Anyway, Enjoy.
    07-11-15 12:42 AM
26 12