Hello

I have repaired numerous Z10's, Z30's and the occasional Q10. A friend has given me his Leap and a new LCD Digi to fit. I would appreciate any info anyone has about replacing this screen as i cannot find anything online in the way of a teardown, disassemble vid.

I would appreciate any help as he is only in my town for today so i have limited timescales!

Look forward to any responses, or pointers!
    Cheers
    Brett
    01-11-16 04:47 AM
    Hi, thanks for the response!

So feeling my way through it, the way I eventually found was to peel the Sticker off that covers the flash/camera using a gentle heat and sharp knife. This then reveals the 2 Torx screws (T4 i think) that hold the screen assembly in place. This then slides up and out carefully as the connections will still be in place.

I disconnected both these connections. You can leave the top one intact and fixed to the screen bezel. The bottom one you have to gently pair it away from the back of the assembly. As the screen I was replacing was smashed beyond use, I used more heat and a scalpel to remove the LCD from the bezel frame. After i had cleaned it out from the shards and air cleaned it, I was able to fix the new screen into the frame and backtrack through the stages. After I had connected the last two cables into the phone i powered up and job jobbed. Obviously I then replaced the Torx and then the sticker around the camera/flash assembly.

I am not posting this as an official "How To" by any means, more just as a very rough guide for anyone else out there who may have the same problem and obviously we all know the potential hazards and warranty issues we can face when opening up a phone so proceed with your own caution!

Cheers
    Brett
    Best I could do was find a Z3 video, it's in the neighborhood. Maybe you can use it as a rough guide, and feel your way?

01-11-16 08:39 AM

So feeling my way through it, the way I eventually found was to peel the Sticker off that covers the flash/camera using a gentle heat and sharp knife. This then reveals the 2 Torx screws (T4 i think) that hold the screen assembly in place. This then slides up and out carefully as the connections will still be in place.

I disconnected both these connections. You can leave the top one intact and fixed to the screen bezel. The bottom one you have to gently pair it away from the back of the assembly. As the screen I was replacing was smashed beyond use, I used more heat and a scalpel to remove the LCD from the bezel frame. After i had cleaned it out from the shards and air cleaned it, I was able to fix the new screen into the frame and backtrack through the stages. After I had connected the last two cables into the phone i powered up and job jobbed. Obviously I then replaced the Torx and then the sticker around the camera/flash assembly.

I am not posting this as an official "How To" by any means, more just as a very rough guide for anyone else out there who may have the same problem and obviously we all know the potential hazards and warranty issues we can face when opening up a phone so proceed with your own caution!

Cheers
    Brett
    pkcable likes this.
    01-11-16 09:48 AM

Cheers
    Brett
    06-06-16 04:19 PM
    Very helpful, Brett. Is it possible to just replace the screen? I've ordered a new one - $20 vs $75 for complete digitizer. Expect it to arrive any day...
    06-06-16 04:22 PM
    Thanks, Is there any way you could post a link or send me a message to the product that you have got? I could then see if it was similar to the one I fitted and possibly help from there. Brett
    06-07-16 02:39 AM
    Very helpful, Brett. Is it possible to just replace the screen? I've ordered a new one - $20 vs $75 for complete digitizer. Expect it to arrive any day...
    Do you mean the LCD panel only?

I replaced mine with the LCD and digitizer without the plastic frame piece.. And it wasn't that fun.

I would say make sure you have the skills to be able to peel off the digitizer panel from the old LCD or bring it to the repair shop to do. They are glued together pretty good.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-07-16 07:00 PM
    Hi, Apologies if i didnt make it clear in my initial post.

I did the same as DetritalGeo indicates. As far as i could see online, i was only able to purchase the LCD and Digitizer without the plastic frame/bezel that it sits in.

As mentioned above, they are stuck in pretty good and you need to make sure if the crack has spread right to the edge, that you are able to get all the screen out (including shards if any) in order to re-seat the new screen flush.

Hope this helps
    06-08-16 10:37 AM
    Screen cracked BlackBerry leap.. please suggest where do I find new. Location India
    Also price.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 08:49 AM
    Screen cracked BlackBerry leap.. please suggest where do I find new. Location India
    Also price.

Posted via CB10
    Did you check on Ebay?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 05:28 PM